- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Chemopreventive Efficacy of Moringa oleifera Pods Against 7, 12-Dimethylbenz[a]anthracene Induced Hepatic Carcinogenesis in Mice
- Sharma, Veena (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Banasthali University) ;
- Paliwal, Ritu (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Banasthali University) ;
- Janmeda, Pracheta (Department of Bioscience and Biotechnology, Banasthali University) ;
- Sharma, Shatruhan (MAI)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Oxidative stress is a common mechanism contributing to initiation and progression of hepatic damage in a variety of liver disorders. Hence there is a great demand for the development of agents with potent antioxidant effect. The aim of the present investigation is to evaluate the efficacy of Moringa oleifera as a hepatoprotective and an antioxidant against 7, 12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene induced hepatocellular damage. Single oral administration of DMBA (15 mg/kg) to mice resulted in significantly (p<0.001) depleted levels of xenobiotic enzymes like, cytochrome P450 and b5. DMBA induced oxidative stress was confirmed by decreased levels of reduced glutathione (GSH) and glutathione-S-transferase (GST) in the liver tissue. The status of hepatic aspartate transaminase (AST), alanine transaminase (ALT), and alkaline phosphatase (ALP) which is indicative of hepatocellular damage were also found to be decreased in DMBA administered mice. Pretreatment with the Moringa oleifera (200 and 400 mg/kg) orally for 14 days significantly reversed the DMBA induced alterations in the liver tissue and offered almost complete protection. The results from the present study indicate that Moringa oleifera exhibits good hepatoprotective and antioxidant potential against DMBA induced hepatocellular damage in mice that might be due to decreased free radical generation.
M. oleifera;7;12-dimethylbenz[a]anthracene;xenobiotic;hepato-protective;oxidative stress
- Arabshahi DS, Devi V, Urooj A (2007). Evaluation of antioxidant activity of some plant extracts and their heat, pH and storage stability. Food Chem, 100, 1100-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.11.014
- Bennett RN, Mellon FA, Foidl N, et al (2003). Profiling glucosinolates and phenolics in vegetative and reproductive tissues of the multi-purpose trees Moringa oleifera L. (Horseradish tree) and Moringa stenopetala L. J Agri Food Chem, 51, 3546-53. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf0211480
- Bharali R, Tabassum J, Azad MRH (2003). Chemomodulatory effect of Moringa oleifera, Lam. on hepatic carcinogen metabolizing enzymes, antioxidant parameters and skin papillomagenesis in mice. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 131-9.
- Burton GW, Foster DO, Prly B (1985). Biological antioxidants. Phil Trans R Soc Lond, 311, 565-78. https://doi.org/10.1098/rstb.1985.0164
- Chattopadhyay RR (2003). Possible mechanism of hepatoprotective activity of Azadirachta indica leaf extract: part II. J of Ethnopharmacol, 89, 217-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2003.08.006
- Das BN, Biswas BK, Moghal MMR, et al (2010). Study of Analgesic Activity of Bark of Xeromphis spinosa. Int J of Comprehensive Pharm, 1, 1-3.
- De Leve LD, Wang X, Kuhlenkamp JF, et al (1996). Toxicity of azathioprine and monocrotaline in murine sinusoidal endothelial cells and hepatocytes: the role of glutathione and relevance to hepatic venoocclusive disease. Hepatol, 23, 589-99. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.510230326
- Fakurazi S, Hairuszah I, Nanthini U (2008). Moringa oleifera Lam prevents acetaminophen induced liver injury through restoration of glutathione level. Food & Chemical Toxicol, 46, 2611-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2008.04.018
- Gibson GG, Skett P (eds.) (1994). Introduction to drug metabolism. Blackie Academic and Professonal, London, 217-58.
