- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Superoxide Dismutase Isoenzyme Activities in Plasma and Tissues of Iraqi Patients with Breast Cancer
- Hasan, Hathama Razooki (Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Baghdad) ;
- Mathkor, Thikra Hasan (Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Baghdad) ;
- Al-Habal, Mohammed Hasan (Department of Chemistry, College of Science, University of Baghdad)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Breast cancer is the first of the most common ten cancers in Iraq. Its etiology is multifactorial, oxidative stress and lipid peroxidation being suggested to play important roles in carcinogenesis. The purpose of this study was to investigate the oxidant-antioxidant status in breast cancer patients, by measuring SOD isoenzyme activities (total SOD, CuZn-SOD, Mn-SOD and EC-SOD) in plasma and breast tumors, and by estimating thiobarbituric reactive substances (TBRS) in tissue homogenates. General increase in total SOD activity was observed in plasma and tissue samples of breast tumors, greater in the malignant when compared to benign group (p<0.05). Mn-SOD showed a significant decrease in tissue malignant samples (p<0.05), and insignificant decrease in plasma malignant samples compared with control and benign samples. Plasma EC-SOD activity in both patient benign and malignant breast tumors demonstrated 3.5% and 22.8% increase, respectively. However, there was a decrease in tissue EC-SOD activity in malignant breast tumors when compared with benign. A similar tendency was noted for TBRS. We suggest that elevated total SOD might reflect a response to oxidative stress, and then may predict a state of excess reactive oxygen species in the carcinogenesis process. If there is proteolytic removal of the heparin binding domain, EC-SOD will lose its affinity for the extracellular matrix and diffuse out of the tissue. This will result in a decreased EC-SOD activity, thus leading to an increase in the steady-state concentration of
- Akbulut H, Akbulut KG, Icli, et al (2003). Daily variation of plasma malondialdehyde levels in patients with early breast cancer. Cancer Detect Prev, 27, 122-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0361-090X(03)00029-1
- Alagol E, Erdem E, Sancak B, et al (1999). Nitric oxide biosynthesis and malondialdeyhde levels in advanced breast cancer. Aust NZJ Surg, 69, 647-0. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1440-1622.1999.01656.x
- Alwan NAS (2010). Breast cancer, demographic characteristics and clinico-pathological presentation of patients in Iraq. EMHJ, 16, 1159-4.
- Ames BN (1983). Dietary carcinogens and anticarcinogenes oxygen radicals and degenerative diseases. Science, 221, 1256-4. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.6351251
- Arid KM, Allensworth JL, Batinic-Haberle I, et al (2012). ErbB1/2 tyrosine kinase inhibitor mediates oxidative stressinduced apoptosis in inflammatory breast cancer cells. Breast Cancer Res Treat, 132, 109-9. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-011-1568-1
- Brown NS, Bicknell R (2001). Hypoxia and oxidative stress in breast cancer Oxidative stress: its effects on the growth, metastatic potential and response to therapy of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Res, 3, 323-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/bcr315
- Budroe JD, Umemura T, Angeloff K, et al (1992). Dose-response relationships of hepatic acyl-CoA oxidase and catalase activity and liver mitogenesis induced by the peroxisome proliferators ciprofibrate in C57BL/6N and BALB/C mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol, 113, 192-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0041-008X(92)90114-8
- Buettner GR (2011). Superoxide dismutase in redox biology: the roles of superoxide and hydrogen peroxide. Anticancer Agents Med Chem, 11, 341-6. https://doi.org/10.2174/187152011795677544
- Cerutti P, Larsson R, Krupitza G, et al (1989). Pathophysiological mechanisms of active oxygen. Mutat Res, 214, 81-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0027-5107(89)90200-5
- Cerutti PA (1985). Prooxidant states and tumor promotion. Science, 227, 375-1. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.2981433
- Conrade E, (1998)"Heparin-Binding Protein"Academic Press, USA 351-6.
- Dean RT, Shanlin FU, Stoker R, et al (1997). Biochemical & pathology of radical medicated protein oxide. Biochem J, 324, 1-18.
