- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Evaluation of Depression in Newly Diagnosed Breast Cancer Cases in Hatay Province of Turkey in 2011
- Nazlican, Ersin (Public Health Department, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University) ;
- Akbaba, Muhsin (Public Health Department, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University) ;
- Okyay, R. Azim (Public Health Department, Faculty of Medicine, Cukurova University)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Breast cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer and the leading cause of cancer death in females in Turkey. The main problems experienced by women with breast cancer are physical losses, emotional distress and degradation in family, work and social roles. The purpose of this cross-sectional retrospective study was to investigate the socio-demographical characteristics and depressive symptoms of 125 newly diagnosed cases with breast cancer reported to cancer control department of Hatay provincial health directorate in 2011. To evaluate the depressive symptoms the Beck Depression Inventory (BDI) was used. All 125 cases who participated in the study were female. The mean age was
- Andrykowski MA, Manne SL (2006). Are psychological interventions effective and accepted by cancer patients? I. Standards and levels of evidence. Ann Behav Med, 32, 93-7. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324796abm3202_3
- Bostanci M, Ozdel O, Oguzhanoglu NK, et al (2005). Depressive symptomatology among university students in Denizli, Turkey: prevalence and sociodemographic correlates. Croat Med J, 46, 96-100.
- David E Misek, Evelyn H Kim (2011) Protein Biomarkers for the Early Detection of Breast Cancer. Int J Proteomics, ?, 1-9.
- Edge SB, Byrd DR, Compton CC, et al (2010), Breast. In: AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York, NY: Springer, pp 347-76.
- Elbi H (2001). Kanser ve Depresyon. Psikiyatri Dunyasi, 5,5-10.
- Ertem G, Kocer A (2009). Breast self examination among nurses and midwives in odemis health district in Turkey. Indian J Cancer, 46, 208-13. https://doi.org/10.4103/0019-509X.52955
- Eser: Newest registry data published in the APJCP!
- Ferlay J, Shin HR, Bray F, et al (2010). Estimates of worldwide burden of cancer in:GLOBOCAN 2008. Int J Cancer, 127, 2893-917. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.25516
- Ferrell BR, Grant M, Funk B, et al (1998). Quality of life in breast cancer: Part II. Psychological and spiritüel well-being. Cancer Nursing, 21,1-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199802000-00001
- Fidaner C, Eser SY, Parkin DM (2001). Incidence in Izmir in 1993-1994: first results from Izmir Cancer Registry, Eur J Cancer, 37, 83-92. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(00)00355-5
- Guren E, Tekgul S, Bilaceroglu S, et al (2005). Akciger kanserli hastalarda anksiyete ve depresyon duzeylerindeki degisimler. Izmir Gogus Hastanesi Dergisi, 19, 83-91.
- Haydaroglu A, Dubova S, Ozsaran Z, et al (2005). Ege Universitesi'nde Meme Kanserleri:3897 Olgunun Degerlendirilmesi. Meme Sagligi Dergisi, 1, 6-11.
- Hisli N (1989). Beck Depresyon Envanterinin Universite Ogrencileri Icin Gecerligi ve Guvenirligi. Turk Psikoloji Dergisi, 7, 3-13.
- Jemal A, Bray F, Center MM, et al (2011). Global cancer statistics. CA Cancer J Clin, 61, 69-90. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.20107
- Karakoyun-Celik O, Gorken I, Sahin S et al (2010). Depression and anxiety levels in woman under follow-up for breast cancer: relationship to coping with cancer and quality of life. Med Oncol, 27, 108-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12032-009-9181-4
- Kilpatrick MG, Kristjanson LJ, Tatryn DJ, et al (1998). Information needs of husbands of women with breast cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum, 25, 1595-601.
- Kutlu R, Civi S, Boruban MC, et al (2011). Kanserli Hastalarda Depresyon ve Yaşam Kalitesini Etkileyen Faktorler. Selcuk Univ Tip Derg, 27, 149-53.
- Landmark BT, Wahl A (2002). Living with newly diagnosed breast cancer: A qualitative study of 10 women with newly diagnosed breast cancer, J Adv Nursing, 40, 112-21. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1365-2648.2002.02346.x
- Manne SL, Andrykowski MA (2006). Are psychological interventions effective and accepted by cancer patients? II. Using empirically supported therapy guidelines to decide. Ann Behav Med, 32, 98-103. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15324796abm3202_4
- McPherson K, C M Steel, J M Dixon (2000), ABC of breast diseases: Breast cancer epidemiology, risk factors, and genetics. BMJ, 7261, 624-8.
