- Volume 35 Issue 3
Seasonal variations in the profile and concentrations of essential oil in Zanthoxylum piperitum were investigated by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Seasonal changes in the percentages of the main constituents of the essential oil of both leaves and fruits from Z. piperitum varied. Variations in essential oil yield and the amount of monoterpenes and sesquiterpenes in leaves and fruits at different developmental stages were significant. The characteristic content of essential oil in leaves was determined mainly due to the content of monoterpenes, and that in fruits was determined largely due to the sesquiterpenes. Twenty-nine compounds in the oil from Z. piperitum leaves were detected; the major compounds were
- Argyropoulou C, Daferera D, Tarantilis PA, Fasseas C, Polissiou M. 2007. Chemical composition of the essential oil from leaves of Lippia citriodora H.B.K. (Verbenaceae) at two developmental stages. Biochem Syst Ecol 35: 831-837. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bse.2007.07.001
- Batish DR, Singh HP, Setia N, Kaur S, Kohli RK. 2006. Chemical composition and phytotoxicity of volatile essential oils from intact and fallen leaves of Eucalyptus citriodora. Z Naturforsch 61: 465-471.
- Bryant BP, Mezine I. 1999. Alkylamides that produce tingling paresthesia activate tactile and thermal trigeminal neurons. Brain Res 842: 452-460. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0006-8993(99)01878-8
- Callan NW, Johnson DL, Westcott MP, Welty LE. 2007. Herb and oil composition of dill (Anethum graveolens L.): effects of crop maturity and plant density. Ind Crop Prod 25: 282-287. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2006.12.007
- Chang KM, Kim GH. 2008. Comparative analysis of volatile flavor compounds from Zanthoxylum piperitum A.P. DC. J Food Sci Nutr 13: 33-39. https://doi.org/10.3746/jfn.2008.13.1.033
- Chon SU, Heo BG, Park YS, Kim DK, Gorinstein S. 2009. Total phenolics level, antioxidant activities and cytotoxicity of young sprouts of some traditional Korean salad plants. Plant Foods Hum Nutr 64: 25-31. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11130-008-0092-x
- Chung MS. 2005. Volatile compounds of Zanthoxylum piperitum A.P. DC. Food Sci Biotechnol 14: 529-532.
- Epple G, Bryant BP, Mezine I, Lewis S. 2001. Zanthoxylum piperitum, an Asian spice, inhibits food intake in rats. J Chem Ecol 27: 1627-1640. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1010462309244
- Hatano T, Inada K, Ogawa TO, Ito H, Yoshida T. 2004. Aliphatic acid amides of the fruits of Zanthoxylum piperitum. Phytochemistry 65: 2599-2604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phytochem.2004.08.018
- Hur JM, Park JG, Yang KH, Park JC, Park JR, Chun SS, Choi JS, Choi JW. 2003. Effect of methanol extract of Zanthoxylum piperitum leaves and of its compound, protocatechuic acid, on hepatic drug metabolizing enzymes and lipid peroxidation in rats. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 67: 945-950. https://doi.org/10.1271/bbb.67.945
- Hwang ES, Kim GH. 2012. Safety evaluation of Zanthoxylum piperitum-derived essential oil by assessing micronucleus abnormalities, mutagenicity, and chromosomal aberration. Food Res Int 47: 267-271. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodres.2011.06.050
- Jang KH, Chang YH, Kim DD, Oh KB, Oh U, Shin J. 2008. New polyunsaturated fatty acid amides isolated from the seeds of Zanthoxylum piperitum. Arch Pham Res 31: 569-572. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12272-001-1194-5
- Jeong CH, Kwak JH, Kim JH, Choi GN, Kim DO, Heo HJ. 2011. Neuronal cell protective and antioxidant effects of phenolics obtained from Zanthoxylum piperitum leaf using in vitro model system. Food Chem 125: 417-422. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2010.09.022
- Jiang L, Kubota K. 2004. Differences in the volatile components and their odor characteristics of green and ripe fruits and dried pericarp of Japanese pepper (Zanthoxylum piperitum DC.). J Agric Food Chem 52: 4197-4203. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf030663a
- Kamatou GPP, Van Zyl RL, Van Vuuren SF, Figueiredo AC, Barroso JG, Pedro LG, Viljoen AM. 2008. Seasonal variation in essential oil composition, oil toxicity and the biological activity of solvent extracts of three South African Salvia species. S Afr J Bot 74: 230-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sajb.2007.08.002
- Kamsuk K, Choochote W, Chaithong U, Jitpakdi A, Tippawangkosol P, Riyong D, Pitasawat B. 2007. Effectiveness of Zanthoxylum piperitum-derived essential oil as an alternative repellent under laboratory and field applications. Parasitol Res 100: 339-345. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00436-006-0256-2
- Kashiwada Y, Ito C, Katagiri H, Mase I, Komatsu K, Namba T, Ikeshiro Y. 1997. Amides of the fruit of Zanthoxylum spp. Phytochemistry 44: 1125-1127. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0031-9422(96)00683-8
- Kim JH. 1997. Variation of concentration of terpenes in Chrysanthemum boreale. Korean J Ecol 20: 397-403.
