- Volume 25 Issue 9
DOI QR Code
Soluble Non-ammonia Nitrogen in Ruminal and Omasal Digesta of Korean Native Steers Supplemented with Soluble Proteins
- Choi, Chang-Weon (Department of Animal Resources, Institute of Life and Environment, Daegu University) ;
- Kim, K.H. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Chang, S.S. (National Institute of Animal Science, RDA) ;
- Choi, N.J. (Department of Animal Science, Chonbuk National University)
- Received : 2012.06.08
- Accepted : 2012.06.20
- Published : 2012.09.01
An experiment was conducted to study the effect of soluble protein supplements on concentration of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen (SNAN) in the liquid phase of ruminal (RD) and omasal digesta (OD) of Korean native steers, and to investigate diurnal pattern in SNAN concentration in RD and OD. Three ruminally cannulated Korean native steers in a
Supported by : Rural Development Administration
- AOAC. 1990. Official methods of analysis. 15th ed. Association of Official Analytical Chemists. Washington, DC, USA.
- Broderick, G. A. and R. J. Wallace. 1988. Effects of dietary nitrogen source on concentrations of ammonia, free amino acids and fluorescamine-reactive peptides in the sheep rumen. J. Anim. Sci. 66:2233-2238.
- Chen, G., C. J. Sniffen and J. B. Russell. 1987a. Concentration and estimated flow of peptides from the rumen of dairy cattle: Effects of protein quantity, protein solubility, and feeding frequency. J. Dairy Sci. 70:983-992. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80103-0
- Chen, G., J. B. Russell and C. J. Sniffen. 1987b. A procedure for measuring peptides in rumen fluid and evidence that peptide uptake can be a rate-limiting step in ruminal protein degradation. J. Dairy Sci. 70:1211-1219. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(87)80133-9
- Choi, C. W. 2002. Assessment of the flow of soluble dietary non-ammonia nitrogen escaping degradation in the rumen of dairy cows fed grass silage based diets. Doctoral dissertation. University of Helsinki. Department of Animal Science. Viikki. Finland.
- Choi, C. W. 2007. Diurnal patterns in the flow of escapable soluble non-ammonia nitrogen fractions in omasal digesta as influenced by barley and rapeseed meal supplementation in cows fed grass silage based diet. J. Anim. Sci. Technol. 49:341-350. https://doi.org/10.5187/JAST.2007.49.3.341
- Choi, C. W. and C. B. Choi. 2003. Flow of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen in the liquid phase of digesta entering the omasum of dairy cows given grass silage based diets. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 16:1460-1468. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2003.1460
- Choi, C. W., S. Ahvenjärvi, A. Vanhatalo, V. Toivonen and P. Huhtanen. 2002a. Quantitation of the flow of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen entering the omasal canal of dairy cows fed grass silage based diets. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 96:203-220. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(01)00348-0
- Choi, C. W., A. Vanhatalo, S. Ahvenjärvi and P. Huhtanen. 2002b. Effects of several protein supplements on flow of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen from the forestomach and milk production in dairy cows. Anim. Feed Sci. Technol. 102:15-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0377-8401(02)00251-1
- Choi, C. W., A. Vanhatalo and P. Huhtanen. 2002c. Concentration and estimated flow of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen entering the omasum of dairy cows as influenced by different protein supplements. Agric. Food Sci. Finl. 11:79-91.
- Huhtanen, P., P. G. Brotz and L. D. Satter. 1997. Omasal sampling technique for assessing fermentative digestion in the forestomach of dairy cows. J. Anim. Sci. 75:1380-1392.
- Kim, J. H., Y. K. Oh, K. H. Kim, C. W. Choi, S. K. Hong, Y. J. Seol, D. H. Kim, G. C. Ahn, M. K. Song and K. K. Park. 2009. Effects of protein supply from soyhulls and wheat bran on ruminal metabolism, nutrient digestion and ruminal and omasal concentrations of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen of steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 22:1267-1278. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2009.90090
- Madsen, J., T. Hvelplund, M. R. Weisbjerg, J. Bertilsson, I. Olsson, R. Sporndly, O.M. Harstad, H. Volden, M. Tuori, T. Varvikko, P. Huhtanen and B. L. Olafsson. 1995. The AAT/PBV protein evaluation system for ruminants. A revision. Norw. J. Agric. Sci. (Suppl.) 19:1-37.
