- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Correlation between City's Built Environment and Residents' Health -A Case study of small and medium-sized cities in korea
지역주민들의 건강에 영향을 미치는 도시특성요소 분석 -한국의 중소도시를 대상으로
- Lee, Kyung-Hwan (Department of Civil & Environment Engineering, Kongju National University)
- 이경환 (국립 공주대학교 건설환경공학부 도시.교통전공)
- Received : 2012.04.18
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
The purpose of this study is to analyze city's built environment that have influence on residents' health in the 40 small and medium-sized cities. In the study, landuse, urban form and facility accessibility of cities and other socio-demographic variables were used as explanatory variables, and a statistical analysis was carried out by applying multi-level analysis. Analysis shows that a high level of population density lower the obesity, and a high level of landuse-mix have a positive effect on EQ-5D & hypertension. In terms of urban form and facility accessibility, residents show a high level of obesity in an environment where roads are closely connected and access to bus service is bad. Finally, as more access to open space have a positive effect on EQ-5D. Therefore, landuse-mix, access to public transportation and open space should be used for planning factors to make a health improvement plan in cities.
Small and medium-sized cities;Landuse;urban form;Facility accessibility;EQ-5D;obesity;Hypertension;Multi-level analysis
Supported by : 공주대학교
- EunJung Kim․Mingyu Kang, "Effects of built environment and individual characteristics on health condition", Journal of the Korean regional science association 27(3), 2011.
- Kyunghwan Lee․Kunhyuck Ahn, "The Correlation between Neighborhood Characteristics and Walking of Residents - A Case study of 40 Areas in Seoul", Journal of the korea planners association 42(6), 2007.
- Kyunghwan Lee․Kunhyuck Ahn, "Effects of Neighborhood Environment on Residents' Health - A Case Study of 40 Areas in Seoul", Journal of the korea planners association 43(3), 2008.
- Kyunghwan Lee․Seungnam Kim․Kunhyuck Ahn, "The Effects of compact city development on residents' walking time - The cases of 40 small and medium-sizedcities in korea", Journal of the urban institute of korea urban design 43(3), 2008.
- Sugie Lee, "Research trends and limitations of the integrated study of urban planning and public health for a healthy community", Seoul Research 11(2).
- Suk Min Lee "The effects of individual and community characteristics on the prevalence of Characteristics on the prevalence of chronic disease". Seoul national university, 2003.
- Hyun-gun Sung, "A Study on the impacts of residential neighborhood built environment on personal health indicators-Focusd on the planning elements of transit-oriented development", Journal of the korea planners association 46(3), 2011.
- KIHASA, "The third korea national health and nutrition examination survey". Ministry of health and welfare, 2005.
- Frank, L. D., et al., "Obesity relationships with community design, physical activity, and time spent in cars", American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 27(2), 2004.
- Frank, L. D., et al., "Many pathways from landuse to health : Associations between Neighborhood walkability and Active transportation, Body Mass Index, and Air quality", Journal of the American planning Association 72, 2006.
- Ewing R.. et al., "Relationship between urban sprawl and physical activity, obesity and morbidity", American journal of health promotion, 18(1), 2003.
- Xavier R. et al, Housing and Health in Europe : Preliminary results of a Pan-European study, American Journal of Public Health Vol 93 No.9, 2003.
- The Relationship between Obesity and Urban Environment in Seoul vol.14, pp.8, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph14080898
- Analysis of Spatial Distribution of Hypertension Prevalence and Its Related Factors based on the Model of Social Determinants of Health vol.29, pp.4, 2018, https://doi.org/10.12799/jkachn.2018.29.4.414