- Volume 25 Issue 10
DOI QR Code
Effects of Tropical High Tannin Non Legume and Low Tannin Legume Browse Mixtures on Fermentation Parameters and Methanogenesis Using Gas Production Technique
- Seresinhe, Thakshala (Dept. of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna) ;
- Madushika, S.A.C. (Dept. of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna) ;
- Seresinhe, Y. (Dept. of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna) ;
- La, P.K. (Dept. of Animal Science, Faculty of Agriculture, University of Ruhuna) ;
- Orskov, E.R. (James Hutton Institute)
- Received : 2012.04.20
- Accepted : 2012.07.03
- Published : 2012.10.01
In vitro experiments were conducted to evaluate the suitability of several mixtures of high tanniniferous non legumes with low tanniniferous legumes on in vitro gas production (IVGP), dry matter degradation, Ammonia-N, methane production and microbial population. Eight treatments were examined in a randomized complete block design using four non-legumes and two legumes (Carallia integerrima
Legume;Condensed Tannins;Crude Protein;In vitro Gas Production;In vitro Dry Matter Degradation;Methane
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed., Association of Official Analytical Chemists, Arlington, VA, USA.
- Ahmed, G. N., M. A. Abdel Nasir and E. Fadel. 2007. Chemical composition and in vitro gas production characteristics of six fodder trees leaves and seeds. J. Agric. Biol. Sci. 3:983-986.
- Ammar, H., S. Lopez, J. S. Gonzalez and M. Ranilla. 2004. Comparison between Analytical methods and biological assays for the assessment of tannin-related antinutritive effects in some Spanish browse species. J. Sci. Food Agric. 84:1349-1356. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.1766
- Aregheore, E. M. and S. A. Abdulrazak. 2005. Estimation of organic matter digestibility and metabolizable energy content of agro-industrial wastes using in vitro gas production Nigerian. J. Anim. Prod. 32:79-87.
- Babayemi, O. J., D. Demeyer and V. Fievez. 2004. Nutritive value and qualitative assessment of secondary compounds in seeds of eight tropical browse, shrub and pulse legumes. Commun. Agric. Appl. Biol. Sci. 69:103-110.
- Balogun, R. O., R. J. Jones and J. H. G. Holmes. 1998. Digestibility of some tropical browse species varying in tannin content. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 76:77-88. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(98)00210-7
- Barry, T. N., T. R. Manley and S. J. Duncan. 1986. The role of condensed tannins in the nutritive value of Lotus peduculatus for sheep 4 sites of carbohydrate and protein digestion as influenced by dietary reactive tannin concentration. Br. J. Nutr. 55:123-137. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19860016
- Blummel, M. and K. Becker. 1997. The degradability characteristics of fifty-four roughages and roughage neutral detergent fibers as described by in vitro gas production and the relationship to voluntary feed intake. Br. J. Nutr. 77:757-768. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN19970073
- Carlos, E. and Lascano. 2003. Tropical grasses and legumes: Optimizing genetic diversity for multipurpose use (Project IP5), Centro Internacional de Agricultura Tropical (CIAT).
- Castro-Gonzales, A. and J. A. Alayon-Gamboa. 2008. Affects of Brosimum alicastrum and Lysolima latisiliquum mixtures on voluntary intake, nutrient digestibility and nitrogen balance in sheep fed tropical pastures. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 141: 246-258. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.06.033
- Chenost, M., J. Aufrère and D. Macheboeuf. 2001. The gas-test technique as a tool for predicting the energetic value of forage plants. Anim. Res. 50:349-364. https://doi.org/10.1051/animres:2001137
- Getachew, G., H. P. S. Makkar and K. Becker. 2002. Tropical browses: Contents of phenolic compounds in vitro gas production and stoichiometric relationship between short chain Fatty acid and in vitro gas production. J. Agric. Sci. 139:341-352.
- Hariyadi, B. T. and B. Santoso. 2010. Evaluation of tropical plants containing tannin on in vitro methanogenesis and fermentation parameters using rumen fluid. J. Sci. Food Agric. 90:456-461.
