- Volume 54 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Phylogenetic Analysis of Korean Native Goats Based on the Mitochondrial Cytochrome b Gene
mtDNA Cytochrome b 유전자에 기초한 한국재래염소의 계통유전학적 분석
- Kim, Jae-Hwan (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Byun, Mi-Jeong (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Ko, Yeoung-Gyu (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Sung-Woo (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Sang-Woo (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Do, Yoon-Jung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Kim, Myung-Jick (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Yoon, Sei-Hyung (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, Seong-Bok (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA)
- 김재환 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 변미정 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 고응규 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김성우 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김상우 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 도윤정 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 김명직 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 윤세형 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원) ;
- 최성복 (농촌진흥청 국립축산과학원)
- Received : 2012.04.10
- Accepted : 2012.05.24
- Published : 2012.08.31
The goal of this study was to verify the phylogenetic status of the Korean native goats (KNG). We determined the complete sequence of the mitochondrial cytochrome b gene in 48 goats among four populations. We also analyzed genetic variability within goats, and a phylogenetic analysis was performed by comparison with other country's goats. Three nucleotide substitutions were detected, and two of these were missense mutations that occurred due to a substitution of amino acid. Four haplotypes were defined from KNG. Three of these haplotypes were only found in the Chinese goat. However, the other haplotype was KNG-specific. In the phylogenetic analysis, four clades (A~D) were classified among domestic goats, and the KNG was classified into clade 1 that estimated as lineage A based on the D-loop sequence. Each haplotype from the KNG was clustered closely with that of the Chinese goat. The results of haplotype distribution and phylogenetic location suggest that strong gene flow occurred from China to the Korean Peninsula.
Korean native goat;Phylogenetic analysis;Cytochrome b;Haplotype;Gene flow
Supported by : 농촌진흥청
- Amills, M., Capote, J., Tomas, A., Kelly, L., Obexer-Ruff, G., Angiolillo, A. and Sanchez, A. 2004. Strong phylogeographic relationships among three goat breeds from the Canary Islands. J. Dairy Res. 71:257-262. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022029904000342
- Berthouly, C., Maillard, J. C., Doan, L. P., Van, T. N., BedHom, B., Leroy, G., Thanh, H. H., Laloë, D., Bruneau, N., Chi, C. V., Dang, V. N., Verrier, E. and Rognon, X. 2010. Revealing fine scale subpopulation structure in the Vietnamese H'mong cattle breed for conservation purposes. BMC Genetics 11:45.
- Birren, B., Green, E. D., Klapholz, S., Myers, R. M. and Roskams, J. 1997. Genome analysis: A Laboratory Manual (USA: Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press).
- Chen, S. Y., Su, Y. H., Wu, S. F., Sha, T. and Zhang, Y. P. 2005. Mitochondrial diversity and phylogeographic structure of Chinese domestic goats. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 37:804-814. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ympev.2005.06.014
- Chen, S., Fan, B., Liu, B., Yu, M., Zhao, S., Zhu, M., Xiong, T. and Li, K. 2006. Genetic variations of 13 indigenous Chinese goat breeds on cytochrome b gene sequences. Biochem. Genet. 44:89-99.
- Felsenstein, J. 1985. Confidence limits on phylogenies: an approach using the bootstrap. Evolution 39:783-791. https://doi.org/10.2307/2408678
- Hasegawa, M., Kishino, K. and Yano, T. 1985. Dating the human-ape splitting by a molecular clock of mitochondrial DNA. J. Mol. Evol. 22:160-174. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF02101694
- Hiendleder, S., Kaupe, B., Wassmuth, R. and Janke, A. 2002. Molecular analysis of wild and domestic sheep questions current nomenclature and provides evidence for domestication from two different subspecies. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269:893-904. https://doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2002.1975
- Joshi, M. B., Rout, P. K., Mandal, A. K., Tyler-Smith, C., Singh, L. and Thangaraj, K. 2004. Phylogeography and origin of Indian domestic goats. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21:454-462.
- Kim, J. H., Cho, C. Y., Choi, S. B., Cho, Y. M., Yeon, S. H. and Yang, B. S. 2011. mtDNA diversity and phylogenetic analysis of Korean native goats. Korean J. Life Sci. 21:1329-1335. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2011.21.9.1329
- Liu, Y. P., Cao, S. X., Chen, S. Y., Yao, Y. G. and Liu, T. Z. 2009. Genetic diversity of Chinese domestic goat based on the mitochondrial DNA sequence variation. J. Anim. Breed. Genet. 126:80-89. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0388.2008.00737.x
- MacHugh, D. E. and Bradley, D. G. 2001. Livestock genetic origins: goats buck the trend. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:5382-5384. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.111163198
- Mannen, H., Nagata, Y. and Tsuji, S. 2001. Mitochondrial DNA reveal that domestic goat (Capra hircus) are genetically affected by two subspecies of bezoar (Capra aegagurus). Biochem. Genet. 39:145-154. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010266207735
- Martin-Burriel, I., Rodellar, C., Canon, J., Cortes, O., Dunner, S., Landi, V., Martínez-Martínez, A., Gama, L. T., Ginja, C., Penedo, M. C. T., Sanz, A., Zaragoza, P. and Delgado, J. V. 2011. Genetic diversity, structure, and breed relationships in Iberian cattle. J. Anim. Sci. 89:593-906.
