- Volume 26 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on The Relationships Between Job Stress, Social Support and Job Satisfaction of Taxi Drivers
일 대도시지역 택시 기사의 직무스트레스, 사회적 지지 및 직무만족도의 관계 : 사회적 지지의 매개효과
- Im, Eun-Seon (Chosun University Graduate School) ;
- Choi, Soon-Hee (Chonnam National University College of Nursing)
- Received : 2012.03.24
- Accepted : 2012.07.15
- Published : 2012.08.31
Purpose: This study was conducted in order to investigate the relationships between job stress or social support and job satisfaction, and the function of social support, theoretically considered to mediate the relationship between job stress and job satisfaction. Methods: After obtaining informed consent from participants, data were collected from 122 taxi drivers. Gamma was used for testing of the first and second hypotheses. Partial Gamma was used to test the third hypothesis. Patterns of elaboration described by Babbie (1986) were selected for interpretation of the relationship among the three variable analyses. Results: First, a negative relationship was observed between job stress and job satisfaction (Gamma=-.543, p=.001) and a positive relationship was observed between social support and job satisfaction (Gamma=.741, p<.001). Second, when controlling for social support, the relationship between job stress and job satisfaction showed a decrease under conditions of both low and high social support. As for the mediating effect of social support, job stress was found to affect social support and social support was found to affect job satisfaction. Conclusion: The results showed that social support had a mediating effect between job stress and job satisfaction. Therefore, development and implementation of appropriate social support interventions is needed in order to reduce job stress and promote job satisfaction.
- Babbie, E. (1986). The Practice of Social Research (4th ed). Belmont, California: Wadsworth publishing Co.
- Bark, W. Y. (2010). The relationship between job stress factors of public officials in charge of social welfare and organizational effectiveness focusing on stress as a mediator and social support as a moderator. Unpublished master's thesis, Cheongju University, Cheongju.
- Baron, R. M., & Kenny, D. A. (1986). The moderator-mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 51, 1173-1182. https://doi.org/10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.523
- Chang, S. J., Koh, S. B., Kang, D. M., Kim, S. A., Kang, M. G., Lee, C. G., et al. (2005). Developing an occupational stress for korean employee. The Korean Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 17(4), 297-317.
- Chu, C. I., Lee, M. S., & Hsu, H. M. (2006). The impact of social support and job stress on public health nurses' organizational citizenship behaviors in rural taiwan. Public Health Nursing, 23(6), 496-505. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1446.2006.00599.x
- Jang, I. S. (2009). A study on the correlation among occupational stress, depression, health-related behavior and type A behavior patterns of male workers at a Steel Factory. Korean Journal of Occupational Healthy Nursing, 18(2), 153-164.
- Jang, M. (2009). A study on the relationship between job stress, social support, self-efficacy and depression of flight attendants. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Joseph, L. (1990). Occupational Medicine. United States of America: Appleton & Lange
- Kim, G. S. (2003). Work stress and related factors among married working women in the manufacturing sector. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 17(2), 212-223.
- Kim, H. J. (2009). The degree of job stress, self-efficacy and job satisfaction in psychiatric nurses. Unpublished master's thesis, Inje University, Gimhae
- Kim, H. S. (2005). The effect of job stress in hospital worker on job satisfaction and organizational commitment. Unpublished master's thesis, Yonsei University, Seoul.
- Kim, K. S. (2011). Fireflighters occupational stress on job satisfaction and organizational commitment, effect analysis. Unpublished master's thesis, Suncheon National University, Suncheon.
- Kim, S. J. (2011). A study on the job satisfaction influence factors of the casino employees-focused on the casino at kangwonland. Unpublished master's thesis, Kangwon National University, Chuncheon.
- Kim, S. I., Cha, S. K., & Lim, J. Y. (2001). A correlational study among internal marketing factor, nurse's job satisfaction, and organizational commitment in hospital nursing organization. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 15(1), 42-55.
- Kim, Y. K. (2008). Relationships between fatigue, sleep disturbance and job stress among taxi drivers in shift work. Unpublished master's thesis, Chonnam National University, Gwangju.
- Koh, S. E. (2009). Mediating effects of social support in the relation between adolescent's life stress and suicidal ideation. Unpublished master's thesis, Myongji University, Seoul.
- Kone, D. Y., & Kim, S. S. (1997). A study on the satisfaction of occupational health nursing work related infuluencial in rural area. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 12(1), 37-54.
- Korea National Joint Conference of Taxi Association. (2011). Retrieved January 16, 2012, from http://taxi.or.kr/
- Kwen, S. J. (2005). A study of the effects of taxi driver's working environment on stress, smoking, and drinking. Unpublished master's thesis, Chongshin University, Seoul
- Lee, H. J., & Seo, J. M., & Ahn, S. H. (2003). The role of social support in the relationship between stress and depression among family caregivers of older adults with dementia. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 33(6). https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2003.33.6.713
- Lee, S. W. (2002). Job stress among workers by tasks. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Inje University, Gimhae.
- No, Y. H. (2011). The effect of job stress of regional government employees on job satisfaction and organizational commitment -focused on adjustment, prevention, solution effects according to social support. Unpublished master's thesis, Catholic University, Seoul.
- Park, E. J. (2010). A study on the relationship of perceived job stress, teacher efficacy, social support and organizational effectiveness in early childhood education teachers. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Daegu University, Kyungbuk.
- Park, Y. H., Rah, J. D., & Kim, S. H. (2011). Influences of working environmental factors of care providers on their job stress: Based on variables self-efficacy level. The aged welfare research, 52, 349-367.
- Park, Y. S., Park, K. M., Park, J. S., Koh, H. J., Kwon, Y. S., Kim, M. A., Kim, C. N., Park, C. J., Shin, Y. H., Lee, K. H., & Lee, B. S. (2001). A study of relationship of nurses' personality type and job satisfaction level according to the career. Journal of Korean Public Health Nursing, 15(2), 301-313.
- Stacciarini, J. M. R. & Troccoli, B. T. (2003). Occupational stress and constructive thinking: health and job satisfaction. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 46(5), 480-487.
- Transport companies transportation security Diagnostics white paper. (2010). Retrieved January 16, 2012, from http://www.ts2020.kr/tsbox/knowledge.action?cmd=Data¶m_ctg_ref=3¶m_ctg_cd=19¶m_ctg_level=1.
- Yoon, J. W. (2008). A prospective model of subjective life quality of clinical nurses. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Keimyung University, Daegu.
- Young, R. S. (2008). School stress and social adjustment of adolescents; focusing on social support system as a mediator. Unpublished master's thesis, Hanam University, Gwangju.
- Wheaton, B. (1985). Model for the stress -buffering functions of coping resources. Journal of Health & Social Behaviors, 26, 352-364. https://doi.org/10.2307/2136658
- Oral Health Belief and Oral Health Behavior of Taxi Driver in Jeollabuk-do vol.15, pp.5, 2015, https://doi.org/10.17135/jdhs.2015.15.5.542
- The Relationship between Role Conflict, Job Satisfaction, and Organizational Commitment among Community Healthcare Workers of the Seoul Preventive Project for Metabolic Syndrome vol.27, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5932/JKPHN.2013.27.1.16
- Determinant Factors of Service Orientation for Human Resources of Long Term Care Facility vol.9, pp.10, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13106/ijidb.2018.vol9.no10.39.