- Volume 25 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Hematological Responses, Survival, and Respiratory Exchange in the Olive Flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus, during Starvation
- Park, I.S. (Department of Marine Environment and Bioscience, College of Ocean Science and Technology, Korea Maritime University) ;
- Hur, J.W. (Water Resources and Environmental Research Center, K-water Institute, Korea Water Resources Corporation) ;
- Choi, J.W. (Department of Marine Environment and Bioscience, College of Ocean Science and Technology, Korea Maritime University)
- Received : 2012.03.06
- Accepted : 2012.05.05
- Published : 2012.09.01
A 12-wk experiment was conducted to examine the hematological changes, survival, and respiratory exchange in the olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus, during starvation. The growth, survival and respiratory exchange rates of the starved group were lower than those of the fed group during the experiment. Blood analysis, including hematocrit, hemoglobin, red blood cells, mean corpuscular hemoglobin, mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration, and mean corpuscular volume, did not differ significantly (p>0.05) between the fed and starved groups at the end of the experiment. There were no significant differences in plasma cortisol, glucose,
Supported by : National Research Foundation of Korea
- Barton, B. A. and G. K. Iwama. 1991. Physiological changes in fish from stress in aquaculture with emphasis on the response and effects of corticosteroids. Annu. Rev. Fish Dis. 1:3-26. https://doi.org/10.1016/0959-8030(91)90019-G
- Chavin, W. and J. E. Young. 1970. Facters in the determination of normal serum glucose levels of goldfish, Carassius auratus L. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 33:629-653. https://doi.org/10.1016/0010-406X(70)90376-2
- Dalla, V., J. P. Villani, E. Gasteiger and H. Niederstätter. 1998. Oxygen consumption in sea bass fingerling Dicentrarchus labrax exposed to acute salinity and temperature change: metabolic basis for maximum stocking density estimations. Aquaculture 169:303-313. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0044-8486(98)00375-5
- Davis, K. B. and N. C. Parker. 1990. Physiological stress in striped bass: effect of acclimation temperature. Aquculture 91:349-358. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(90)90199-W
- Erez, J., M. D. Krom and T. Neuwirth. 1990. Daily oxygen variations in marine fish pons, elat, Israel. Aquaculture 84: 289-305. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(90)90094-4
- Gardner, J. A. and G. King. 1923. Respiratory exchange in freshwater fish. Part VI. On pike (Esox lucius). Biochem. J. 17: 170-173.
- Guyton, A. C. 1991. Texbook of medical physiology. 8th, (Ed. M. J. Wonsiewiez and R. Hallowell), WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, p. 782.
- Harris, J. and D. J. Bird. 2000. Modulation of the fish immune system by hormones. Vet. Immunol. Immunopathol. 77:163-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0165-2427(00)00235-X
- Hur, J. W., J. H. Jo and I. -S. Park. 2006a. Effects of long-term starvation on hepatocyte ultrastructure of olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus. Ichthyol. Res. 53:306-310. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10228-006-0348-0
- Hur, J. W., S. R Woo, J. H. Jo and I. -S. Park. 2006b. Effects of starvation on kidney melano-macrophage center in olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus (Temminck et Schlegel). Aquac. Res. 37:821-825. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.2006.01498.x
- Hur, J. W., Y. J. Chang, H. K. Lim and B. K. Lee. 2001. Stress responses of cultured fishes elicited by water level reduction in rearing tank and fish transference during selection process. J. Korean Fish. Soc. 34:465-472.
- Ince, B. W. and A. Thorpe. 1976. The effects of starvation and force-feeding on the metabolism of the northern pike, Esox lucius L. J. Fish Biol. 8:79-88. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1976.tb03909.x
- Itazawa, Y. and I. Hanyu. 1991. Fish physiology. Koseisha Koseikaku, Tokyo, Japan, p. 621.
- Jung, M. H., J. M. Youn and T. H. Lee. 2003. Effect of liriopis tuber on the chang of corticosterone in mice induced by starvation stress. Korea J. Herbology 18: 279-287.
- Larsson A. and A. Lewander. 1973. Metabolic effects of starvation in the eel, Anguilla Anguilla L. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 44A: 367-374.
- Lee, C. K., I. -S. Park and S. B. Hur. 1998. Influence of starvation on the variations of hepatocyte nucleus in larvae of red spotted grouper, Epinephelus akaara. J. Aquacult. 11:11-17.
