- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Trends in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Mortality in China, 1973-2005
- Huang, Tian-Ren (Department of Epidemiology, Guangxi Cancer Institute) ;
- Zhang, Si-Wei (National Office for Cancer Prevention and Control, Ministry of Health) ;
- Chen, Wan-Qing (National Office for Cancer Prevention and Control, Ministry of Health) ;
- Deng, Wei (Department of Epidemiology, Guangxi Cancer Institute) ;
- Zhang, Chun-Yan (Department of Epidemiology, Guangxi Cancer Institute) ;
- Zhou, Xin-Juan (Department of Epidemiology, Guangxi Cancer Institute) ;
- Zhai, Ri-Hong (Department of Environmental Health, Harvard School of Public Health)
- Published : 2012.06.30
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) is a disease with distinct ethnic and geographic distribution. The incidence of NPC in Chinese residing in Asia has declined over the last few decades, but NPC mortality trends in the entire Chinese population over time have not been systematically evaluated. In this study, we examined NPC mortality at the national level in China between 1973-2005. Mortality rates were derived from the databases of national retrospective surveys on cancer mortality conducted in the periods of 1973-1975, 1990-1992, and 2004-2005, respectively. NPC was classified according to the International classification of diseases. Age-adjusted mortality rates were calculated by direct standardization according to the world standard population. Trends in rates were evaluated by age, gender, geographic areas, and socioeconomic status. From 1973 to 2005, there was a general trend of decrease in NPC mortality in China, with higher rates in the south on a downward trend in the north. The age-standardized NPC mortality rates were 2.60 per 100,000 in 1973-1975, 1.94 per 100,000 in 1990-1992, and 1.30 per 100,000 in 2004-2005, respectively. The trend was similar in both men and women, in both urban and rural areas, but the declining rates in females were more remarkable than in males. The mortality rates were higher for the age groups above 50 years than those less than 50 years of age, both showing downward trend over 30-year period. In summary, the overall NPC mortality has consistently decreased in China over the past three decades, particularly in women and in old adults.
Nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC);mortality trends;China;1973-2005
- Anandan C, Elton R, Hitchings A, Brewster DH (2008). Nasopharyngeal cancer incidence and survival in Scotland, 1975-2001. Clin Otolaryngol, 33, 12-27. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-4486.2007.01590.x
- Banister J, Hill K (2004). Mortality in China 1964-2000. Popul Stud, 58, 55-75. https://doi.org/10.1080/0032472032000183753
- Baujat B, Audry H, Bourhis J, et al (2006). MAC-NPC Collaborative Group. MAC-NPC Collaborative Group. Chemotherapy as an adjunct to radiotherapy in locally advanced nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cochrane Database Syst Rev, 6, CD004329.
- Buell P (1974). The effect of migration on the risk of nasopharyngeal cancer among Chinese. Cancer Res, 34, 1189-91.
- Chan AT, Teo PM, Leung TW, Johnson PJ (1998). The role of chemotherapy in the management of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer, 82, 1003-12. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0142(19980315)82:6<1003::AID-CNCR1>3.0.CO;2-F
- Chang ET, Adami HO (2006). The enigmatic epidemiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 15, 1765-77. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-06-0353
- Cheng Z (2008). Report on the third national retrospective deathcauses sampling survey in China. Peking Union Medical College Press, Beijing, 1-214.
- Chien YC, Chen JY, Liu MY, Yang HI, et al (2001). Serologic markers of Epstein-Barr virus infection and nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Taiwanese men. N Engl J Med, 345, 1877-82. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa011610
- Dai XD, Li LD, Lu FZ (1999). Trend of China nasopharyngeal carcinoma in 20 years and its prediction in the near future. J Prac Oncol, 13, 1-5.
- Deng H, Zeng Y, Lei Y, et al (1995). Serological survey of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in 21 cities of south China. Chin Med J, 108, 300-3.
- Faggiano F, Partanen T, Kogevinas M, Boffetta P,et al (1997). Socioeconomic differences in cancer incidence and mortality. IARC Sci Publ, 138, 65-176.
