- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Analysis of Wedding Behavior of Chinese Women in their 20's to 30's in Shanghai and Neighboring Cities
중국 상해 및 상해 인근도시에 거주하는 20-30대 여성의 웨딩행동 분석
- Kim, Chil-Soon (Dept. of Textile and Clothing Design, College of Art and Design, Kyung Hee University)
- 김칠순 (경희대학교 예술디자인대학 의류디자인학과)
- Received : 2012.04.23
- Accepted : 2012.04.26
- Published : 2012.04.30
Nowadays, global wedding dress companies are interested in the Chinese wedding market because of expectations in consumption patterns of the post 80's generation. Therefore, wedding behavior, selection criteria for wedding dresses, and favored image by segmented groups targeting 20's to 30's Chinese women were studied to help the Korean wedding dress industry to establish their business in China. The survey was conducted in Shanghai city and three neighboring cities-Wuxi, Zhengziang, and Hangzhou-, and the primary data were analyzed using the SPSS program. As results, Chinese women thought that the wedding ceremony should be elegant and dignified, and they wanted to choose their favorite style rather than a recommended style. The criteria of selection were classified into four factors. Overall image and well fitting with their face and body were the most important factors in the selection of wedding dress. The most favored image was unique/novel image. Several favored images for their wedding dress were significantly different by occasion (ceremony day and photo shoot day) and education level. People of higher education level preferred more luxurious and classic image during the ceremony, and a classic and gorgeous image on the photo shoot day. A white dress and a colored dress for weddings were favored more than the Chinese traditional dress on both occasions. There was also a significant difference between general consumers and the wedding business employees in the quantity of wanted wedding dress.
Supported by : 지식경제부
- Cha, J. Y. (2008). A Study on the design development of Chinese full dress-applying women's dress and its ornaments in Rococo period. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Choi, J. E. (2006). Characteristics of our wedding culture and customer's purchasing behaviors. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Express Time Enterprise Information (Beijing) Limited (2011). China's wedding dress industry research and future development trend of depth forecast report(2010-2015). Beijing: China.
- Global Industry Analysts, Inc. (2011, February 7). Global bridal market to reach US$56.5 Billion by 2015, according to a new report by Global Industry Analysts, Inc. Retrieved January 9, 2012, from http://www.prweb.com.
- Im, K.(2006). Korea and China Wedding Ceremony Comparison. Unpublished master's thesis, Busan University of Foreign Studies, Busan.
- Jing, M.(2011, August 15). In wedding website hopes to lure Chinese couples. China Daily. Retrieved December 4, 2011, from http://www.chinadaily.com.
- Kang, K. Y., Ahn, M. CH., & Choi, S. K. (2010). The Wedding Culture, Chinese People III. Seoul: The National Folk Museum of Korea.
- Kim, J. G. & Kim, S. S. (1993). A study on wedding costume of Korean Nationality in Yanbian China. The Costume Culture Association, 20, 191-201.
- Lee, Y. J. (2003). A Research on the change of wedding dress's color. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 11(5), 657-670.
- Lee, K. J.(2008). Eco Friendly Wedding Dress Design. Unpublished master's thesis, Kookmin University, Seoul.
- Min, S. E. (2011, April 22). Hallyu trend for Chinese wedding market. Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency. Retrieved December 11, 2011, from http://www.kotra.or.kr/
- O, J. H., & Lee, I. S. (2010). Analysis on the fashion style of Hallyu stars & design development-focused on generation born after 1980s Shanghai-. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 18(6), 1090-1111.
- Park, J., & Suh, M. (2006). A study of preference about wedding dress design according to body shape for adult women. The Research Journal of Costume Culture, 14(4), 625-634.
- Po, J. Y. (2011). Korea. A Study on Korea, China Traditional Ritual Culture Comparison(韓.中傳統通過儀禮文化比較硏究), Unpublished master's thesis, Busan University of Foreign Studies, Busan.
- Qian, S. (2011). On changes of the Chinese wedding dress-the qing dynasty in han nationality as the center-. Unpublished master's thesis, Tong-Myong University, Busan.
- Solomon, M. R. & Rabolt, N. J. (2004). Consumer Behavior in fashion. New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Wikipedia the free encyclopedia. (2012, January 21). Retrieved January 21, 2012, from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheongsam
- Wu, M., & Kim, J. S. (2011). A study on wedding dress based on the formative characteristics of the Qipao. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 11(1), 1-16.
- Zhang, N. (2011). An empirical study on Hanliu's effect on the awareness, preference, and loyalty of Korean apparel brands in China. Unpublished master's thesis, Soonchunhyang University, Asan.
- '2011 China's top ten wedding dress brands list'. (2011, April 5). China Forbes. Retrieved January 17, 2012, www.phb168.com/list45/218524.htm