- Volume 18 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Understanding the Flow Properties by a Numerical Modeling in the South Sea of Korea
수치모델을 이용한 한국 남해의 유동특성 이해
- Bae, Sang-Wan (Ocean System Development, Korea Environmental Technology Consulting Hotline) ;
- Kim, Dong-Sun (Research Center for Ocean Industrial and Development(RCOID), Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2012.05.03
- Accepted : 2012.08.24
- Published : 2012.08.31
In order to understand the flow properties of the South Sea of Korea, tidal currents, wind-driven currents, density-driven currents and residual flows were investigated by using 3-dimensional numerical model(POM). In offshore regions, tide-induced residual current tends to flow eastward during the spring tide and westward during the neap tide. Total residual flow is irregular due to the bottom topography in the coastal area. The density-driven currents in the coastal area showed to be relatively weak, with little seasonal differences. The special tendency was apparent in the open sea. That is, the flow in the offshore regions showed results similar to that of the Tsushima current. The wind-driven currents in the coastal area showed to be much stronger than in offshore regions. Vertically, the flow of the surface layer was much stronger than that of the bottom layer. Through these results, material transport and diffusion in the south coast, as a basis for predicting the spread of use is expected to be available.
- 조규대, 홍철훈, 이규형, 윤종휘, 양성기, 최용규, 김동선, 조광우, 김해동, 김상우(2005), 알기쉽게 풀어 쓴 물리해양학. 부경대학교 출판부, pp. 165-167.
- 조양기(1988), 남해의 저층수와 유량에 관한 연구, 서울대학교 대학원 이학석사학위논문, p. 55.
- 한국해양연구소(1996), 한반도 조석 조화상수집(1), 한국해양연구소, p. 541.
- Blumberg, A. F. and G. L. Mellor(1987), A description of a three-dimensional coastal ocean circulation model. In: Three dimensional Coastal Models(N. S. heaps, ed.), American Geophysical Union, Washington, D. C., pp. 1-16.
- Chang, K. I., K. Kim, S. W. Lee and T. B. Shim(1995), Hydrography and sub-tidal current in the Cheju Strait in Spring. J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 30: pp. 203-215.
- Cho, Y. K. and K. Kim(1995), Characteristics and origin of the cold water in the South Sea of Korea in summer, J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 19, pp. 414-421.
- Kim, K., K. R. Kim, T. S. Rhee, H. K. Rho, R. Limeburner and R. C. Beardsley(1991a), Identification of water masses in the Yellow Sea and the East China Sea by cluster analysis, Oceanography of Asian marginal seas, edited by K. Takno. Elsevier, pp. 253-267.
- Kim, K., H. K. Rho and S. H. Lee(1991b), Water masses and circulation around Cheju-Do in summer. J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 26, pp. 262-277.
- Lie, H. J.(1986), Summertime hydrographic features in the southeasten Hwanhhae. Progress in Oceanography, 17, pp. 229-242. https://doi.org/10.1016/0079-6611(86)90046-7
- Lie, H. J. and C. H. Cho(1997), Surface Current Fields in the Eastern East China Sea. J. Oceanol. Soc. Korea, 32, pp. 1-7.
- Park, Y. H.(1986), Water characteristics and movement of the Yellow Sea Warm Current in summer. Progress in Oceanography, 17, pp. 243-254. https://doi.org/10.1016/0079-6611(86)90047-9
- Suk, M. S., Hong, G. H., Chung, C. S., Chang K. I. and D. J. Kang(1996), Distribution and Transport of Suspended Particulate Matter, Dissolved Oxygen and Major Inorganic Nutrients in the Cheju Strait. Journal of the Korean Society of Oceanography, 31(2), pp. 55-63.
- Teague, W. J., G. A. Jacobs, H. T. Perkins and J. W. Book(2002), Low-Frequency Current Observations in the Korea/Tsushima Strait. Journal of Physical Oceanography, 32(6), pp. 162-1641.
- Species Composition and Distribution of Set-net Catches on the Coast of Dapo, Geoje Island vol.47, pp.6, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5657/KFAS.2014.0997
- Environmental factors affecting anchovy reproductive potential in the southern coastal waters of Korea vol.17, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1080/19768354.2013.782896