- Volume 13 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Threshold Primary Tumour Sizes for Nodal and Distant Metastases in Papillary and Follicular Thyroid Cancers
- Zaman, Maseeh Uz (The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH)) ;
- Fatima, Nosheen (Karachi Institute of Radiotherapy and Nuclear Medicine (KIRAN)) ;
- Sajjad, Zafar (The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH)) ;
- Akhtar, Jaweed (The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH)) ;
- Islam, Najmul (The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH)) ;
- Masood, Qamar (The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH)) ;
- Ahmed, Asma (The Aga Khan University Hospital (AKUH))
- Published : 2012.06.30
Background: In papillary and follicular thyroid cancers (PTC, FTC), nodal and distant metastasis are generally considered important determinants of recurrence and survival, respectively. However, there is no consensus about the threshold primary tumour size (PTS) for these determinants. The aim of this study was to assess size relationships for developing nodal, pulmonary, bone and overall distant metastases. Methods: This prospective study covered 139 (93 females and 46 males) consecutive biopsy proven patients with PTC (114/139, mean age
- Asari R, Koperek O, Scheuba C, et al (2009). Follicular thyroid carcinoma in an iodine-replete endemic goiter region: a prospectively collected, retrospectively analyzed clinical trial. Ann Surg, 249, 1023-31. https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181a77b7b
- Cerutti JM, Delcelo R, Amadei MJ, (2004). A preoperative diagnostic test that distinguishes benign from malignant thyroid carcinoma based on gene expression. J Clin Invest, 113, 1234-42. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI19617
- Coburn MC, Wanebo HJ (1992). Prognostic factors and management considerations in patients with cervical metastases of thyroid cancer. Am J Sur, 164, 671-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(05)80732-9
- Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Haugen BR, et al (2009). Revised American Thyroid Association Management Guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid, 19, 1167-214. https://doi.org/10.1089/thy.2009.0110
- DeGroot LJ, Kaplan EL, McCormick M, et al (1990). Natural history, treatment, and course of papillary thyroid carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab, 71, 414-24. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem-71-2-414
- Durante C, Haddy N, Baudin E, et al (2006). Long-term outcome of 444 patients with distant metastases from papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma: benefits and limits of radioiodine therapy. J Clin Endo Metab, 91, 2892-9. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2005-2838
- Franceschi S, La Vecchia (1994). Thyroid Cancer. Cancer Surv, 19/20, 393-422.
- Grebe SK, Hay ID (1996). Thyroid cancer nodal metastases: biologic significance and therapeutic considerations. Surg Oncol Clin N Am, 5, 43-63.
- Holzer S, Reiners C, Mann K, et al (2000). For the U.S. and German Thyroid Cancer Group. Patterns of care for patients with primary differentiated carcinoma of the thyroid gland treated in Germany during 1996. Cancer, 89, 192-201. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20000701)89:1<192::AID-CNCR26>3.0.CO;2-7
- Hundahl SA, Cady B, Cunningham MP, et al (2000). For the U.S. and German Thyroid Cancer Study Group. Initial results from a prospective cohort study of 5583 cases of thyroid carcinoma treated in the United States during 1996. An American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Patient Care Evaluation Study. Cancer, 89, 202-17. https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(20000701)89:1<202::AID-CNCR27>3.0.CO;2-A
- Machens A, Holzhausen HJ, Dralle H (2005). The prognostic value of primary tumor size in papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma. Cancer, 103, 2269-73. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.21055
- Mazzaferri EL, Jhiang SM (1994). Long-term impact of initial surgical and medical therapy on papillary and follicular thyroid cancer. Am J Med, 97, 418-28. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9343(94)90321-2
- Schlumberger MJ (1998). Papillary and follicular thyroid cancer. NEJM, 1338, 297-306.
- Shaha AR (1998). Management of the neck in thyroid cancer. Otolaryngol Clin North Am, 31,823-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0030-6665(05)70090-6
- Shaha AR, Shah JP, Loree TR (1997). Differentiated thyroid cancer presenting initially with distant metastasis. Am J Surg, 174, 474-6. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-9610(97)00158-X
- Shoup M, Stojadinovic A, Nissan A, et al (2003). Prognostic indicators of outcomes in patients with distant metastases from differentiated thyroid carcinoma. J Am Coll Surg, 197, 191-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1072-7515(03)00332-6
- Sobin LH, Wittekind C, editors (2002). TNM classification of malignant tumors. 6th edition. New York: John Wiley & Sons.
- Factors Affecting Disease-Free Status of Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma Patients vol.16, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.2.737
- Treatment of Human Thyroid Carcinoma Cells with the G47delta Oncolytic Herpes Simplex Virus vol.16, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.3.1241
- Factors Predicting Early Release of Thyroid Cancer Patients from the Isolation Room after Radioiodine-131 Treatment vol.17, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2016.17.1.125
- Mapping the distribution of nodal metastases in papillary thyroid carcinoma: Where exactly are the nodes? vol.127, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1002/lary.26495