- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Urban Compactness Evaluation of Korean Metropolises
우리나라 광역시 도시압축성 평가에 관한 연구
- Lee, Il-Hee (Graduate School of Urban Studies, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Joo-Hyung (Graduate School of Urban Studies, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2012.06.01
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
It is necessary to study more integrated and objective method of urban compactness evaluation. Accordingly, the author examined precedent study and references related to the theory of compact city with the aim of deducing the urban planning factors from them. And then, these factors are objectified through the survey and interview with experts, and each of the factors is given a weighting by the AHP(Analytic Hierarchy Process) Method. Based on these evaluation model, the urban compactness of Korean Metropolitan Cities such as Busan, Incheon, Daegu, Gwangju, Daejeon, Ulsan, are analyzed their relative gap. The result of this study, as a foundational data for decision-making on the urban policy, could be useful for compact city planning such as regeneration of old town center etc.
Compact City;Urban Planning Factor
- Burton, E "The Compact City: Just or Just Compact? A Preliminary Analysis", Urban Studies, Vol.37, No.11, 2000.
- Chiu, R., "Social Equity in Housing in the Hong Kong Special", Administrative, Sustainable Development, Vol.10, pp.155-162. 2000.
- Neuman, M., "The Compact City Fallacy", Journal of Planning Education and Research, Vol.25, pp.11-26. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0739456X04270466
- Zhang, M., "The Role of Land Use in Travel Mode Choice: Evidence from Boston and Hong Kong", Journal of the American Planning Association, Vol.70, No.3, pp.344-360. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1080/01944360408976383
- Y.M. Kim, "We need the development of compact city", Urban Information Service, Korea Planners Association, pp.15-17. 2002.
- Y.H. Kim, et al, "A Study on the Characteristics of Physical Model of Sustainable Urban Form", Journal of the Korea Planners Association, Vol.39, No.2, pp.63-76. 2004.
- C.K. Kim, "A Study on the Compact as a Alternative Model of Sustainable Urban Development", Journal of the Korean Land, Vol.13, No.3, pp.95-107. 2002.
- W.S. Soe, et al, "A Study on the Relational Analysis for Features of Land - Use and Urban Compactness", Journal of the Korean Regional Development Association, Vol.22, No.3, pp.81-96. 2010.
- S.Y. Shin, "A Study on the Nearness of Residence and Work Place Commuting Patterns, focused on Capital Area", Journal of the Korea Planners Association, Vol.38, No.4, pp.73-87. 2003.
- H.G. Yoe , "A Study on the Urban Policy for Environmentally Sound and Sustainable Development", Journal of the Kyeong-Nam Development Institution, Vol.4, No.50, pp.5-14. 2001.
- C.K. Lee, et al , "A Study on the Weight Evaluation of the Urban Compactness in the Aspect of City Indicators", Journal of the Korean Regional Development Association, Vol.18, No.4, pp.25-45. 2006.
- J.Y. Lee, et al. "Maximizing Energy Efficiency and Accessibility of Public Transportation in Compact City", Journal of the Korea Planners Association, Vol.37, No.7, pp.241-254. 2002.
- S.S. Koen,, "A Study on the Characteristic of City Planning from the Viewpoint of First Generation New Town Development in the Capital Region of Korea", a doctoral thesis of Chungnam National University. 2005.
- L.Y. Kim, et al., "The Effect of Social Sustainability on the case-and-effect of Compact City", Annual Research Report of Housing Reserch Institute, Vol.8, No.3, pp.51-72. 2010.
- S.H. Kim, et al., " The Strategy of National Land Planning for Resource Saving, A Search for the alternative of National and Urban space Structure to save Transportation Energy", Seminar, KRIHS. 2003.
- H.C. Rhu, "A study on the Evaluation Model for Sustainability in Mixed-Use Development", University of Seoul, a Master's Thesis, 1998.
- G.T. Cho, et al., "The Decision Making by AHP for the Leader ahead of his time", Dong-Hyun Press, Seoul,. 2003.
- Y.S. Joo, "A Study on the Decision Support System Applied to AHP to reorganize of Unexecuted Urban Planning Facilities in Long-term", University of Seoul, a Master's Thesis, 2002.
- Williams, K., Burton, E. and Jenks, M., 'Achieving the Compact City through Intensification: An Acceptable Option?' In M. Jenks, E. Burtons and K. Williams(eds.), "The Compact City: A Sustainable Urban Form? ", London: E & FN Spon .1996.
- Y.D.Lee, et al, "a Measurement of Urban Compactness in Seoul Metropolitan Area", Journal of the Korean Geography Society, Vol.45, No.1, pp.81-96. 2011, pp.164-167.