- Guevara AP, Vargas C, Sakurai H, et al (1999). An antitumor promoter from Moringa oleifera Lam. Mut Res, 440, 181-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1383-5718(99)00025-X
- Habig WH, Pabst MJ, Jakoby WB (1974). Glutathione S transferases. The first enzymatic step in mercapturic acid formation. J Biol Chem, 249, 7130-9.
- IARC. 1973. Some Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons and Heterocyclic Compounds. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, vol. 3. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. pp 271.
- IARC (1983). Polynuclear Aromatic Compounds, Part 1. Chemical, Environmental and Experimental Data. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, vol. 32. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer.
- IARC (1984). Polynuclear Aromatic Compounds, Part 3. Industrial Exposures in Aluminum Production, Coal Gasification, Coke Production, and Iron and Steel Founding. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, vol. 34. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. 219 pp.
- IARC (1985). Polynuclear Aromatic 4. Bitumens, Coal Tars and Derived Products, Shale Oils and Soots. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, vol. 35. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. 271 pp.
- IARC (1987). Overall Evaluations of Carcinogenicity. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, Supplement 7. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer. 440 pp.
- James LP, Mayeux PR, Hinson JA (2003). Acetaminopheninduced hepatotoxicity. Drug Metab Dispos, 31, 1499-506. https://doi.org/10.1124/dmd.31.12.1499
- Janmeda P, Sharma V, Singh L, et al (2011). Chemopreventive effect of hydroethanolic extract of Euphorbia neriifolia leaves against DENA-induced renal carcinogenesis in mice. APJCP, 12, 677-83.
- Jollow DJ, Mitchell JR, Zampagilone N, et al (1974). Bromobenzene induced liver necrosis. Protective role of glutathione and evidence for 3, 4-bromobenzene oxide as the hepatotoxic intermediate. Pharmacol, 11, 151-69. https://doi.org/10.1159/000136485
- Kettrer B (1998). Glutathione-S-trensferase and prevention of cellular free radical damage. Free Rad Res, 28, 647-58. https://doi.org/10.3109/10715769809065820
- Kumar A, Pari L (2003). Antioxidant action of Moringa oleifera Lam (drumstick) against antitubercular drugs induced lipid peroxidation in rats. J Med Food, 6, 255-9. https://doi.org/10.1089/10966200360716670
- Lalas S, Tsaknis J (2002). Extraction and identification of natural antioxidants from the seeds of Moringa oleifera tree variety of Malavi. J Am Oil Chem Soc, 79, 677-83. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11746-002-0542-2
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, et al (1951). Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem, 193, 265-75.
- Mohandas J, Marshall JJ, Duggin GG, et al (1984). Differerential distribution of glutathione and glutathione related enzymes in rabbit kidney. Biochem Pharmacol, 33, 1801-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/0006-2952(84)90353-8
- Okuda K (1997). Hepatocellular carcinoma: clinicopathological aspects. J Gastroenterol Hepatol, 2, 314-8.
- Omura T, Sato R (1964). The carbon monoxide binding pigment of liver. J Biol Chem, 239, 2370-8.
- Paliwal R, Sharma V, Pracheta (2011a). A Review on horse radish tree (moringa oleifera): a multipurpose tree with high economic and commercial importance. Asian J Biotechnol, 3, 317-28. https://doi.org/10.3923/ajbkr.2011.317.328
- Paliwal R, Sharma V, Pracheta, et al (2011b). Antinephrotoxic effect of administration of moringa oleifera lam in amelioration of DMBA-induced renal carcinogenesis in Swiss albino mice. Biol med, 3, 27-35.
- Paliwal R, Sharma V, Pracheta, et al (2011c). Hepatoprotective and antioxidant potential of moringa oleifera pods against DMBA-induced hepatocarcinogenesis in male mice. Int J Drug Dev Res, 3, 128-38.
- Paliwal R, Sharma V, Pracheta, et al (2011d). Elucidation of free radical scavenging and antioxidant activity of aqueous and hydro-ethanolic extracts of moringa oleifera pods. Res J Pharm Technol, 4, 566-71.
