- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effect of Bacteriophage Supplementation on the Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Blood Characteristics, and Fecal Microbial Shedding in Growing Pigs
- Yan, L. ;
- Hong, S.M. ;
- Kim, I.H.
- Received : 2012.05.10
- Accepted : 2012.07.03
- Published : 2012.10.01
A total of 144 ((Duroc
Bacteriophages;Growth;Digestibility;Fecal Microbes;Growing Pigs
- AOAC. 2000. Official methods of analysis. 17th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Gaithersburg, MD.
- Barrow, P. 2001. The use of bacteriophages for treatment and prevention of bacterial disease in animals and animal models of human infection. J. Chem. Technol. Biotechnol. 76:677-682. https://doi.org/10.1002/jctb.436
- de Vrese, M. and P. R. Marteau. 2007. Probiotics and prebiotics: Effects on diarrhea. J. Nutr. 137:803S-811S.
- Forshell, L. P., and M. Wierup. 2006. Salmonella contamination: A significant challenge to the global marketing of animal food products. Rev. Sci. Tech. Off. Int. Epizoot. 25:541-554.
- Gebru, E., J. S. Lee, J. C. Son, S. Y. Yang, S. A. Shin, B. Kim, M. K. Kim and S. C. Park. 2010. Effect of probiotics, bacteriophage, or organic acid supplemented feeds or fermented soybean meal on the growth performance, acute phase response, and bacterial shedding of grower pig challenged with Salmonella enteric serotype Typhimurium. J. Anim. Sci. 88:3880-3886. https://doi.org/10.2527/jas.2010-2939
- Hart, G. K. and G. J. Dobb. 1988. Effect of a fecal bulking agent on diarrhea during enteral feeding in the critically ill. J. Parenter. Enteral Nutr. 12:465-468. https://doi.org/10.1177/0148607188012005465
- Jamalludeen, N., R. P. Johnson, P. E. Shewen and C. L. Gyles. 2009. Evaluation of bacteriphages for prevention and treatment of diarrhea due to experimental enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli O149 infection of pigs. Vet. Microbiol. 136:135-141. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vetmic.2008.10.021
- Lee, N. and D. L. Harris. 2001. The Effect of Bacteriophage Treatment as a Preharvest Intervention Strategy to Reduce the Rapid Dissemination of Salmonella typhimurium in Pigs. American Association of Swine Veterinarians (AASV), Perry, IA: AASV, pp. 555-557.
- Metchnikoff, E. 1908. The prolongation of life: optimistic studies. London: Heinemann. pp. 116-132.
- Nagy, B. and P. Z. Fekete. 1999 Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) in farm animal. Vet. Res. 30:259-284.
- National Research Council. 1998. Nutrient requirement of pigs 10th Ed. National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- SAS. 1996. SAS user's guide: Statistics. Version 7.0th edn. SAS Institute, Cary, North Carolina.
- Smith, H. W. and M. B. Huggins. 1982. Successful treatment of experimental Escherichia coli infections in mice using phage: its general superiority over antibiotics. J. Gen. Microbiol. 128: 307-318.
- Wang, J. P., J. S. Yoo, H. J. Kim, J. H. Lee and I. H. Kim. 2009. Nutrient digestibility, blood profiles and fecal microbiota are influenced by chitooligosaccharide supplementation of growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 125:298-303. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.05.011
- Wall, S. K., J. Zhang, M. H. Rostagno and P. D. Ebner. 2010. Phage therapy to reduce pre-processing Salmonella infections in market weight swine. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 76:48-53. doi:10.1128/AEM.00785-09. https://doi.org/10.1128/AEM.00785-09
- Williams, C. H., D. J. David and O. Iismaa. 1962. The determination of chromic oxide in faeces samples by atomic absorption spectrophotometery. J. Agric. Sci. 59:381-385. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002185960001546X
- Yan, L., J. P. Wang, H. J. Kim, Q. W. Meng, X. Ao, S. M. Hong and I. H. Kim. 2010. Influence of essential oil supplementation and diets with different nutrient densities on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics, meat quality and fecal noxious gas content in grower-finisher pigs. Livest. Sci. 128:115-122. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2009.11.008
- Yan, L., Q. W. Meng and I. H. Kim. 2011a. The effects of dietary Houttuynia cordata and Taraxacum officinale extract powder on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and meat quality in finishing pigs. Livest. Sci. 141:188-193 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.05.017
- Yan, L., J. H. Lee, Q. W. Meng and I. H. Kim. 2011b. Evaluation of the Anion supplementation on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in weaning pigs. J. Appl. Anim. Res. 39:36-40. https://doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2011.565568
- Yan, L., Q. W. Meng and I. H. Kim. 2011c. The effect of an herb extract mixture on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristics and fecal noxious gas content in growing pigs. Livest. Sci. 141:143-147 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2011.05.011
- Yan, L., Q. W. Meng and I. H. Kim. 2012. Effect of an herb extract mixture on growth performance, nutrient digestibility, blood characteristic, and fecal microbial shedding in weaning pigs. Livest. Sci. 145:189-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2012.02.001
- Zhao, P. Y. and I. H. Kim. 2012. Effects of bacteriophage supplementation on egg performance, egg quality, excreta microflora, and moisture content in laying hens. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 25:1015-1020. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2012.12026
- Effects of Dietary Supplementation of Bacteriophage on Growth Performance, Nutrient Digestibility, Blood Profiles, Carcass Characteristics and Fecal Microflora in Broilers vol.40, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.5536/KJPS.2013.40.1.075
- Effects of Dietary Probiotics as an Alternative to Antibiotics on Growth Performance, Biochemical Characteristics and Immune Response in Weaning Pigs vol.24, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2014.24.4.352
- Bacteriophages as antimicrobial agents against major pathogens in swine: a review vol.6, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40104-015-0039-7
- spp. shedding in a challenging environment vol.101, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12567
- Analysis of the effect of dietary protected organic acid blend on lactating sows and their piglets vol.45, pp.2, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1590/S1806-92902016000200001
- Bacteriophage cocktail and multi-strain probiotics in the feed for weanling pigs: effects on intestine morphology and targeted intestinal coliforms and Clostridium vol.11, pp.01, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731116001166
- Alternatives to antibiotics as growth promoters for use in swine production: a review vol.4, pp.1, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1186/2049-1891-4-35
- Synergistic effect of phage therapy using a cocktail rather than a single phage in the control of severe colibacillosis in quails vol.98, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.3382/ps/pey414
Supported by : Rural Development Adminstration