- Volume 14 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study of the Expressions of the Silhouette in the Fashion Illustrations
패션 일러스트레이션에 나타난 실루엣 표현 연구
- Choi, Yoo-Jin (Dept. of Clothing and Textiles, Kyungpook National University) ;
- Choi, Jung-Hwa (Center for Beautiful Ageing, Kyungpook National University)
- Received : 2011.09.27
- Accepted : 2012.02.28
- Published : 2012.04.30
This study analyzed silhouette expressions in the fashion illustrations by theory based on results of studying the characteristics of the forms and meanings of the silhouette expressions in art historically. For the actual considering this study collected and categorized fashion illustrations from 1990 to the present limitedly, and clarified the meaning of the silhouette expressions. Those expressions in fashion illustrations were categorized to the 5 items; black & white silhouette, color silhoutte, pattern silhouette, paper silhouette, line silhouette. Silhouette expressions of the fashion illustrations were categorized to 3 items: metaphorical fantasy, essential minimization, anonymous representation.
- Arnheim, R. (1981). Art and visual perception (Kim, C. I, trans.). Seoul: Hong Sung Sa(Original work published 1956).
- Borrelli, L. (2004a). Fashion illustration now. London: Thames & Hudson.
- Borrelli, L. (2004b). Fashion illustration next. San Francisco: Chronicle Books.
- Chang, Y. I. (2008). Inner consciousness in the silhouette animation - focusing on 'princes and princesses' by michel ocelot. Digital Contents and Culture Policy, 3, 87-99.
- Cho, W. Y. (2008). Study of modern people's neglect through silhouette image. Unpublished master's thesis. Hanman University, Daejon.
- Choi, J. H. (2009). The expression of fantastic body in fashion illustration. Journal of the Korean Society for Clothing Industry, 11(5), 867-878.
- Choi, K. S. (2003). Fantasy, Seoul: Yonsei University Press.
- DawBer, M. (2004a). Big book of fashion illustration. London: batsford.
- DawBer, M. (2004b). Imagemakers : cutting edge fashion illustration. London: Mitchell Beazley.
- Forgione, N. (1999). The shadow only: shadow and silhouette in late nineteenth-century paris. Art Bulletin, 81(3), 490-512. https://doi.org/10.2307/3051354
- Jin, J. K. (2005). Play, art and imagination. Seoul: Humanist.
- Kang, H. M. (2000). A Study of fashion illustration employing matisse paintings centered around simplicity of colors and shapes. Unpublished master's thesis, Dongduk Women's University, Seoul.
- Kang, H. M., & Kim, H. K. (2000). A study of fashion illustration centered around simplicity. Design Forum, 21(3), 137-160.
- Kim, B. M. (2009), Study on the artistic world of kara walker Unpublished master's thesis, Kyung Hee University, Seoul.
- Kim, H. Y. (2010). Study on human body expression through deformation. Unpublished master's thesis, Hongik University, Seoul.
- Kim. E. K., & Kim, O. K., & Han, J. Y. (2001). Modern fashion. Seoul: Hakmun Publishing.
- Klanten, R., & Ehmann, S. & Meyer, B. (2004). Wonderland. Berlin: Die Gestalten Verlag.
- Le Musees de la Ville de Paris[Paris City Museum](1995), Le dessin sous toutes ses coutures [Drawing of the all fashion styles]. Paris.
- Lee, J. Y. (2002). Expression of identity by the moderns through anonymous images. Unpublished master's thesis, Ewha Womans University, Seoul.
- Nicholas, D. (1994). Fashion illustration today. New York: Thames and Hudson.
- Robert, K., & Hendrik, H. (2005). Illusive: contemporary illustration and its context. Berlin: Die Gestalten.
- Robert, K., & Hendrik, H. (2008). Illusive 2: contemporary illustration and its context. Berlin: Die Gestalten.
- Rutherford, E. (2009). Silhouette: the art of the shadow. New York: Rizzoli.
- Schama, S. (2004). Un natutal beauty, gardian, art section, 16.
- Sung, K. S. (2010). Modernization of fashion illustration in the early 20th century. Journal of the Korean Society of Fashion Design, 10(2), 87-106.
- Walton, R & Cogriantry, J. (2008). The big book of illustration ideas: 2. New York: Collins Design.
- Yoon, H. R. (2009). Shadow play and silhouette animation film. Journal of the French Culture and Art, 28, 233-254.