- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy on Pain and Function in Patients with Rotator Cuff Tendinitis
체외충격파치료가 회전근개 건염 환자의 통증 및 기능에 미치는 영향
- Seo, Hyung-Seok (Department of Physical Science, The Graduate School, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Sung, Youn-Bum (Department of Physical Science, The Graduate School, Korea National University of Transportation) ;
- Lee, Jung-Ho (Department of Rehabilitation Science, The Graduate School, Daegu University) ;
- Park, Young-Han (Department of Physical Therapy, Korea National University of Transportation)
- Received : 2012.05.29
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
The purpose of this study was to evaluate whether extracorporeal shock wave (ESWT) is an effective treatment for rotator cuff tendinitis. Study subjects included 32 patients (16 in the experimental group and 16 in the control group). The patients were evaluated by assessing pain and function using visual analog scale (VAS), pressure pain threshold (PPT), Constant and Murley Scale (CMS), and simple shoulder test (SST). The results of this study indicated that ESWT after the subjects in the experimental group experienced significant changes in pain, range of motion, muscle strength, and function when compared to the control group. These results indicate that ESWT could be considered as an effective and efficient treatment for rotator cuff tendinitis.
ESWT;Rotator cuff tendinitis;Pain;Function
- K. M. Burbank, J, H, Stevenson, G. R. Czarnecki, J. Dorfman., "Chronic shoulder pain: part I. Evaluation and diagnosis", American family physician, Vol. 77, No. 4, pp. 453-460, 2008.
- H. Miranda, L Punnett, E Viikari-Juntura et al., "Physical work and chronic shoulder disorder. Results of a prospective population-based study", Ann Rheum Dis. Vol. 67, No. 2, pp. 218-223, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1136/ard.2007.069419
- D. A. van der Windt, E. Thomas, D. P. Pope et al., "Occupational risk factors for shoulder pain: a systematic review", Occup Environ Med. Vol. 57, No. 7, pp. 433-442, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1136/oem.57.7.433
- Y. S. Hong., "Disorders of the shoulder region", The Korean Journal of Medicine, Vol. 63 No. 3 pp. 345-348, 2002.
- M. Razavi, G. B. Jansen., "Effects of acupuncture and placebo TENS in addition to exercise in treatment of rotator cuff tendinitis", Clin Rehabil, Vol. 18, No. 8, pp 872-878, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215504cr849oa
- T. P. Kane, P. Rogers, J. Hazelgrove et al. "Pulsed radiofrequency applied to the suprascapular nerve in painful cuff tear arthropathy"., J Shoulder Elbow Surg, Vol. 17, No. 3 pp. 436-440, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jse.2007.10.007
- C. Eyigor, S. Eyigor, O. KivilcimKorkmaz., "Are intra-articular corticosteroid injections better than conventional TENS in treatment of rotator cuff tendinitis in the short run? A randomized study", Eur J Phys Rehabil Med, Vol. 46, No. 3, pp. 315-324, 2010.
- R. Ainsworth , J. S. Lewis., "Exercise therapy for the conservative management of full thickness tears of the rotator cuff: a systematic review", Br J Sports Med, Vol. 41, No. 4, pp. 200-210, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2006.032524
- F. Desmeules, C. H. Cote, P. Fremont., "Therapeutic exercise and orthopedic manual therapy for impingement syndrome: a systematic review", Clin J Sport Med, Vol. 13, No. 3, pp. 176-182, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1097/00042752-200305000-00009
- H. J. Grant, Arthur A, D. R. Pichora., "Evaluation of interventions for rotator cuff pathology: a systematic review", J Hand Ther, Vol. 17, No.2, pp. 274-279, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1197/j.jht.2004.02.013
- S. Green, R. Buchbinder, S. Hetrick., "Physiotherapy interventions for shoulder pain", Cochrane Database Syst Rev, No. 2, pp. CD004258, 2003.
- G. R. Harris, J. l. Susman., "Managing musculoskeletal complaints with rehabilitation therapy: summary of the Philadelphia Panel evidence-based clinical practice guidelines on musculoskeletal rehabilitation interventions", J Fam Pract, Vol. 51, No. 12, pp. 1042-1046, 2002.
