- Volume 15 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
A Study on Optimization of the Global-Correlation-Based Objective Function for the Simultaneous-Source Full Waveform Inversion with Streamer-Type Data
스트리머 방식 탐사 자료의 동시 송신원 전파형 역산을 위한 Global correlation 기반 목적함수 최적화 연구
- Son, Woo-Hyun (Department of Energy Systems Engineering, Seoul National University) ;
- Pyun, Suk-Joon (Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Jang, Dong-Hyuk (Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Inha University) ;
- Park, Yun-Hui (Department of Energy Resources Engineering, Inha University)
- Received : 2012.06.19
- Accepted : 2012.07.13
- Published : 2012.08.31
The simultaneous-source full waveform inversion improves the applicability of full waveform inversion by reducing the computational cost. Since this technique adopts simultaneous multi-source for forward modeling, unwanted events remain in the residual seismograms when the receiver geometry of field acquisition is different from that of numerical modeling. As a result, these events impede the convergence of the full waveform inversion. In particular, the streamer-type data with limited offsets is the most difficult data to apply the simultaneous-source technique. To overcome this problem, the global-correlation-based objective function was suggested and it was successfully applied to the simultaneous-source full waveform inversion in time domain. However, this method distorts residual wavefields due to the modified objective function and has a negative influence on the inversion result. In addition, this method has not been applied to the frequency-domain simultaneous-source full waveform inversion. In this paper, we apply a timedamping function to the observed and modeled data, which are used to compute global correlation, to minimize the distortion of residual wavefields. Since the damped wavefields optimize the performance of the global correlation, it mitigates the distortion of the residual wavefields and improves the inversion result. Our algorithm incorporates the globalcorrelation-based full waveform inversion into the frequency domain by back-propagating the time-domain residual wavefields in the frequency domain. Through the numerical examples using the streamer-type data, we show that our inversion algorithm better describes the velocity structure than the conventional global correlation approach does.
Supported by : 한국에너지 기술평가원(KETEP)
- Ben-Hadj-Ali, H., Operto, S., and Virieux, J., 2009, Three dimensional frequency-domain full waveform inversion with phase encoding, 79th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 2288-2292.
- Ben-Hadj-Ali, H., Operto, S., and Virieux, J., 2011, An efficient frequency-domain full waveform inversion method using simultaneous encoded sources, Geophysics, 76, R109-R124. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.3581357
- Capdeville, Y., Gung, Y., and Romanowicz, B., 2005, Towards global earth tomography using the spectral element method: A technique based on source stacking, Geophysical Journal International, 162, 541-554. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-246X.2005.02689.x
- Choi, Y., and Alkhalifah, T., 2011, Application of encoded multi-source waveform inversion to marine-streamer acquisition based on the global correlation, 73rd Conference and Exhibition, EAGE, Extended Abstracts, F026.
- Fomel, S., 2007, Local seismic attributes, Geophysics, 72, A29-A33. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.2437573
- Ha, T., Chung, W., and Shin, C., 2009, Waveform inversion using a back-propagation algorithm and a Huber function, Geophysics, 74, R15-R24. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.3112572
- Jing, X., Finn, C. J., Dickens, T. A., and Willen, D. E., 2000, Encoding multiple shot gathers in prestack migration, 70th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 786-789.
- Kim, Y., Cho, H., Min, D.-J., and Shin, C., 2011, Comparison of Frequency-Selection Strategies for 2D Frequency-Domain Acoustic Waveform Inversion, Pure and Applied Geophysics, 168, 1715-1727. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00024-010-0196-8
- Krebs, J. R., Anderson, J. E., Hinkley, D., Neelamani, R., Lee, S., Baumstein, A., and Lacasse, M.-D., 2009, Fast fullwavefield seismic inversion using encoded sources, Geophysics, 74, WCC177-WCC188. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.3230502
- Morton, S. A., and Ober, C. C., 1998, Faster shot-record depth migration using phase encoding, 68th Annual International Meeting, SEG, Expanded Abstracts, 1131-1135.
- Romero, L. A., Ghiglia, D. C., Ober, C. C., and Morton, S. A., 2000, Phase encoding of shot records in prestack migration, Geophysics, 65, 426-436. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1444737
- Routh, P. S., Krebs, J. R., Lazaratos, S., Baumstein, A. I., Chikichev, I., Lee, S., Downey, N., Hinkley, D., and Andorson, J. E., 2011, Full-wavefield inversion of marine streamer data with the encoded simultaneous source method, 73rd Conference and Exhibition, EAGE, Extended Abstracts, F032.
- Shin, C., Pyun, S., and Bednar, J. B., 2007, Comparison of waveform inversion, part 1: conventional wavefield vs logarithmic wavefield, Geophysical Prospecting, 55, 449-464. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2478.2007.00617.x
- Sirgue, L., and Pratt, R. G., 2004, Efficient waveform inversion and imaging: A strategy for selecting temporal frequencies, Geophysics, 69, 231-248. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1649391
- Versteeg, R., 1994, The Marmousi experience: Velocity model determination on a synthetic complex data set, The Leading Edge, 13, 927-936. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.1437051
- Virieux, J., and Operto, S., 2009, An overview of full-waveform inversion in exploration geophysics, Geophysics, 74, WCC1-WCC26. https://doi.org/10.1190/1.3238367
- Joint Electromagnetic Inversion with Structure Constraints Using Full-waveform Inversion Result vol.17, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.7582/GGE.2014.17.4.187