- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Amaranthus Pigments on Quality Characteristics of Pork Sausages
- Zhou, Cunliu (School of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Hefei University of Technology) ;
- Zhang, Lin (School of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Hefei University of Technology) ;
- Wang, Hui (School of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Hefei University of Technology) ;
- Chen, Conggui (School of Biotechnology and Food Engineering, Hefei University of Technology)
- Received : 2012.03.20
- Accepted : 2012.06.02
- Published : 2012.10.01
The objective of this investigation was to evaluate the possibility of substituting Amaranthus pigments for nitrates in the of manufacture pork sausage. Five treatments of pork sausages (5% fat) with two levels of sodium nitrite (0 and 0.015%), or three levels (0.1%, 0.2% and 0.3%) of pigments extracted from red Amaranthus were produced. The addition of Amaranthus pigments resulted in the significant increase of
Amaranthus Pigments;Natural Colorant;Nitrites Alternative;Pork Sausage;Quality Characteristics
- Bloukas, J. G., I. S. Arvanitoyannis and A. A. Siopi. 1999. Effect of natural colourants and nitrites on colour attributes of frankfurters. Meat Sci. 52:257-265. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0309-1740(98)00174-0
- Cai Y. Z., M. Sun and H. Corke. 1998. Colorant properties and stability of amaranthus betacyanin pigments. J. Agric. Food Chem. 46:4491-4495. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf980457g
- Cai, Y. Z., M. Sun and H. Corke. 2003. Antioxidant activity of betalains from plants of the Amaranthaceae. J. Agric. Food Chem. 51:2288-2294. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf030045u
- Cai, Y. Z., M. Sun and H. Corke. 2005. Characterization and application of betalain pigments from plants of the Amaranthaceae. Trends Food Sci. Technol. 16:370-376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tifs.2005.03.020
- Deng, Y., K. Rosenvold, A. H. Karlsson, P. Horn, J. Hedegaard, C. L. Steffensen and H. J. Andersen. 2002. Relationship between thermal denaturation of procine muscle proteins and water-holding capacity. J. Food Sci. 67:1642-1647. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.2002.tb08698.x
- Drabik-Markiewicz, G., K. Van den Maagdenberg, E. De Mey, S. Deprez, T. Kowalska and H. Paelinck. 2009. Role of proline and hydroxyproline in N-nitrosamine formation during heating in cured meat. Meat Sci. 81:479-486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2008.10.002
- Freund, P. R., C. J. Washam and M. Maggion. 1988. Natural color for use in foods. Cereal Foods World 33:553-559.
- Honikel, K-O. 2008. The use and control of nitrate and nitrite for the processing of meat products. Meat Sci. 78:68-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.05.030
- Huo, G. H. and C. Z. Guo. 1994. Exploiting study on the red pigment in Amaranthus tricolor. Acta Agric. Univ. Jiangxiensis 16:106-111 (in Chinese).
- Jin, S. J. 1990. Food Additives, 1st Edn. Eastern Chinese Chemistry College Press, Shanghai, China (in Chinese).
- John, L., D. P. Cornforth, C. E. Carpenter, O. Sorheim, B. Pettee and D. R. Whittier. 2005. Color and thiobarbituric acid values of cooked top sirloin steaks packaged in modified atmospheres of 80% oxygen, or 0.4% carbon monoxide, or vacuum. Meat Sci. 69:441-449. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2004.08.013
- Maiyo, Z. C., R. M. Ngure, J. C. Matasyoh and R. Chepkorir. 2010. Phytochemical constituents and antimicrobial activity of leaf extracts of three Amaranthus plant species. Afr. J. Biotechnol. 9:3178-3182.
- Mancini, R. A. and M. C. Hunt. 2005. Current research in meat color. Meat Sci. 71:100-121. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2005.03.003
- Martinez, L., I. Cilla, J. A. Beltran and P. Roncales. 2006. Comparative effect of red yeast rice (Monascus purpureus), red beet root (Beta vulgaris) and betanin (E-162) on colour and consumer acceptability of fresh pork sausages packaged in a modified atmosphere. J. Sci. Food Agric. 86:500-508. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2389
- Osterlie, M. and J. Lerfall. 2005. Lycopene from tomato products added minced meat: Effect on storage quality and colour. Food Res. Int. 38:925-929. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2004.12.003
- Sinnhuber, R. O. and T. C. Yu. 1958. 2-Thiobarbituric acid method for the measurement of rancidity in fishery products. II. The quantitative determination of malonaldehyde. Food Technol. 12:9-12.
- Sokkanha, S. and V. Tiratanakul. 2006. Effect of plastic vinyl cover and shading on the antioxidants level of selected indigenous vegetables. 24 Regional training course in vegetable production, research and extension. Asian Vegetable Research and Development Centre (AVRDC).
- Tan, F. J., F. Y. Liao, Y. J. Jhan and D. C. Liu. 2007. Effect of replacing pork backfat with yams (Dioscorea alata) on quality characteristics of Chinese sausage. J. Food Eng. 79:858-863. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jfoodeng.2006.03.006
- Wang, J. X., R. H. Wang, H. B. Wang, M. S. Sun, G. F. Yang, H. Xiao, K. Z. Cai, C. L. Zhou and C. H. Chen. 2010. Research progress in cured cooked-meat pigments derived from blood. Food Sci. 31:449-452. (In Chinese)
- Wang, E. X. and J. Zhao. 2008. Application of sensory evaluation in meats. Meat Res. 9:78-82. (In Chinese)
- Zhang, F. K., X. Y. Yi, L. X. You, H. Y. Chen and X. J. Liu. 2010. Optimizing fermentation process parameters of fermented beef sausages. Food Sci. 32:182-186. (in Chinese)
- Zhang, X., B. H. Kong and Y. L. Xiong. 2007. Production of cured meat color in nitrite-free Harbin red sausage by Lactobacillus fermentum fermentation. Meat Sci. 77:593-598. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.meatsci.2007.05.010