- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A study of factors influencing precocious puberty
조기성조숙의 관련 인자 연구
- Kim, Me-Wha (Division of Public Health, Graduated School of Kungpook National University) ;
- Lee, Sung-Kook (Division of Preventive Medicine, School of Kungpook National University)
- Received : 2012.05.07
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
The purpose of this study was to evaluate the timing of precocious puberty and the factors inducing precocious puberty in elemental school girls students of low grades. The 1st, 2nd, and 3rd grade 253 elemental girls students from the Goryong province were randomly selected, G and D elemental school. sexual maturation rate was assessed physical examination by the parents. After obtaining an informed consent, a questionnaire was administered to the parents; sexual maturation rate was assessed by self physical examination, eating habits, lifestyle and home background were evaluated to determine the factors that induced precocious puberty. The data were statistically analyzed. We selected 253 girls: The total percentage of the precocious puberty was 26.1%. 7(7.8%) 6-year-old girls, 9 (13.2%) 7-year-old girls, 50 (52.6%) 8-year-old girls were in breast stage 2 and over. The main factors influencing precocious puberty were obesity scale, frequency of eating instant food, TV watching time, stress levels and broken family. A high rating on the obesity scale and high frequency of eating instant food, too much time in front of TV, high stress and broken family indicated advanced stage of puberty. This study show that prevalence ratio of the precocious puberty was 26.1%. The significant influencing factors in advanced puberty were obesity scale and frequency of instant food, TV watching time, high stress and broken family.
- Choi, Jung Myung. The associated factors of sexual maturation and characteristics of precocious puberty in Korean children. Kyunghee University. 2009.
- Mi Jung Park. Recent Advance in Pathogenesis and Treatment of Precocious Precocity. Korean Journal of Pediatrics pp. 18-725, 49(7) 2006 https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2006.49.1.18
- Health education forum. Menarche in Korea Women. 2009.
- Health Insurance Review & Assessment Service. Early detection of precocious puberty is vitally important. Press release 5.16, 2011.
- Carskadon MA. Patterns of sleep and sleepiness in adolescents. Pediatrician, 17, pp. 5-12, 1990.
- Wehkalampi, K, Silventoinen K, Kaporio J, Dick DM, Rose RJ, Pulkkinen L, et al. Genetic and environmental influence pubertal timing assessed by height growth. AM J Hum Biol, 20, pp. 417-23, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajhb.20748
- Jung Rim Yoon, Jung Hee Ahn, Kyoung Huh, Mi Jung Park. Body Composition in Girls with Precocious Puberty. Korean Journal of Obesity, 19(3), pp. :95-100, 2010.
- Lakshman,R., Forouhi, N., Luben, R., Bingham, S., Khaw, K., Wareham. N., & Ong, K. K. Association between age at menarche and risk of diabetes in adualts: Results from the EPIC-Norefolk cohort study. Diabetologia, 51, pp.781-786, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00125-008-0948-5
- Kampert, Whitternore, A.S.,& Paffenarger,R.S. Combined effects of childbearing, mensturual events, and body size on age-specific breast cancer risk. American Journal of Epidemiology, 128, pp. 962-979, 1998.
- Tanner J.M. Growth at adolescence, New York : Lippinott. 1962.
- Chisholm JS, Quinlivan JA, Peterson RW, Coall DA. Early stress predicts age at menarche and first birth, adult attachment, and expected life span. Hum Nat, 16, pp. 233-265, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12110-005-1009-0
- Rubin C, Maisonet M, Kieszak S, Monteilh C, Holmes A, Flanders D, et al. Timing of maturation and predictors of menarche in girls enrolled in a contemporary British cohort. Paediatr Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol, 23, pp. 492-504, 2009. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-3016.2009.01055.x
- Carehab FF, Lim ME, Lu R. Correction of the sterility defect in homozgous obese female mice by treatment with the human recombinant leptin. Nat Genet., 12(3), pp. :318-320, 1996. https://doi.org/10.1038/ng0396-318
- Parent AS, Teilmann G, Juul A, Skakkebaek NE, Toppari J,Bourguignon Jp. The timing of normal puberty and the age limits of sexual precocity : variations around the world the world, secular trends, and changes after immigration. Endocr Rev.,24, pp. :668-93, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1210/er.2002-0019
- Mun-Jung Choi. The influencing factors on the age of menarche in korean population. Graduate School of Public Health Korea University. 2011.