- Nolan, J. V. 1993. Nitrogen kinetics. In: Quantitative aspects of ruminant digestion and metabolism (Ed. J. M. Forbes and J. France). CAB International Wallingford, Oxon, UK, pp. 123-143.
- Oh, Y. K., J. H. Kim, K. H. Kim, C. W. Choi, S. W. Kang, I. S. Nam, D. H. Kim, M. K. Song, C. W. Kim and K. K. Park. 2008. Effects of level and degradability of dietary protein on ruminal fermentation and concentrations of soluble non-ammonia nitrogen ruminal and omasal digesta of Hanwoo steers. Asian-Aust. J. Anim. Sci. 21:392-403. https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.2008.70342
- Orskov, E. R. and P. McDonald. 1979. The estimation of protein degradability in the rumen from incubation measurements weighted according to rate passage. J. Agric. Sci. (Camb.) 92: 499-503. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0021859600063048
- Richards, C. J., A. F. Branco, D. W. Bohnert, G. B. Huntington, M. Macari and D. L. Harmon. 2002. Intestinal starch disappearance in steers abomasally infused with starch and protein. J. Anim. Sci. 80:3361-3368.
- Richards, C. J., K. C. Swanson, S. J. Paton, D. L. Harmon and G. B. Huntington. 2003. Pancreatic exocrine secretion in steers infused postruminally with casein and cornstarch. J. Anim. Sci. 81:1051-1056.
- Robinson, P. H. and R. E. McQueen. 1994. Influence of supplemental protein source and feeding frequency on rumen fermentation and performance in dairy cows. J. Dairy Sci. 77: 1340-1353. https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(94)77073-9
- Robinson, P. H., D. M. Veira and M. Ivan. 1998. Influence of supplemental protein quality on rumen fermentation, rumen microbial yield, forestomach digestion, and intestinal amino acid flow in late lactation Holstein cows. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 78:95-105. https://doi.org/10.4141/A97-054
- SAS. 2002. Statistical analysis systems. User's guide: Statistics, Version 9.1 Edition. 2002. SAS Inst., Inc., Cary, NC, USA.
- Smith, S. B. and J. D. Crouse. 1984. Relative contributions of acetate, lactate and glucose to lipogenesis in bovine intramuscular and subcutaneous adipose tissue. J. Nutr. 114: 792-800.
- Swanson, K. C., C. J. Richards and D. L. Harmon. 2002. Influence of abomasal infusion of glucose or partially hydrolyzed starch on pancreatic exocrine secretion in beef steers. J. Anim. Sci. 80:1112-1116.
- Taniguchi, K., G. B. Huntington and B. P. Glenn. 1995. Net nutrient flux by visceral tissues of beef steers given abomasal and ruminal infusions of casein and starch. J. Anim. Sci. 73:236-249.
- Van Straalen, W. M. and S. Tamminga. 1990. Protein degradation of ruminant diets. In Feedstuff evaluation. 1. Livestock. Feedingstuffs. Composition (Ed. J. Wiseman and D. J. A. Cole). Butterworths, London, UK, pp. 55-72.
- Volden, H. and O. M. Harstad. 1995. Effect of rumen incubation on the true indigestibility of feed protein in the digestive tract determined by nylon bag techniques. Acta Agric. Scand., Sect. A, Animal Sci. 45:106-115.
- Wright, D. E. and R. E. Hungate. 1967. Amino acid concentration in rumen fluid. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 15:148-151.
- Effect of corn grain particle size on ruminal fermentation and blood metabolites of Holstein steers fed total mixed ration vol.31, pp.1, 2018, https://doi.org/10.5713/ajas.17.0069