- Guo X, Johnson RC, Deng H, Liao J, Guan L, et al (2009). Evaluation of nonviral risk factors for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in a high-risk population of Southern China. Int J Cancer, 124, 2942-7.
- Huang TB, Wang HM, Li JL, et al (1997). Identification of high risk populations for nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin J Cancer, 16, 81-4.
- Jia WH, Huang QH, Liao J, et al (2006). Trends in incidence and mortality of nasopharyngeal carcinoma over a 20-25 year period (1978/1983-2002) in Sihui and Cangwu counties in southern China. BMC Cancer, 6, 178. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2407-6-178
- Jin F, Devesa SS, Chow WH, Zheng W, Ji BT,et al (1999). Gao YT. Cancer incidence trends in urban shanghai, 1972-1994: an update. Int J Cancer, 83,435-40. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19991112)83:4<435::AID-IJC1>3.0.CO;2-J
- Kong L, Zhang YW (2008). Historical evolution in the diagnosis and treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. China Oncol, 18, 641-7.
- La Vecchia C, Negri E, Levi F, Decarli A, Boyle P (1998). Cancer mortality in Europe: effects of age, cohort of birth and period of death. Eur J Cancer, 34, 118-41. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(97)00335-3
- Lee AW, Foo W, Mang O, et al (2003). Changing epidemiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Hong Kong over a 20-year period (1980-99): an encouraging reduction in both incidence and mortality. Int J Cancer, 103, 680-5. https://doi.org/10.1002/ijc.10894
- Lee JT, Ko CY (2005). Has survival improved for nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the United States? Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 132, 303-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.otohns.2004.09.018
- Li LD, Lu FZ, Zhang SW, et al (1996). Analysis of cancer mortality and distribution in China from year 1990 through 1992. An epidemiologic study. Chin J Oncol, 18, 403-7.
- Lu TX (2009). Diagnosis and treatment of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: 30 years of change and progress in China. Chinese J Clinicians;3 (Electronic Version).
- National Office for Cancer prevention and Control (NOCPC) (1979). Investigation of Cancer Mortality in China. People's Health Publishing House, 1979.
- National Center of Health Information and Statistics (NCHIS) (1999). Annual report for national health information and statistics. Beijing, P.R. China, 1999.
- National Office for Cancer prevention and Control (NOCPC) (2008). Survey of Cancer Mortality in China (1990 - 1992). People's Health Publishing House. P.1-629.
- Ou SH, Zell JA, Ziogas A (2007). Anton-Culver H. Epidemiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in the United States: improved survival of Chinese patients within the keratinizing squamous cell carcinoma histology. Ann Oncol, 18, 29-35. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdl447
- Parkin DM, Bray F, Ferlay J, Pisani P (2005). Global cancer statistics, 2002. CA Cancer J Clin, 55, 74-108. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.55.2.74
- Parkin DM,Whelan SL,Ferlay J, et al (1997). Cancer incidence in five continents.Vol 7. Lyon, France: International Agency for Research on Cancer, 334-7.
- Pathmanathan R, Prasad U, Sadler R, Flynn K, Raab-Traub N (1995). Clonal proliferations of cells infected with Epstein- Barr virus in preinvasive lesions related to nasopharyngeal carcinoma. N Engl J Med, 333, 693-8. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199509143331103
- Population Census Office (1982). National Bureau of Statistics. 1982 Population Census of China. China Statistics Press, Beijing.
- Rischin D, Corry J, Smith J, et al (2002). Excellent disease control and survival in patients with advanced nasopharyngeal cancer treated with chemoradiation. J Clin Oncol, 20, 1845-52. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2002.07.011
- Spano JP, Busson P, Atlan D, et al (2003). Nasopharyngeal carcinomas: an update. Eur J Cancer, 39, 2121-35. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-8049(03)00367-8
- The Editorial Committee (1979). Atlas of cancer mortality in the people's Republic of China. Shanghai, China Map Press. P. 1-99.
- Waterhouse J, Muir C, Correa P, Powell J (1976). Cancer incidence in five continents. Lyon, IARC Sci Publ: 456.
