- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Perceptions of Visual Merchandising in the Department Stores: The Employee versus Consumer Perspectives
백화점 브랜드매장의 비주얼 머천다이징 평가: 판매원 대 소비자 관점
- Park, Kyung-Ae (Dept. of Clothing and Fashion, Yeungnam University) ;
- Jun, Bo-Mi-Na (Dept. of Clothing and Fashion, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2011.08.08
- Accepted : 2011.08.21
- Published : 2012.04.30
This study examined and compared the two perspectives of consumers and employees on the perceptions toward visual merchandising (VMD) of fashion brands in a department store. Importance of VMD elements, roles of VMD, evaluations of VMD elements, and brand and store images were measured and compared. The two types of questionnaires were used to collect data from consumers and employees. A total of 327 consumer samples and 317 employee samples were analyzed. The results showed that there was no difference between the two groups in what VMD elements were the most important. While employees perceived of the role of VMD higher than consumers, consumers evaluated two VMD element factors higher than employees and showed higher store image. Such results were not different by brand types. The study implies that the higher VMD perceptions of consumers are desirable to manage VMD from the employees' perspective.
visual merchandising;VMD;employee and consumer;department store
- Ahn, G., Lee, J., & Min, K. (2005). The structural relationship of brand image, brand trust and brand loyalty. Advertising Research, 69, 115-137.
- Choi, M. (2009). The effects of VMD components on the attitudes toward fashion brands and the intention of revisit. Journal of the Korean Society of Costume, 59(7), 100-113.
- Davies, B., & Ward, P. (2005). Exploring the connections between visual merchandising and retail branding. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 33(7), 505-513. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550510605578
- Diamond, J., & Diamond, E. (2004). Contemporary visual merchandising and environmental design (3rd ed), New York: Prentice Hall.
- Ha, Y., & Lennon, S. J. (2010). Online visual merchandising cues and consumer pleasure and arousal: Purchasing versus browsing situation. Psychology & Marketing, 27(2), 141-165. https://doi.org/10.1002/mar.20324
- Jang, J. W. (2007). Effects of consumers' VMD recognition and composition element evaluation on the process of purchasing clothes. Unpublished mater's thesis, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Jeon, M., Oh, H., & Suh, Y. (2006). The impact of window information effect on consumers' willingness to visit a fashion store. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 30(9/10), 1423-1433.
- Jeon, J. O., & Park, H. (2005). A study on the development of fashion VMD cognition measurement instrument. Journal of Marketing Management Research, 10(2), 117-139.
- Jung, S. A. (2010). The effect of VMD in SPA store on product evaluation and purchase preference. Unpublished master's thesis, Duksung Women's University, Seoul.
- Kerfoot, S., Davies, B., & Ward, P. (2003). Visual merchandising and the creation of discernible retail brands. International Journal of Retail & Distribution Management, 31(3), 143-152. https://doi.org/10.1108/09590550310465521
- Kim, M. R. (2005). The effect on consumer behavior to purchase clothing through VMD components and consumer's attitude in fashion shop. Unpublished master's thesis, Chung-Ang University, Seoul.
- Kim, S. (2004). The visual environment factors of the store and the store types preferred by consumer traits. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(8), 1112-1120.
- Kim, H., & Lee, J. (2010). A study on visual merchandising perceptional factors of women's fashion brand in department stores. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 34(1), 27-39. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2010.34.1.27
- Ko, J., & Suh, Y. (2010). The effects of visual merchandising on solo shopping consumers' store satisfaction and revisiting intention. Journal of Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 12(4), 413-421. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2010.12.4.413
- Lee, J. S. (2009). The preferred factor on study of visual merchandising of department women's clothing brand. Unpublished dissertation, Korea University, Seoul.
- Lee, M. S. (2009). The effects of VMD components on consumers' store image and preference. Journal of Korean Living Science Association, 18(1), 247-257.
- Lee, J., Jun, B., & Park, K. (2009). Visual merchandising management of shop masters in fashion brands. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 33(1), 104-114. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2009.33.1.104
- Lee, S., & Lim, S. (2008). A study on the effects of VMD. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 16(5), 795-811.
- Lee, M., & Song, K. J. (2009). The effects of VMD consciousness on importance of VMD components and clothing purchasing behaviors of university students. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 33(5), 721-731. https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2009.33.5.721
- Park, H. H., & Jeon, J. O. (2004). The effect of VMD structural elements on fashion brand attitude. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 28(2), 224-234.
- Park, H., Jeon, J. O., & Kwak, W. (2007). The influence of perceived quality and VMD fitness of fashion brand on brand attitude and purchase intention, Journal of Marketing Management Research, 12(1), 55-70.
- Park, H. H., & Jeon, J. O. (2011). A study on visual merchandising effectiveness: Focused on the differences in effectiveness according to merchandise class. Journal of Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 13(2), 215-225. https://doi.org/10.5805/KSCI.2011.13.2.215
- Park, J., & Lee, E. (2005). Cognitive, emotional and behavioral responses on in-store shopping environment according to apparel shopping orientation. Journal of the Korean Society of Clothing and Textiles, 29(8), 1196-1206.
- Park, M., & Lee, S. (2008). A study on the influence of visual merchandising and brand recognition on perceived risk, brand image and brand loyalty, The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 16(5), 826-840.
- Pegler, M. M. (1995). Visual merchandising and display (3rd ed), New York: Fairchild.
- Ru, S. (2003). The effect of VMD by the department store on clothing purchase behavior. Unpublished master's thesis, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
- Shin, S., & Kim, H. (2002). A study on the VMD of female clothing store. The Research Journal of the Costume Culture, 10(6), 617-632.
- Effect of Visual Merchandising in Fast Fashion Retailing vol.40, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5850/JKSCT.2016.40.4.716