- Mason, I. L. 1984. Evolution of domesticated Animal. Longman, London.
- Naderi, S., Rezaei, H. R., Taberlet, P., Zundel, S., Rafat, S. A., Naghash, H. R., El-Barody, M. A. A., Ertugrul, O. and Pompanon, F. 2007. Large-scale mitochondrial DNA analysis of the domestic goat reveals six haplogroups with high diversity. PLoS ONE 10:e1012.
- Odahara, S., Chung, H. P., Choi, S. H., Yu, S. L., Sasazaki, S., Mannen, H., Park, C. S. and Lee, J. H. 2005. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of Korean native goats. J. Anim. Science 19:482-485.
- Porter, V. 1996. Goats of the world. Farming Press, Ipswich, UK.
- Saitou, N. and Nei, M. 1987. The neighbor‐joining method: A new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol. Biol. Evol. 4:406.
- Savolainen, P., Zhang, Y. P., Luo, J., Lundeberg, J. and Leitner, T. 2002. Genetic evidence for an East Asian origin of domestic dogs. Science 298:1610-1613.
- Serrano, M., Calvo, J. J., Martinez, M., Marcos-Carcavilla, A., Cuevas, J., Gonzalez, C., Jurado, J. J. and Diez de Tejada, P. 2009. Microsatellite based genetic diversity and population structure of the endangered Spanish Guadarrama goat breed. BMC Genetics 10:61
- Souza, C. A., Paiva, S. R., Pereira, R. W., Guimarães, S. E., Dutra, W. M., Murata, L. S. and Mariante, A. S. 2009. Iberian origin of Brazilian local pig breeds based on Cytochrome b (MT-CYB) sequence. Anim. Genet. 40:756-762. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2009.01898.x
- Stock, F., Edwards, C. J., Bollonqino, R., Finlay, E. K., Burger, J. and Bradley, D. G. 2009. Cytochrome b sequences of ancient cattle and wild ox support phylogenetic complexity in the ancient and modern bovine populations. Anim. Genet. 40:694-700. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2052.2009.01905.x
- Sultana, S., Mannen, H. and Tsuji, S. 2003. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of Pakistani goats. Anim. Genet. 34:417-421. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.0268-9146.2003.01040.x
- Suwit, A., Nomura, K., Oishi, T. and Amano, T. 2010. Goat genetic resources and breeding strategies in Thailand. Anim. Genet. 38: 41-48. https://doi.org/10.5924/abgri.38.41
- Takada, T., Kikkawa, Y., Yonekkawa, H., Kawakami, S. and Amano, T. 1997. Bezoar (Capra aegagrus) is a matriarchal candidate for ancestor of domestic goat (Capra hircus): evidence from the mitochondrial DNA diversity. Biochem. Genet. 35:315-326. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1021869704889
- Takahashi, H., Nyamsamba, D., Mandakh, B., Zagdsuren, Y., Amano, T., Nomura, K., Yokohama, M., Ito, S. and Minezawa, M. 2008 Genetic structure of Mongolian goat populations using microsatellite loci analysis. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21:947-953. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70285
- Tamura, K., Peterson, D., Peterson, N., Stecher, G., Nei, M. and Kumar, S. 2011. MEGA5: molecular evolutionary genetic analysis using maximum likelihood evolutionary distance, and maximum parsimony methods. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28:2731-2739. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msr121
- Thompson, J. D., Higgins, D. G. and Gibson, T. I. 1994. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucl. Acids Res. 22:4673- 4680. https://doi.org/10.1093/nar/22.22.4673
- Vila, C., Leonard, J. A., Gotherstrom, A., Marklund, S., Sandberg, K., Liden, K., Wayne, R. K. and Ellegern, H. 2001. Widespread origins of domestic horse lineages. Science 291:474-477. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.291.5503.474
- Yap, F. C., Yan, Y. J., Loon, K. T., Zhen, J. L., Kamau, N. W. and Kumaran, J. V. 2010. Phylogenetic analysis of different breeds of domestic chickens in selected area of Peninsular Malaysia inferred from partial cytochrome b gene information and RAPD markers. Anim. Biotechnol. 21:226-240. https://doi.org/10.1080/10495398.2010.506334
- Zeder, M. A. and Hesse, B. 2000. The initial domestication of goats (Capra hircus) in the Zagros Mountain 10,000 years ago. Science 287:2254-2257. https://doi.org/10.1126/science.287.5461.2254