- Hess, H. D., l. M. Monsalve, C. E. Lascano, C. E. Carulla, T. E. Diaz and M. Kreuzer. 2003. Supplementation of a tropical grass diet with forage legumes and Sapindus saponaria fruits: effects of in vitro ruminal nitrogen turnover and methanogenensis. Aust. J. Agric. Res. 54:703-713. https://doi.org/10.1071/AR02241
- Kamalak, A. 2005. Chemical composition and in vitro dry matter digestibility of leaves of Vitis Vinifera. Livest. Res. Rural Dev. 17:68.
- Kamalak, A., O. Canbolat, Y. Gurbuz, O. Ozzy and C. O. Ozkose. 2005. Chemical composition and its relationship to in vitro gas production of several tannin-containing trees and shrub leaves. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 18:203-208 https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2005.203
- Makkar, H. P. S. 2003. Quantification of tannins in tree and shrub foliage. A Laboratory Manual. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Menke, K. H. and H. Steingass. 1988. Estimation of the energetic feed value obtained from chemical analysis and in vitro gas production using rumen fluid. Anim. Res. Dev. 28:7-55.
- Nguyen, T. M., D. Van Binh and E. R. Orskov. 2005. Effect of foliages containing condensed tannins and gastrointestinal parasites. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 122:77-87.
- Njidda, A. A. and I. Ikhimioya. 2010. In vitro gas production and dry matter digestibility of semi-arid browses of north eastern Nigeria. Slovak J. Anim. Sci. 43:154-159.
- Porter, I. P., I. N. Hrstich and B. G. Chan. 1986. The conversion of procyanidins and prodelphinidins to cyanidin and delphinidin. Phytochemistry 25:223-230.
- Reed J. D., H. Soller and A. Woodwar. 1990. Fodder tree and straw diets for sheep: intake, growth, digestibility and the effects of phenolic on nitrogen utilization. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 30:39-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/0377-8401(90)90050-I
- Seresinhe, T. and R. A. U. J. Marapana. 2011. Goat farming systems in the southern province of Sri Lanka: Feeding and management strategies. World J. Agric. Sci. 7:383-390.
- Seresinhe, Y. D. J. W., T. Seresinhe and K. K. Pathirana. 2003. Assessment of the feeding value of five shrub legumes of local interest. In: Proceedings of the second academic session, University of Ruhuna, Matara, Sri Lanka, Jan 23. pp. 43-48.
- Seresinhe, T. and C. Iben. 2003. In vitro quality assessment of two tropical shrub legumes in relation to their extractable tannins content. J. Anim. Physiol. Anim. Nutr. 87:109-115. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0396.2003.00422.x
- Silanikove, N., N. Gilboa and Z. Nitsan. 2001. Effects of condensed tannins in carob leaves (Ceratonia siliqua) on rumen volume and passage rate of liquid and particulate matter along the digestive tract in goats. Small Rumin. Res. 40:95-99. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(00)00209-1
- Soliva, C. R., A. B. Zeleke, C. Clement, H. D. Hess, V. Fievez and M. Kreuzer. 2008. In vitro screening of various tropical foliages, seeds, fruits and medicinal plants for low methane and high ammonia generating potentials in the rumen. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 147:53-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2007.09.009
- Tjahyono, B. and H. B. Santoso. 2010. Evaluation of tropical plants containing tannin on in vitro methanogenesis and fermentation parameters using rumen fluid. J. Sci. Food Agric. 90:456-461.
- Tolera, A., K. Khazaal and E. R. Orskov. 1997. Nutritive evaluation of some browse species Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 67:181-195. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(96)01119-4
- Van Soest, P. J. 1967. Development of a comprehensive system of feed analysis and its application to forages. J. Anim. Sci. 26: 119-128.
- Digestibility of Buffel grass (Cenchrus ciliaris)-based diets supplemented with four levels of Gliricidia sepium hay in hair sheep lambs vol.45, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-013-0369-4
- Effects of supplementation of threshed sorghum top with selected browse plant foliage on haematology and serum biochemical parameters of Red Sokoto goats vol.48, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-016-1045-2
- using in vitro and in vivo bioassays in sheep pp.09312439, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jpn.12810