- Demple B, (1991). Regulation of bacterial oxidative stress genes. Annu Rev Genet, 25, 315-7. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.ge.25.120191.001531
- Dionisi D, Galeotti T, Terranove T, et al (1975). Superoxide radicals and hydrogen peroxide formation in mitochondria from normal and neoplastic tissue. Biochim Biophys Acta, 403, 292-0. https://doi.org/10.1016/0005-2744(75)90059-5
- Durak I, Isik AC, Canbolat O, et al (1993). Adenosine deaminase,'5-nucleolidase,xanthine Oxidase, Superoxide dismutase, and catalase activities in cancerous and noncancerous human laryngeal tissue. Free Radic Biol Med, 15, 681-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(93)90174-S
- Durak I,Perk H,Kavutcu M, et al (1994). Adenosine deaminase,'5-nucleolidase, xanthine Oxidase, Superoxide dismutase, and catalase activities in cancerous and noncancerous human bladder tissues. Free Radic Biol Med, 16, 825-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(94)90199-6
- Enghild JJ, Thgersen IB, Oury TD, et al (1999). The heparinbinding domain of extracellular superoxide dismutase is proteolytically processed intracellularly during biosynthesis. J Biol Chem, 274, 14818-2. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.274.21.14818
- Gonenc A, Erten D, Aslan S, et al (2006). Lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status in blood and tissue of malignant breast tumor and benign breast disease. Cell Biol Int, 30, 376-0. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cellbi.2006.02.005
- Guo G, Yan-Sanders Y, D Lyn-Cook B, et al (2003). Manganese superoxide dismutase-mediated gene expression in radiationinduced adaptive responses. Mol Cell Biol, 23, 2362-8. https://doi.org/10.1128/MCB.23.7.2362-2378.2003
- Gutteridge JMC (1995). Lipid peroxidation and antioxidants as biomarkers of tissue damage. Clin Chem, 41,1819-8.
Guyton KZ, Liu Y, Gorospe M, et al (1996). Activation of Mitogen-activated Protein kinase by
$H_2O_2$. J Bio Chem, 217, 4138-2.
- Halliwell B, (1982). Production of superoxide hydrogen peroxide and hydroxyl radicals by phagocytic cells, a cause of chronic inflammatory disease. Cell Biol Int Rep, 6, 529-2. https://doi.org/10.1016/0309-1651(82)90175-8
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JM (1985). The importance of free radicals & catalytic metals ions in human diseases. Mol Aspects Med, 8, 89-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0098-2997(85)90001-9
- Halliwell B, Gutteridge JM (1999). Free radicals in biology & medicine 3rd, PP129 Oxford university Press New York.
- Hasan HR, Numan AW (2009). Extracellular superoxide dismutase changes in patients with different brain tumors. Iraqi J Sci, 50,1-7.
- Hassan HM, Fridovich I (1981). Chemistry & biochemistry of Superoxide dismutase. Eur J Rheumtol inflamm, 4,160-2.
- Hietanen E, Punnonen K, Punnonen R, et al (1989). Fatty acids composition and lipid peroxiddation in human breast cancer and lipoma tissue. Carcinogenesis, 7, 1965-9.
- Hirayama A, Nagase S, Gotoh M, et al (2000). Hemodialysis does not influence the peroxidative state already present in uremia. Nephron, 86, 436-0. https://doi.org/10.1159/000045831
- Holley AK, Dhar SK, Xu Y, et al (2012). Manganese superoxide dismutase: beyond life and death. Amino Acids, 42, 139-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00726-010-0600-9
- Iwase K, Kato K, Ohtani S, et al (1997). The relation between Superoxide dismutase in cancer tissue and clinic-pathological features in breast cancer. Breast Cancer, 4, 155-0. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02967069
- Karlsson K, Marklund SL (1987). Heparin-induced release of Extracellular superoxide dismutase to human blood plasma. Biochem J, 242, 55-9.
- Karlsson K, Marklund SL (1988). Extracellular superoxide dismutase in the vascular system of mammals. Biochem J, 255, 223-8.
