- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Instruction-level Power Model for Asynchronous Processor
명령어 레벨의 비동기식 프로세서 소비 전력 모델
- Lee, Je-Hoon (Division of Electronics and Information Communication Eng., Samcheok Campus, Kangwon National University)
- 이제훈 (강원대학교 삼척캠퍼스 전자정보통신공학부)
- Received : 2012.04.09
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
This paper presents the new instruction-level power model for an asynchronous processor. Until now, the various power models for estimating the power dissipation of embedded processor in SoC are proposed. Since all of them are target to the synchronous processors, the accuracy is questionable when we apply those power models to the asynchronous processor in SoC. To solve this problem, we present new power model for an asynchronous processor by reflecting the behavioral features of an asynchronous circuit. The proposed power model is verified using an implementation of asynchronous processor, A8051. The simulation results of the proposed model is compared with the measurement result of gate-level synthesized A8051. The proposed power model shows the accuracy of 90.7% and the simulation time for estimation the power consumption was reduced to 1,900 times.
Power estimation;Power model;Asynchronous circuit;Instruction-level power model
Supported by : 한국연구재단
- C. Y. Huang, Y. F. Yin and C. J. Hsu, "SoC HW/SW verification and validation", Proc. of ASP-DAC 2011, pp. 297-300, 2011.
- M. H. Wu, W. C. Lee, C. Y. Chuang and R. S. Tsay, "Automatic generation of software TLM in multiple abstraction layers for efficient HW/SW co-simulation", Proc. of DATE 2010, pp. 1177-1182, 2010.
- S. B. Furber, D. A. Edwards and J. d. Garside, "AMULET3: a 100MIPS asynchronous embedded microprocessor", Proc. of ICCD 2000, pp. 329-334, September 2000.
- A. Bink and R. York, "ARM966HS: The first licensable, clockless 32-bit processor core", IEEE Micro, vol. 27, no. 2, pp. 58-68, March 2007.
- J. H. Lee, Y. Kim and K. R. Cho, "Design of a fast asynchronous embedded CISC microprocessor, A8051", IEICE Trans. on Electronics, vol. E87-C, no. 4, pp. 527-534, April 2004.
- J. H. Lee, Y. H. Kim and K. R. Cho, "A low-power implementation of asynchronous 8051 employing adaptive pipeline structure", IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems II - Express Briefs, vol. 55, no. 7, pp. 673-677, July 2008. https://doi.org/10.1109/TCSII.2008.921589
- V. Tiwari, S. Malik and A. Wolfe, "Power analysis of embedded system; A first step towards software power minimization," IEEE Trans. on VLSI, vol. 2, no. 4, pp. 437-445, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/92.335012
- Y. H. Park, S. Pasricha, F. Kurdahi and N. Dutt, "Methodology for multi-granularity embedded processor power model generation for an ESL design flow", Proc. CODES+ISSS 2008, pp. 255-260, 2008.
- D. Brooks, V. Tiwari, and M. Martonosi, "Wattch: A framework for architectural-level power analysis and optimizations", Proc. of ISCA, pp. 83-94, 2000.
- W. Ye, N. Vijaykrishnan, M. Kandemir and M. J. Irwin, "The design and use of SimplePower: A cycle-accurate energy estimation tool", Proc. of DAC 2000, pp. 340-345, 2000.
- C. H. Geotys and R. J. Gebotysu, "An empirical comparison of algorithmic, instruction, and architectural power prediction model for high-performance embedded DSP processors", Proc. ISLPED, pp. 121-123, Aug. 1998.