- Kim JH, Jung DH, Park HK. 2006a. The composition of essential oil from Nepeta cataria and its effect on microorganism. J Ecol Field Biol 29: 381-387. https://doi.org/10.5141/JEFB.2006.29.4.381
- Kim H, Song MJ, Potter D. 2006b. Medicinal efficacy of plants utilized as temple food in traditional Korean Buddhism. J Ethnopharmacol 104: 32-46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jep.2005.08.041
- Lee SJ, Lim KT. 2008. Glycoprotein of Zanthoxylum piperitum DC has a hepatoprotective effect via anti-oxidative character in vivo and in vitro. Toxicol In Vitro 22: 376-385. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tiv.2007.10.002
Machmudah S, Izumi T, Sasaki M, Goto M. 2009. Extration of pungent components from Japanese pepper (Zanthoxylum piperitum DC.) using supercritical
$CO_2$. Sep Purif Technol 68: 159-164. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.seppur.2009.04.021
- Mediouni J, Haouel S, Bouaziz M, Khouja ML. 2012. Seasonal variations in chemical composition and fumigant activity of five Eucalyptus essential oils against three moth pests of stored dates in Tunisia. J Stored Prod Res 48: 61-67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jspr.2011.10.001
Miyazawa M, Wada T. 2000. Biotransformation of γ-terpinene and (-)-
$\beta$-phellandrene by the larvae of common cutworm (Spodoptera litura). J Agric Food Chem 48: 2893-2895. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf9900581
- Msaada K, Taarit MB, Hosni K, Hammami M, Marzouk B. 2009. Regional and maturational effects on essential oils yields and composition of coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) fruits. Sci Hortic 122: 116-124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2009.04.008
- Pfander HJ, Frohne D. 1987. Szechuan-Preffer. Die Früchete von Zanthoxylum piperitum DC. (Rutaceae). Dtsch Apoth Atg 127: 2381-2384.
- Rodilla JM, Tinoco MT, Morais JC, Gimenez C, Cabrera R, Martín-Benito D, Castillo L, Gonzalez-Coloma A. 2008. Laurus novocanariensis essential oil: seasonal variation and valorization. Biochem Syst Ecol 36: 167-176. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bse.2007.09.001
- Setzer WN, Noletto JA, Lawton RO, Haber WA. 2005. Leaf essential oil composition of five Zanthoxylum species from Monteverde, Costa Rica. Mol Divers 9: 3-13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11030-005-1298-6
- Silvestre AJD, Cavaleiro JAS, Delmond B, Filliatre C, Bourgeois G. 1997. Analysis of the variation of the essential oil composition of Eucalyptus globulus Labill. from Portugal using multivariate statistical analysis. Ind Crops Prod 6: 27-33. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0926-6690(96)00200-2
- Telci I, Bayram E, Avci B. 2006. Changes in yields, essential oil and linalool contents of Coriandrum sativum varieties (var. vulgare Alef. and var. microcarpum DC.) harvested at different development stages. Eur J Hortic Sci 71: 267-271.
- Telci I, Demirtas I, Sahin A. 2009. Variation in plant properties and essential oil composition of sweet fennel (Foeniculum vulgare Mill.) fruits during stages of maturity. Ind Crops Prod 30: 126-130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2009.02.010
- Wang H, Liu Y, Wei S, Yan Z. 2012. Comparative seasonal variation and chemical composition of essential oils from the leaves and stems of Schefflera heptaphylla using microwave-assisted and conventional hydrodistillation. Ind Crops Prod 36: 229-237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.indcrop.2011.09.011
- Yasuda I, Takeya K, Itokawa H. 1982. Distribution of unsaturated aliphatic acid amides in Japanese Zanthoxylum species. Phytochemistry 21: 1295-1298. https://doi.org/10.1016/0031-9422(82)80128-3
- Fruits in Korea vol.19, pp.8, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1080/0972060X.2016.1249415
Supported by : Kyungnam University