- Volume 25 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Increases of Antibiotic Resistance in Excessive Use of Antibiotics in Smallholder Dairy Farms in Northern Thailand
- Suriyasathaporn, W. ;
- Chupia, V. ;
- Sing-Lah, T. ;
- Wongsawan, K. ;
- Mektrirat, R. ;
- Chaisri, W.
- Received : 2012.01.10
- Accepted : 2012.04.16
- Published : 2012.09.01
Antibiotic resistance patterns of bacterial isolates from both quarter teat-tip swabs and their quarter milk samples were evaluated in smallholder dairy farms in northern Thailand with excessive use of antibiotics (HIGH) compared with normal use (NORM). Results from teat-tip swab samples showed that the percentage of Bacillus spp. resistance to overall antibiotics was significantly lower in the NORM group than that of the HIGH group, whereas, the resistance percentage of coagulase-negative staphylococci in the NORM group was higher than that of the HIGH one. The overall mastitis-causing bacteria isolated from milk samples were environmental streptococci (13.8%), coagulase-negative staphylococci (9.9%), Staphylococcus aureus (5.4%), and Corynebacterium bovis (4.5%). Both staphylococci and streptococci had significantly higher percentages of resistance to cloxacillin and oxacillin in the HIGH group when compared to the NORM one. An occurrence of vancomycin-resistant bacteria was also observed in the HIGH group. In conclusion, the smallholder dairy farms with excessive use of antibiotics had a higher probability of antibiotic-resistant pattern than the farms with normal use.
Antibiotic Resistance;Environment;Mastitis;Cow;Bacteria;Dairy Farm
- Almaw, G., A. Zerihun and Y. Asfaw. 2008. Bovine mastitis and its association with selected risk factors in smallholder dairy farms in and around bahir dar, ethiopia. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 40:427-432. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-007-9115-0
- Berry, E. A. and J. E. Hillerton. 2002. The effect of selective dry cow treatment on new intramammary infections. J. Dairy Sci. 85:112-121. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(02)74059-9
- Black, D. G., T. M. Taylor, H. J. Kerr, S. Padhi, T. J. Montville and P. M. Davidson. 2008. Decontamination of fluid milk containing bacillus spores using commercial household products. J. Food Prot. 71:473-478. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jprot.2008.07.007
- Boonmar, S., A. Bangtrakulnonth, S. Pornruangwong, S. Samosornsuk, K. Kaneko and M. Ogawa. 1998. Significant increase in antibiotic resistance of salmonella isolates from human beings and chicken meat in thailand. Vet. Microbiol. 62:73-80. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0378-1135(98)00194-1
- Boonyayatra, S., J. Thaboonpeng, K. Kreausukon and W. Suriyasathaporn. 2007. Anitimicrobial resistance of mastitis-associated bacteria in lactating dairy cows in chiang mai province. Chiang Mai Vet. J. 5:135-145.
- Chaikhun, T., S. Surawong, S. Boonyayatra and W. Suriyasathaporn. 2005. Factors associated with subclinical mastitis in posparturient lactating cows in chiang mai and lumphun provinces. Chiang Mai Vet. J. 3:31-42.
- Chantalakhana, C. and P. Skunmun. 2002. Sustainable smallholder animal systems in the tropics. Kasetsart University Press, Bangkok.
- Faria, C., I. Vaz-Moreira, E. Serapicos, O. C. Nunes and C. M. Manaia. 2009. Antibiotic resistance in coagulase negative staphylococci isolated from wastewater and drinking water. Sci. Total Environ. 407:3876-3882. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2009.02.034
- Hanson, R., J. B. Kaneene, P. Padungtod, K. Hirokawa and C. Zeno. 2002. Prevalence of salmonella and e. Coli, and their resistance to antimicrobial agents, in farming communities in northern thailand. Southeast Asian J. Trop. Med. Publ. Health. 33:120-126.
- Harmon, R. J., R. J. Eberhart, D. E. Jasper, B. E. Langlois and R. A. Wilson. 1990. Microbiological procedures for the diagnosis of bovine udder infection. 3rd Ed. National Mastitis Council Inc., Arlington, VA.