- J. Vas, C. Ortega, V. Olmo et al., "Single-point acupuncture and physiotherapy for the treatment of painful shoulder: a multicentre randomized controlled trial", Rheumatology(Oxford). Vol. 47, No. 6, pp. 887-893, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1093/rheumatology/ken040
- S. Green, R. Buchbinder, R. Glazier et al., "Systematic review of randomised controlled trials of interventions for painful shoulder: selection criteria, outcome assessment, and efficacy", BMJ. Vol. 316, No. 7128, pp. 354-360, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.316.7128.354
- G. Haupt., "Use of extracorporeal shock waves in the treatment of pseudarthrosis, tendinopathy and other orthopaedic diseases", J Urol Vol. 158, pp. 4-11, 1997. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005392-199707000-00003
- J. D. Rompe, C. Hopf, B. Nafe et al., "Low-energy extracorporeal shock wave therapy for painful heel: a prospective controlled single-blind study", Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. Vol. 115, No. 2, pp. 75-79, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00573445
- B. K. Auge, G. M. Preminger., "Update on shock wave lithotripsy technology", Curr Opin Urol, Vol. 12, No. 4, pp. 287-290, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00042307-200207000-00005
- G. M. Preminger , M. Loew., "Sonographic Piezoelectric Lithotripsy: More Bang for Your Buck", J Endourol. Vol. 3, No. 3, pp. 321, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1089/end.1989.3.321
- M. Loew, W. Daecke, D. Kusnierczak et al., "Shock-wave therapy is effective for chronic calcifying tendinitis of the shoulder", J Bone Joint Surg Br. Vol. 81, No. 5, pp. 863-867, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1302/0301-620X.81B5.9374
- G. Mouzopoulos, M. Stamatakos, D., "Mouzopoulos et al. Extracorporeal shock wave treatment for shoulder calcific tendonitis: a systematic review", Skeletal Radiol. Vol. 36, No. 9, pp. 803-811, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00256-007-0297-3
- N. J. Cho, J. S. Park, W. S. Cho., "Effect of Extensor Strength and Pain on Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy of the Lateral Epicondylitis", Journal of the Korean Academy of Clinical Electrophysiology. Vol. 6, No. 1, pp. 57-68, 2008.
- B. M. Huisstede, L. Gebremariam, R. van der Sande, E. M. Hay, B. W. Koes., "Evidence for effectiveness of Extracorporal Shock-Wave Therapy (ESWT) to treat calcific and non-calcific rotator cuff tendinosis--a systematic review", Man Ther, Vol. 16, No. 5, pp. 419-433, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.math.2011.02.005
- C. R. Constant , A. H. Murley., "A clinical method of functional assessment of the shoulder", Clin Orthop Relat Res. No. 214, pp. 160-164, 1987.
- S. B. Lippitt, D. T. Harryman, F. A. Matsen., "A practical tool for evaluation of function: the simple shoulder test. In: Matsen FA, Fu FH, Hawkins RJ, eds. The shoulder: a balance of mobility and stability", Rosemont, Illinios: The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, pp. 501-518, 1993.
- P. M. Ellwood., "Shattuck lecture--outcomes management. A technology of patient experience", N Engl J Med. Vol. 318, No. 23, pp. 1549-1556, 1988.
- M. Haake, I. R. Boddeker, T. Decker et al., "Side-effects of extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) in the treatment of tennis elbow", Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. Vol. 122, No. 4, pp. 222-228, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-001-0362-7
- K. Birnbaum, D. C .Wirtz, C. H. Siebert, K. D. Heller., "Use of extracorporeal shock-wave therapy (ESWT) in the treatment of non-unions: a review of the literature", Arch Orthop Trauma Surg, Vol. 122, No. 6, pp. 324-330, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00402-001-0365-4
- O. Bulut, M. Eroglu, H. Ozturk, G. Tezeren, S. Bulut, E. Koptagel., "Extracorporeal shock wave treatment for defective nonunion of theradius: a rabbit model", J Orthop Surg (Hong Kong). Vol. 14, No. 2 pp. 133-137, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/230949900601400205
- A. Gebauer, C. R. Schultz, C. E. Giangarra., "Chronic exercise-induced leg pain in an athlete successfully treated with sympathetic block", Am J Sports Med, Vol. 33, No. 10, pp. 1575-1578, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546505274957
- C. J. Wang, F. S. Wang, K. D. Yang et al., "Shock wave therapy induces neovascularization at the tendon-bone junction: a study in rabbits", J Orthop Res, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 984-989, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0736-0266(03)00104-9
- C. F. Hyer, R. Vancourt, A., "Block. Evaluation of ultrasound-guided extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT) in the treatment of chronic plantar fasciitis", J Foot Ankle Surg. Vol. 44, No. 2, pp. 137-143, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1053/j.jfas.2005.01.005
- K. T. Lee, J. S. Kim, K. O. Young, J. H. Choi., "Incidence of the Flexor Hallucis Longus Tendinitis in Ballet Dancers: Short-term Results of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy", J Kor Sports Med, Vol. 26, No. 1 pp. 99, 2008.
- J. P. Furia., "High-Energy Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy as a Treatment for Insertional Achilles Tendinopathy". Am J Sports Med May, Vol. 34 No. 5, pp. 733-740, 2006.
- C. J Wang, J Y. Ko, Y. S. Chan, , S. H Weng,, and Shan-Lin Hsu., "Extracorporeal Shockwave for Chronic Patellar Tendinopathy", Am J Sports Med, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 972-978, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0363546506298109
- S. Adnan, J, Emma, B. Ronald, C. Matt L, D. Stevea., "extracorporeal shockwave therapy for calcifying tendinitis of the rotator cuff associated with a significant improvement in the Constant-Murley score? A systematic review", Current Orthopaedic Practice, Vol. 20, No. 5, pp 566-571, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1097/BCO.0b013e3181a5e53d