- Panteghini M (1990). Aspartate amino transferase isoenzymes. Clin. Biochem, 23, 311-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/0009-9120(90)80062-N
- Parimalakrishnan S, Dey A, Manavalan R (2009). Effect of methanolic extract of Cleome chelidonii on Drug metabolising enzymes, antioxidant status and chemomodulatory efficacy of mice. J Basic App Sci, 5, 37-46.
- Parmar J, Sharma P, Verma P, et al (2011). Modulation of DMBA induced biochemical and histopathological changes by Syzygium cumini seed extract during skin carcinogenesis. Int J Cur Biomed Phar Res, 1, 24-30.
- Radhakrishnan V, Park CM, Ravikumar V, et al (2007) Inhibitory effects of histone deacetylase inhibitor depsipeptide on benzo(a)pyrene- and cyclophosphamide-induced genotoxicity in Swiss albino mice. Int J Toxicol, 26, 47-50. https://doi.org/10.1080/10915810601120111
- Ramakrishnan G, Augustine TA, Jagan S, et al (2007). Effect of silymarin on N-nitrosodiethylamine induced hepatocarcinogenesis in rats. Exp Oncol, 29, 39-44.
- Reitman S, Franckal S (1979). A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutathione oxaloacetate and glutamic- pyruvic transaminase. J Clin Pathol, 28, 481-90.
- Sadashivam S, Manickam A (2004). Phenolics. Biochemical Methods. New age publishers, (New Delhi), 193-4.
- Sharma V, Sharma A, Kansal L (2010). The effect of oral administration of Allium sativum extracts on lead nitrate induced toxicity in male mice. Food and Chemical Toxicol, 48, 928-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fct.2010.01.002
- Sharma V, Paliwal R, Pracheta, et al (2011). Phytochemical analysis and evaluation of antioxidant activities of hydroethanolic extracts of Moringa oleifera lam pods. J Pharm Res, 4, 554-7.
- Sen S, Makkar HPS, Becker K (1998). Alfalfa saponins and their implication in animal nutrition. J Agri Food Chem, 46, 131-40. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf970389i
- Shyamal S, Latha PG, Shine VJ, et al (2006). Hepatoprotective effects of Pittosporum neelgherrense Wight&Arn., a popular Indian ethnomedicine. J Ethnopharmacol, 107, 151-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2006.02.018
- Singh RP, Padmanathi B, Rao AR, (2000). Modulatory influence of Adhatoda vesica (Justicia adhatoda) leaf extract on the enzymes of xenobiotic metabolism antioxidant status and lipid peroxidation in mice. Mol Cell Biochem, 213, 99-109. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1007182913931
- Song LL, Steven R, Lantvit MD, et al (2000). Chemoprevention of DMBA-induced mammary carcinogenesis: Relationship between induction of phase II enzymes, effects on DMBA induced hemoglobin adducts and decrease in mammary tumor multiplicity. Polycyclic Aromatic Comp, 18, 193-210. https://doi.org/10.1080/10406630008028145
- Sporn MB, Suh N (2000). Chemoprevention of cancer. Carcinogenesis, 21, 525-30. https://doi.org/10.1093/carcin/21.3.525
- Vadlapudi V, Naidu KC (2010). In vitro bioautography of different Indian medicinal plants. Drug Invent Today, 2, 53-6.
- Zak B (1977). Cholesterol methodologies: a review. Clin Chem, 23, 1201-14.
- Chemopreventive Activity of Turmeric Essential Oil and Possible Mechanisms of Action vol.15, pp.16, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.16.6575
- Aqueous Extract of Anticancer Drug CRUEL Herbomineral Formulation Capsules Exerts Anti-proliferative Effects in Renal Cell Carcinoma Cell Lines vol.16, pp.18, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.18.8419
- Nutraceutical or Pharmacological Potential of Moringa oleifera Lam. vol.10, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10030343