- Isenbarger, D. W., C. W. Hoge, A. Srijan, C. Pitarangsi, N. Vithayasai, L. Bodhidatta, K. W. Hickey and P. D. Cam. 2002. Comparative antibiotic resistance of diarrheal pathogens from vietnam and thailand, 1996-1999. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 8:175-180. https://doi.org/10.3201/eid0802.010145
- Jensen, L. B., S. Baloda, M. Boye and F. M. Aarestrup. 2001. Antimicrobial resistance among pseudomonas spp. and the bacillus cereus group isolated from danish agricultural soil. Environ. Int. 26:581-587. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0160-4120(01)00045-9
- Lopez-Lozano, J. M., D. L. Monnet, A. Yague, A. Burgos, N. Gonzalo, P. Campillos and M. Saez. 2000. Modelling and forecasting antimicrobial resistance and its dynamic relationship to antimicrobial use: A time series analysis. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 14:21-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-8579(99)00135-1
- McAllister, T. A., L. J. Yanke, G. D. Inglis and M. E. Olson. 2001. Is antibiotic use in dairy cattle causing antibiotic resistance? Adv. Dairy Technol. 13:229-247.
- Moran, J. 2009. Business management for tropical dairy farmers. Landlinks Press, Collingwood, Victoria.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS). 2002. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk and Dilution Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria Isolated from Animals; Approved standard M31-A2. National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, Wayne, PA.
- National Mastitis Council (NMC). 1999. Laboratory handbook on bovine mastitis. NMC Inc., Madison.
- Pol, M. and P. L. Ruegg. 2007. Relationship between antimicrobial drug usage and antimicrobial susceptibility of gram-positive mastitis pathogens. J. Dairy Sci. 90:262-273. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(07)72627-9
- Radostits, O. M., C. C. Gay, K. W. Hinchcliff and P. D. Constable. 2008. Veterinary medicine; a textbook of the diseases of cattle, horses, sheep, pigs and goats. WB. Sauders, Philadelphia.
- Ranong, V. N. and N. Chalermpao. 2003. Environmental, health, and welfare issues on thai livestock sector. In: Project on Livestock Industrialization, Trade and Social-Health-Environment. FAO, Agriculture and Consumer Protection.
- Roesch, M., M. D. Doherr, W. Scharen, M. Schallibaum and J. W. Blum. 2007. Subclinical mastitis in dairy cows in swiss organic and conventional production systems. J. Dairy Res. 74:86-92. https://doi.org/10.1017/S002202990600210X
- Susamo, H. and L. Ocampo. 1992. Pharmacological basis for treatment of bovine mastitis-review. Int. J. Vet. Med. 47:127-135.
- Suriyasathaporn, W. 2010. Milk quality and antimicrobial resistance against mastitis pathogens after changing from a conventional to an experimentally organic farm. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 23:659-664. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2010.90345
- Suriyasathaporn, W. 2011. Epidemiology of subclinical mastitis and their antibacterial susceptibility in smallholder dairy farms, Chiang Mai provinces, Thailand. J. Anim. Vet. Adv. 10:316-321. https://doi.org/10.3923/javaa.2011.316.321
- Thai-Drug-Control-Division. 2009. Amounts of modern drug produced in thailand. http://www.app1.fda.moph.go.th/drug/zone_search/files/sea001_001.asp
- Workineh, S., M. Bayleyegn, H. Mekonnen and L. N. D. Potgieter. 2002. Prevalence and aetiology of mastitis in cows from two major ethiopian dairies. Trop. Anim. Health Prod. 34:19-25. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1013729626377
- Isolation, Biochemical and Molecular Identification, and In-Vitro Antimicrobial Resistance Patterns of Bacteria Isolated from Bubaline Subclinical Mastitis in South India vol.10, pp.11, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0142717
- Influence of pig farmer characteristics on improper use of veterinary drugs vol.48, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11250-016-1104-8
- from subclinical mastitis cows and water supply in dairy farms in Saraburi Province, Thailand vol.5, pp.2167-8359, 2017, https://doi.org/10.7717/peerj.3431