- Lin Y, Kikuchi S, Obata Y, et al (2002). Serum copper/zinc superoxide dismutase (Cu/Zn SOD) and gastric cancer risk, a case-control study. Jpn J Cancer Res, 93,1071-5. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2002.tb01207.x
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, et al (1951). Protein measurement with Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem, 1193, 265-5.
- Margaret Ay Ly, Syahruddin E, Wanandi SI (2011). Low activity of Mn-SOD in blood of lung cancer patients with smoking history, relationship to oxidative stress. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 12, 3049-3.
- Marklund SL, Holme E, Hellner L (1982). Superoxide dismutase in extracellular fluids. Clin Chim Acta, 126, 41-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-8981(82)90360-6
- Marklund, SL (1984). Extracellular superoxide dismutase and other superoxide dismutase isoenzymes in tissues from nine mammalian species. Biochem J, 222, 649-5.
- Mitrunen K, Sillanpaa P, Kataja V, et al (2001). Association between manganese superoxide dismutase (Mn-SOD) gene polymorphism and breast cancer risk. Carcinogenesis, 22, 827-9. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/22.5.827
- Mobley JA and Brueggemeier RW (2004). Estrogen receptormediated regulation of oxidative stress and DNA damage in breast cancer. Carcinogenesis, 25, 3-9.
- Monteiro HP, Stern A (1996). Redox modulation of tyrosine phosphorylation - dependent signal transduction pathways. Free Radic Biol Med, 21, 323-3. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(96)00051-2
- Moraes EC, Keyse SM, Tyrrell MR (1990). Mutagenesis by hydrogen peroxide treatment of mammalian cells, a molecular analysis. Carcinogenesis, 11, 283-3. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/11.2.283
- Nakada T, Koike H, Katayama T (1987). Low level of Superoxide dismutase activity in pheochromocytoma. J Urol, 138, 9-13.
- Nakamura Y, Gindhart TD, Winterstein D, et al (1988). Early Superoxide dismutase-sensitive event promotes neoplastic transformation in mouse epidermal JB6 cells. Carcinogenesis, 9, 203-7. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/9.2.203
- Nakamura Y, Ohtaki S, Makino R, et al (1988). Superoxide anion is the initial product in the hydrogen peroxide formation catalyzed by NADPH oxydase in porcine thyroid plasma membrane. J Biol Chem, 264, 4759-1.
- Oberley LW(2005). Mechanism of the tumor suppressive effect of MnSOD overexpression. Biomed Pharmacother, 59, 143-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopha.2005.03.006
- Oberley LW, Bize IB, Sahu SK, et al (1978). Superoxide dismutase activity of normal murine liver, regenerating liver, and H6 hepatoma. J Natl Cancer Inst, 61, 375-9.
- Ohkawa H, Ohishi N, Yagi K (1979). Assay for lipid peroxides in animal tissues by thiobarbituric acid reaction. Anal Biochem, 95, 351-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(79)90738-3
- Oyanagui Y (1984). Re-evaluation of assay methods and establishment of kit for superoxide dismutase activity. Anal Biochem, 142, 290-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(84)90467-6
- Ozturk HS, Karaayvaz M, Kacmaz M, et al (1998). Activities of the enzymes participating in purine and free-radical metabolism in cancerous human colorectal tissues. Cancer Biochem Biophys, 16,157-8.
- Perchellet JP, Perchllet EM (1989). Antioxidants and multistage carcinogenesis in mouse skin. Free Radi Biol Med, 7, 377-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(89)90124-X
- Pham TM, Fujino Y, Nakachi K, et al (2009). Relationship between serum levels of superoxide dismutase activity and subsequent risk of cancer mortality, Findings from a nested case-control study within the Japan Collaborative Cohort Study. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 10, 69-3.