- Wei KR, Yu YL, Yang YY, et al (2010). Epidemiological trends of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 11, 29-32.
- Wong CH, Kelly LE, Tripcony LB (2007). Nasopharygeal carcinoma in Queensland, Australia: a review of 10 years experience. Australia Radiol, 51, 276-82. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1673.2007.01730.x
- Yang L, Parkin DM, Li L, Chen Y (2003). Sources of information on the burden of cancer in China. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev, 4, 23-30.
- Yang L, Parkin DM, Li LD, Chen YD, Bray F (2004). Estimation and projection of the national profile of cancer mortality in China: 1991-2005. Br J Cancer, 90, 2157-66.
- Yang L, Parkin DM, Li L, Chen Y (2004). A comparison of the sources of cancer mortality in China. Cancer Causes Control, 15, 681-7. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:CACO.0000036181.37225.91
- Yu MC, Ho JH, Lai SH, Henderson BE (1986). Cantonese-style salted fish as a cause of nasopharyngeal carcinoma: report of a case-control study in Hong Kong. Cancer Res, 46, 956-61.
- Yu MC, Yuan JM (2002). Epidemiology of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Semin Cancer Biol, 12, 421-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1044579X02000858
- Yu WM, Hussain SS (2009). Incidence of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in Chinese immigrants, compared with Chinese in China and South East Asia: review. J Laryngol Otol, 123, 1067-74. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022215109005623
- Zhang CQ, Zhong YS, Sun Y, et al (2004). The application of serum EBNA1- IgA and EA- IgG markers in early diagnosis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Chin J Oncol, 26, 482-4.
- Zhang SW, Chen WQ, Wei WQ, Li GL, Li N (2010). Ovary cancer mortality in China 2004 - 2005: results from the Third National Retrospective Sampling Survey of Death Causes. Chin J Prev Med, 44, 418-22
- Zhou YS, Zhang SW, Li LD (1997). Analysis for death for all and malignant tumors for Chinese population. Bull Chin Can, 6, 9-11.
- Expression of the Pokemon Proto-oncogene in Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Cell Lines and Tissues vol.14, pp.11, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.11.6315
- Effective inhibition of nasopharyngeal carcinoma in vitro and in vivo by targeting glycolysis with oxamate vol.43, pp.5, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2013.2080
- Prognostic factors for survival of patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma following conventional fractionation radiotherapy vol.6, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/etm.2013.1100
- Expression of the Annexin A1 gene is associated with suppression of growth, invasion and metastasis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma vol.10, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2014.2656
- ABO Blood Group, Epstein-Barr virus Infection and Prognosis of Patients with Non-metastatic Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.17, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.17.7459
- Diagnostic Significance of Combined Detection of Epstein-Barr Virus Antibodies, VCA/IgA, EA/IgA, Rta/IgG and EBNA1/IgA for Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.5, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.5.2001
- Reirradiation with Robotic Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy for Recurrent Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3561
- Retrograde Analysis of Clinical Characteristics of Bone Metastasis in 1,031 Cases of Preliminarily Diagnosed Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma vol.15, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.8.3785
- Effect of the vascular endothelial growth factor expression level on angiopoietin-2-mediated nasopharyngeal carcinoma growth vol.6, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/2045-824X-6-4
- Declining Incidence of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in Brunei Darussalam: a Three Decade Study (1986-2014) vol.16, pp.16, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.16.7097
- Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma Incidence in North Tunisia: Negative Trends in Adults but not Adolescents, 1994-2006 vol.16, pp.7, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.7.2653
- Distinctive microRNA expression in early stage nasopharyngeal carcinoma patients vol.20, pp.12, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jcmm.12906
- An open-label, single-arm phase II clinical study of docetaxel plus lobaplatin for Chinese patients with pulmonary and hepatic metastasis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma vol.27, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1097/CAD.0000000000000370
- Low expression of Aldo–keto reductase 1B10 is a novel independent prognostic indicator for nasopharyngeal carcinoma vol.6, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s13578-016-0082-x
- Molecular pathological study of the human nasopharyngeal carcinoma CNE3 cell line vol.6, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2013.1513