- Volume 13 Issue 5
DOI QR Code
Clinical, Endoscopic and Pathogical Characteristics of Early-Onset Colorectal Cancer in Vietnamese
- Quach, Duc Trong (Department of Endoscopy, University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Hochiminh City) ;
- Nguyen, Oanh Thuy (Department of Endoscopy, University of Medicine and Pharmacy in Hochiminh City)
- Published : 2012.05.30
Background: The Asia Pacific consensus for colorectal cancer (CRC) recommends that screening programs should begin by the age of 50. However, there have been reports about increasing incidence of CRC at a younger age (i.e. early-onset CRC). Little is known about the features of early-onset CRC in the Vietnamese population. Aim: To describe the clinical, endoscopic and pathological characteristics of early-onset CRC in Vietnamese. Method: A prospective, cross-sectional study was conducted at the University Medical Center from March 2009 to March 2011. All patients with definite pathological diagnosis of CRC were recruited. The early-onset CRC group were analyzed in comparison with the late-onset (i.e.
- Al-Jaberi TM, Yaghan RJ, El-Heis HA (2003). Colorectal cancer in young patients under 40 years of age. Comparison with old patients in a well defined Jordanian population. Saudi Med J, 24, 871-4.
- Fazeli MS, Adel MG, Lebaschi AH (2007). Colorectal carcinoma: a retrospective, descriptive study of age, gender, subsite, stage, and differentiation in Iran from 1995 to 2001 as observed in Tehran University. Dis Colon Rectum, 50, 990-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10350-007-0248-z
- Foroutan M, Rahimi N, Tabatabaeifar M, et al (2008). Clinical features of colorectal cancer in Iran: a 15-year review. J digestive diseases, 9, 225-7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1751-2980.2008.00351.x
- Gupta S, Bhattacharya D, Acharya AN, et al (2010). Colorectal carcinoma in young adults: a retrospective study on Indian Patients: 2000-2008. Colorectal Dis, 10, 182-9.
- Kahi CJ, Imperiale TF, Juliar BE, et al (2009). Effect of screening colonoscopy on colorectal cancer incidence and mortality. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol, 7, 770-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cgh.2008.12.030
- Karsten B, Kim J, King J, et al (2008). Characteristics of colorectal cancer in young patients at an urban county hospital. Am Surg, 74, 973-6.
- Makela JT, Kiviniemi H (2010). Clinicopathological features of colorectal cancer in patients under 40 years of age. Int J Colorectal Dis, 25, 823-8. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-010-0914-9
- Nath J, Wigley C, Keighley MR, et al (2009). Rectal cancer in young adults: a series of 102 patients at a tertiary care centre in India. Colorectal Dis, 11, 475-9. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1463-1318.2008.01607.x
- Neufeld D, Shpitz B, Bugaev N, et al (2009). Young-age onset of colorectal cancer in Israel. Tech Coloproctol, 13, 201-4. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10151-009-0501-7
- Peedikayil MC, Nair P, Seena SM, et al (2009). Colorectal cancer distribution in 220 Indian patients undergoing colonoscopy. Indian J Gastroenterol, 28, 212-5. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12664-009-0087-z
- Rex DK, Johnson DA, Anderson JC, et al (2009). American college of gastroenterology guidelines for colorectal cancer screening 2009 [corrected]. Am J Gastroenterol, 104, 739-50. https://doi.org/10.1038/ajg.2009.104
- Savas N, Dagli U, Akbulut S, et al (2007). Colorectal cancer localization in young patients: should we expand the screening program?. Dig Dis Sci, 52, 798-802. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10620-006-9432-6
- Siegel RL, Jemal A, Ward EM (2009). Increase in incidence of colorectal cancer among young men and women in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 18, 1695-98. https://doi.org/10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-09-0186
- Stryker SJ, Wolff BG, Culp CE, et al (1987). Natural history of untreated colonic polyps. Gastroenterology, 93, 1009-13. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-5085(87)90563-4
- Sung JJ, Lau JY, Young GP, et al (2008). Asia Pacific consensus recommendations for colorectal cancer screening. Gut, 57, 1166-76. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2007.146316
- Umar A, Boland CR, Terdiman JP, et al (2004). Revised bethesda guidelines for hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer (Lynch syndrome) and microsatellite instability. J Natl Cancer Inst, 96, 261-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/jnci/djh034
- Winawer SJ, Zauber AG, Ho MN, et al (1993). Prevention of colorectal cancer by colonoscopic polypectomy. The national polyp study workgroup. N Engl J Med, 329, 1977-81. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199312303292701
- Yantiss RK, Goodarzi M, Zhou XK, et al (2009). Clinical, pathologic, and molecular features of early-onset colorectal carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol, 33, 572-82. https://doi.org/10.1097/PAS.0b013e31818afd6b
- Histopathological Features of Colorectal Cancer in Al-Madinah Region of Saudi Arabia: 8 Years Experience vol.15, pp.7, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2014.15.7.3133
- Clinical Features and Outcome of Sporadic Colorectal Carcinoma in Young Patients: A Cross-Sectional Analysis from a Developing Country vol.2014, pp.2090-567X, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/461570
- Characteristics of Young Colorectal Cancer in Brunei Darussalam: an Epidemiologic Study of 29 Years (1986-2014) vol.16, pp.8, 2015, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2015.16.8.3279
- Asia-Pacific Colorectal Screening score: A useful tool to stratify risk for colorectal advanced neoplasms in Vietnamese patients with irritable bowel syndrome vol.33, pp.1, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jgh.13821
- Differences in K-rasand mitochondrial DNA mutations and microsatellite instability between colorectal cancers of Vietnamese and Japanese patients vol.14, pp.1, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1186/s12876-014-0203-0