- Mock J, Erbaugh J (1961). An inventory for measuring depression. Arch Gen Psychiatry, 4, 561-71. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1961.01710120031004
- Nunes RD, Martins E, Freitas-Junior R, et al (2011). Descriptive study of breast cancer cases in Goiânia between 1989 and 2003. Rev Col Bras Cir, 38, 212-6. https://doi.org/10.1590/S0100-69912011000400002
- Odanye-Akin EO, Asuzu C, Popoola AO (2011). Measured effect of some socio-demographic factors on depression among breast cancer patients receiving chemotherapy in Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH). African Health Sciences, 11,341-45.
- Ogce F, Ozkan S, Baltalarli B (2007). Psychosocial Stressors, Social Support and Socio-demographic Variables as Determinants of Quality of Life of Turkish Breast Cancer Patients. APJCP, 8, 77-82.
- Ozkan S, Buyukdogan M (2010). Meme Kanserinde Prognostik Faktorler: Vakalarımızın Retrospektif Analizi. Tip Arastırmaları Dergisi, 8, 9-14.
- Ozturk Y, Ozturk A, Gun I, et al (2011). Halk Sagligi Genel Bilgiler In "Kanser Epidemiyolojisi", Eds Ozturk Y and Gunay O. Erciyes Universitesi Yayinlari Kayseri pp 1087.
- Palsson M-BE, Norberg A (1995). Breast cancer experiences of nursing care with the focus on emotional support: The implication of a nursing intervention. J Adv Nursing, 21, 277-85.
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, et al (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Ries LAG, Eisner MP, Kosary CL, et al (2001). SEER Cancer Statistics Review, 1973-1998, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD.
- Rustoen T, Begnum S (2000). Quality of life in women with breast cancer. Cancer Nursing, 23, 416-21. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-200012000-00003
- Schrover L (1994). Sexuality and body image in younger women with breast cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr, 16, 177-82.
- Shalini, Divya Varghese, Malathi Nayak (2011). Awareness and Impact of Education on Breast Self Examination Among College Going Girls. Indian J Palliat Care, 2, 150-4.
- Smith RA (2011). International programs for the detection of breast cancer. Salud Publica Mex, 53:394-404.
- Tuncer MA (2008). Cancer Control in Turkey. Ed:Tucer MA. 2nd edition. Ankara. Onur Matbaacilik, 17-43.
- Tuncer M, Ozgul N, Olcayto EO, et al (2009). T.C. Saglık Bakanligi Kanserle Savas Dairesi Baskanligi Ulusal Kanser Programı 2009-2015 Bakanlık Yayın No 760
- Vahdaninia M, Omidvari S, Montazeri A (2010). What do predict anxiety and depression in breast cancer patients? A follow-up study. Soc Psychiat Epidemiol, 45, 355-61. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00127-009-0068-7
- Valente SM, Saunders JM (1997). Diagnosis and treatment of major depression among people with cancer. Cancer Nurs, 20, 168-77. https://doi.org/10.1097/00002820-199706000-00002
- Waldum HL, Brenna E, Sandvik AK, et al (1998). Hormones and carcinogenesis. Endocrine-Related Cancer J Endocrinology, 5, 45-8. https://doi.org/10.1677/erc.0.0050045
- Weber B, Garber J (1996). Familial Breast Cancer. In: Harris J, Lippman M, Morrow M, Hellman S (eds.), Diseases of the Breast. Philadelphia: Lippincott-Raven.
- Weiss T (2004). Correlates of posttraumatic growth in husbands of breast cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncology, 13, 260-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.735
- WHO (2008). Policy and Advocacy.Cancer control : knowledge into action : WHO guide for effective programmes; module 6.World Health Organization.
- WHO Screening for beast cancer. http://www.who.int/cancer/detection/breastcancer/en/Date ofaccess: February 1, 2012
- Wilson KG, Chochinov HM, Skirko MG et al (2007). Depression and anxiety disorders in palliative cancer care. J Pain Symptom Manage, 33,118-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2006.07.016
- Depression, Anxiety and Sexual Satisfaction in Breast Cancer Patients and their Partners-Izmir Oncology Group Study vol.15, pp.24, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.24.10631
- Effects of Offspring-Related Characteristics on Depressive Disorder among Cancer Patients and Survivors vol.16, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.11.4531