- Punnonen K, Ahotupa M, Asaishi K, et al (1994). Antioxidant enzyme activities and oxidative stress in human breast cancer. J Cancer Res Clin Oncol,120, 374-7. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01247464
- Ridnour LA, Oberley TD, Oberley LW (2004). Tumor suppressive effects of MnSOD overexpression may involve imbalance in peroxide generation versus peroxide removal. Antioxid Redox Signal, 6, 501-12. https://doi.org/10.1089/152308604773934260
- Rizwan A, Anil KT, Payal T, et al (2008). Oxidative stress and antioxidant status in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia. Indian J Clin Biochem, 23, 328-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12291-008-0072-9
- Robbins D, Zhao Y (2011). The role of manganese superoxide dismutase in skin cancer. Enzyme Res, 2011, 1-7.
- Saez G, Thornalley PJ, Hill HA, et al (1982). The production of radicals during the autoxidation of cysteine and their effect on isolated rat hepatocytes. Biochem Biophys Act, 719, 24-1. https://doi.org/10.1016/0304-4165(82)90302-6
- Saintot M, Astre C, Pujol H, et al (1996). Tumor progression and oxidant-anti oxidant status. Carcinogenesis, 17, 1267-1. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/17.6.1267
- Sandstrom J, Karlsson K, Edlund T, et al (1993). Heparin-affinity patterns and composition of extracellular superoxide dismutase in human plasma and tissues. Biochem J, 294, 853-7.
- Shay JW, Werbin H (1989). Are mitochondrial DNA mutations involved in the carcinogenic procces? Mutatres, 186 ,149-0.
Spitz DR, Adams DT, Sherman CM, et al (1992). Mechanisms of cellular resistance to hydrogen peroxide, hyperoxia, and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal toxicity, the significance of increased catalase activity in
$H_2O_2$- resistant fibroblasts. ABB, 292, 221-7.
Spitz DR, Elwell JH, Sun Y, et al (1990). Oxygen toxicity in control and
$H_2O_2$- resistant Chinese hamster fibroblast cell lines. ABB, 279, 249-0.
- Srivastava S, Natu SM, Gupta A, et al (2009). Lipid peroxidation and antioxidants in different stages of cervical cancer: Prognostic significance. Indian J Cancer, 46, 297-2. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.55549
Sullivan SJ, Oberley TD, Roberts RJ, et al (1992). A stable O2-resistant cell line, role of lipid peroxidation byproducts in
$O_2$-mediated injury. Am J Physiol, 262, 748-6.
- Sun Y, Oberley LW (1996). Redox regulation of transcriptional activators. Free Radic Biol Med, 21, 335-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/0891-5849(96)00109-8
- Wang M, Dhingra K, Hittelman WN, et al (1996). Lipid peroxidation-induced putative malondialdehyde-DNA adducts in human breast tissues. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 5, 705-0.
- Wiseman H, Halliwell B (1996). Damage to DNA by reactive oxygen and nitrogen species, role in inflammatory disease and progression to cancer. Biochem J, 313, 17-29.
- Xing G, Romanyukha A, Bunger R (2008). Reactive oxygen species (ROS) in human breast cancer cell lines differing in malignancy, an electron paramagnetic resonance (EPR) Study. FASEB J, 22, 79410.
- Yamanaka NY, Deamer D (1974). Superoxide dismutase activity in W1-38 cell cultures Effects of age, trypsinization, and SV-40 transformation. Physiol Chem Phys, 6, 95-106.
- Zaridze DG, Chevchenko VE, Levtshuk AA, et al (1990). Fatty acid composition of phospholipids in erythrocyte membranes and risk of breast cancer. Int J Cancer, 45, 807-0. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.2910450502
- Zhang Y, Smith BJ, Oberley LW (2006). Enzymatic activity is necessary for the tumor-suppressive effects of MnSOD. Antioxid Redox Signal, 8, 1283-3. https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2006.8.1283
- Distribution of MEFV gene mutations and R202Q polymorphism in the Serbian population and their influence on oxidative stress and clinical manifestations of inflammation vol.14, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12969-016-0097-1
- Effects of physical activity on systemic oxidative/DNA status in breast cancer survivors vol.13, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2016.5449
- PNU-74654 enhances the antiproliferative effects of 5-FU in breast cancer and antagonizes thrombin-induced cell growth via the Wnt pathway pp.00219541, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/jcp.28104