- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Development and Evaluation of Air Force Mechanic Parka to Enhance the Functions and Insulation
기능성과 보온성 향상을 위한 공군 정비파카 개발 및 평가
- Lee, Sung-Ji (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles, Seoul National University) ;
- Choi, Young-Lim (Dept. of Fashion Design/Art & Design Institute, Daegu University) ;
- Nam, Yun-Ja (Dept. of Clothing & Textiles/Research Institute of Human Ecology, Seoul National University)
- Received : 2011.03.25
- Accepted : 2011.09.29
- Published : 2012.04.30
This study was designed to develop air force mechanic parka, evaluate it, and ultimately provide functionally superior parka to the air force. The development process was 1) conducting a survey, 2) identifying problems and shortcomings of currently-supplied parkas, and 3) improving the design, pattern and materials. The newly-developed parkas were evaluated in terms of their ease of fit, clothing mobility, and insulation. Ease of fit was evaluated by subjects' sensory tests, and clothing mobility was by fitness-for-motion tests and range-of-motion tests using a Goniometer. Evaluation on insulation was conducted by thermal manikins. Findings of this study were as follows: 1. In the subjective evaluation on clothing mobility, new parkas were considered to have sufficient ease of fit while previous ones scored much lower, confirming the improvement of the new version. 2. Both subjective tests and ROM measurements on fitness for motion verified the superiority of the new parkas. 3. Insulation tests found that although insulation capability of newly-developed parkas was at a similar level to those of the previous ones, their insulation capability per unit weight was superior, demonstrating that new parkas were better at blocking heat conduction. When making changes in parka patterns and designs to enhance the mobility, it was necessary to maintain the insulation function. The new parkas developed by this study was verified to be superior to the previous ones in their insulation and clothing mobility.
Grant : 맞춤양산형 섬유제품 PLM 시스템 개발
Supported by : 지식경제부
- American Society for Testing and Materials. (1988). ASTM F1154-88 Standard practices for qualitatively evaluating the comfort, fit, function and integrity of chemical-protective suit ensembles. PA: Author
- Aschoff, J. (1970). Circadian rhythm of activity and body temperature. In Hardy, D., Gagge, A. P. & Stolwick, J. A. (Eds.), Physiological and behavioral temperature regulation (pp.905-919). Springfield, IL: C. Thomas.
- Choe, J. S., Choe, H. S., Lee, G. M. (2003). A Study on the Functional Development of Army's Combat Uniforms. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 53(5), 141-153.
- Huck, J. (1988). Protective clothing systems: A technique for evaluating restriction of wearer mobility. Applied Ergonomics, 19(3), 185-190. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-6870(88)90136-6
- International Organization for Standardization. (2007). ISO TR 11079 : Ergonomics of the thermal environment Determination and interpretation of cold stress when using required clothing insulation (IREQ) and local cooling effects. Geneva: Author.
- Jin, S. M., & Hwang, J. Y. (2006). A Study on the Camouflage Pattern for the Korean Arm forces Uniform. The bulletin of Korean Society of Basic Design & Art, 7(3), 511-522.
- Kim, K. H., Kim, Y. M., Kim, H. Y., Ahn, T. Y., Lee, S. A., Choi, K. H., Hong, K. H., Hwang, S. Y. (1990). A Study on the Functional Design Process and Performance Evaluation of Army's Training Wear. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 14(2), 104-116.
- Kim, Y. H. (2003). Comparison of Range-of-motion test methods for measuring Clothing Mobility. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 27(12), 1374-1380.
- Korean Agency for Technology and Standards. (2004). KS K 0050-Sizing Systems for male Adult's Garments. Seoul: Author.
- Kwon, S. H., & Ha, J. S. (2006). A Study on Modern Military Uniform Design. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 56(9), 143-156.
- Lee, K. J., Cho, C., Lee, S. J. (1999). A Study on the Actual Conditions of ROD Army BDU. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 45, 121-131.
- 'New Combat Uniform'. (2010, December 21). Newstown. Retrieved March 2, 2011, from http://www.newstown.co.kr
- Watkins, Susan M. (2003). Clothing (H. S. Choi, Trans.). Seoul: Ewha Womans University Press. (Original work published 1984)
- Survey on the Actual Wearing Conditions of Naval Duty Uniforms in Naval Vessels vol.17, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2015.17.4.646
- Satisfaction on Fitness and Motion Suitability of Korean male Military Winter Jacket vol.18, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5805/SFTI.2016.18.5.685
- Abuse of Empire style robe to thermal insulation and body discomfort vol.27, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1108/IJCST-01-2014-0006
- A Study on the Current State of Korean Military Winter Uniform Tops vol.66, pp.5, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7233/jksc.2016.66.5.066
- Design Requirements by Evaluating Comfort while Wearing Korean Naval Duty Uniforms for Summer and Winter vol.27, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.7856/kjcls.2016.27.3.419