- Lee, K. K., Y. H. Kim and I. -S. Park. 1999. Effect of starvation on some nutritional parameters in Rhynchocypris oxycephalus. 1. Charateristics of the histological and biochemical changes. Korean J. Ichthyol. 11:33-41.
- Love, R. M. 1970. Depletion. In: The Chemical Biology of Fishes with a Key to the Chemical Literature, Academic Press, London, pp. 222-257.
- Lowe, T. E., J. M. Ryder, J. F. Carragher and R. M. G. Wells. 1993. Flesh quality in snapper, Pagrus auratus, affected by capture stress. J. Food Sci. 58:770-773. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1993.tb09355.x
- Mehner, T. and W. Wieser. 1994. Energetics and metabolic correlates of starvation in juvenile perch (Perca fluviatilis). J. Fish Biol. 45:325-333. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1994.tb01311.x
- Moon, T. W. 1983. Metabolic reserves and enzyme activities with food deprivation in immature American eels, Anguilla rostrata (Lesueur). Can. J. Zool. 61:802-811. https://doi.org/10.1139/z83-106
- Park, I. -S., J. H. Im, D. K. Ryu, Y. K. Nam and D. S. Kim. 2001. Effect of starvation on morphometric changes in Rhynchocypris oxycephalus (Sauvage and Dabry). J. Appl. Ichthyol. 17:277-281. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1439-0426.2001.00298.x
- Pickering, A. D. 1990. Stress the suppression of somatic growth in teleost fish. In: Progress in Comparative Endocrinology (Ed. A. Epple, C. G. Scanes and M. H. Stetson). Wiley-Liss, New York, 473-479.
- Pickering, A. D. 1993. Growth and stress in fish production. Aquaculture 111:51-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/0044-8486(93)90024-S
- Rios, F. S., A. L. Kalinin and F. T. Rantin. 2002. The effects of long-term food deprivation on respiration and haematology of the meotropical fish Hoplias malabaricus. J. Fish Biol. 61:85-95. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.2002.tb01738.x
- Rios, F. S., E. T. Oba, M. N. Fernandes, A. L. Kalinin and F. T. Rantin. 2005. Erythrocyte senescence and haematological changes induced by starvation in the neotropical fish traíra, Hoplias malabaricus (Characiformes, Erythrinidae). Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 140A:281-287.
- Specker, J. L. and C. B. Schreck. 1980. Stress response to transportation and fitness for marine survival in coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) smolts. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 37: 765-769. https://doi.org/10.1139/f80-102
- Sumpter, J. P., P. Y. Le Bail, A. D. Pickering, T. G. Pottinger and J. F. Carragher. 1991. The Effect of starvation on growth and plasma growth hormone concentrations of rainbow trout, Oncorhynchus mykiss. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 83: 94-102. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-6480(91)90109-J
- Tashima, L. and C. F. Cahill. 1968. Effects of insulin in the toadifish, Opsanus tau. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 11:262-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/0016-6480(68)90081-6
- Weatherley, A. H. and H. S. Gill. 1987. The biology of fish growth. 4. Protein, lipid and caloric contents. Academic press, London, pp. 139-146.
- Wendelaar Bonga, S. E. 1997. The stress response in fish. Physiol. Rev. 77:591-625.
- Wi, J. H. and Y. J. Chang. 1976. A basic study on transport of live fish (I). Bull. Fish. Res. Dev. Inst. Kor. 15:91-108.
- Changes in Hematological, Biochemical and Non-specific Immune Parameters of Olive Flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus, Following Starvation vol.27, pp.9, 2014, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2014.14110
- Effects of Starvation in Rock Bream, Oplegnathus fasciatus and Olive Flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus vol.19, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12717/DR.2015.19.2.097
- Influence of long (16L:8D) and short (8L:16D) photoperiods on blood metabolites and hepatic metabolism in Olive flounder, Paralichthys olivaceus vol.5, pp.1, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1186/s40064-016-2614-6
- Fight-flight or freeze-hide? Personality and metabolic phenotype mediate physiological defence responses in flatfish vol.85, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/1365-2656.12524
- Growth performances, survival rate, and biochemical parameters of Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) reared in water treated with probiotic vol.27, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00580-017-2633-x