- Partsch CJ, Sippell WG. Pathogenesis and epidemiology of precocious puberty. Effects of exogenous oestrogens. Hum Reprod Update, 7, pp. 292-302, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/7.3.292
- Gonzalez, E.R. For puberty that comes too soon, new treatment highly effective. J. Am. Med. Assoc., 248, pp. 1149-1152, 1982. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1982.03330100003001
- Sun S, Schubert CM, Chumlea WC et al. National estimates of the timing of sexual maturati on and racial differences among US children. Pediatrics, 110, pp. :911-919, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.110.5.911
- Chumlea WC, Shubert CM, Roche AF et al. Age at menarche and racial comparisons in US girls. Pediatrics, 111, pp. 110-113, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.111.1.110
- Anersodn SE, Must A. Interpreting the contin nued decline in the average age at menarche : result from two nationally representative survey of US girls student 10years apart. J Pediatr., 147, pp. 753-760, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2005.07.016
- Yong Jun Park, M.D., Chang Min Moon. M.D. and Hwang Jae Yoo, M.D. A study of factors influencing advanced puberty. Korean Journal of pediatrics, 53(2), pp. 146-15, 2010. https://doi.org/10.3345/kjp.2010.53.2.146
- JC Shin, C Lee, J Moon, MJ Oh, T Kim, BS Koo, MH Hong, YJ Park. Menarche in Korean Adolescent Girls. Korean Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 39(5), pp. 865-876, 1996.
- Blank HM, Marcus M, Tolbert PE et al. Age at menarche and Tanner stage in girls exposed in utero and postnatally to poly brominated biphenyl. Epidemiology,11, pp. 641-647, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1097/00001648-200011000-00005
- James S Chisholm, Julie A Quinlivan, Rodney W Petersen, David A Coall. Early stress predicts age at menarche and first birth, adult attachment, and expected lifespan. Springer New York, 16(3), pp. 233-265, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12110-005-1009-0
- Lim, Jung Sub. Changes and Their Correlations of Body Compositions and Serum Leptin Concentrations according to the Healthy Children and Adolescents. Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea. 2002.
- Car JF, Sinha MK, Kolaczynski JW, Zhang PL, Considine RV. Leptin: the tale of an obesity gene. Diabetes, 45(11), pp. 1455-62, 1996. https://doi.org/10.2337/diab.45.11.1455
- C.J.Partsch and W.G.Sippell. Pathogenesis and epidemiology of precocious puberty. Human Rep., 7(3), pp. 292-301, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/7.3.292
- Murata K. Araki S. Menarche and sleep among Japanese schoolgirls: an epodemiological approach to onset of menarche. Tohoku Exp Med., 1, pp. 21, 1993.
- Surbey MK. Family composition, stress and human menarche. In TE Zieger and FB Bercovitch(eds) Socioendocrinology of primate reproduction. New York;Willey-Liss, 11, 1990.
- Baek Un-Hyo. Analysis of the Estimate of Physical Growth Curve, Menstrual Disorder and Bone Density According to the Period of Menarche of Athletes and Non-Athletes. Changwon National University. 2008.
- Zhdanova I.V., Wurtman R.J., Regan M.M., Taylor J.A., Shi J.P., Leclair O.U. Melationin treatment for age-relate insomnia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab., 86, pp. 4727-4730, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.86.10.4727