- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Effect of Sling Lmubar Stabilization Exercise Program on the Balance of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Patients
슬링 요부안정화 운동프로그램이 청소년기 특발성 척추측만증 환자의 균형에 미치는 영향
- Bae, Young-Hyeon (Department of Physical and Rehabilitation Medicine, Samsung Medical Center) ;
- Park, Sun-Hee (Department of Physical Therapy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Lee, Hye-Lim (Department of Physical Therapy, Sahmyook University) ;
- Lee, Suk-Min (Department of Physical Therapy, Sahmyook University)
- Received : 2012.03.13
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
The purpose of this study lies in examining how sling lumbar stabilization exercise affects static standing balance of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients. The subjects were forty patients who were diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis. They were randomly assigned either to a experimental group (n=20) that received sling lmubar stabilization exercise program or to a control group (n=20) that received only education. Data were obtained for each patient from total sway path and sway velocity in standing on both feet with eyes closed and standing on both feet with eyes open were measured, using balance performance monitor. All variables were measured at pre- and post-exercise. There were significantly differences between the both groups for all variables at post-exercise (p<.05). The experimental group showed a significantly decreases in all variables at pre- and post-exercise (p<.05). But the control group showed a no significantly differences. These results revealed that sling lumbar stabilization exercise improved static standing balance, by reducing COP(center of pressure) sway path and sway velocity of idiopathic scoliosis patients, and it is expected that sling lumbar stabilization exercise will be used as balance enhancement exercise intervention for the treatment of adolescent idiopathic scoliosis patients.
Idiopathic scoliosis;Sling lumbar stabilization exercise;Static standing balance
- W. J. Kane, "Scoliosis prevalence: A call for a statement of terms", Clin Orthop Relat Res, 126, pp.43-46, 1977.
- M. S. Park, C. S. Lee, Y. T. Kim, S. H. Ko, J. Eo, S. D. Cho, "Idiopathic Scoliosis in the Eleven Years Old: Prevalence Study", J Korean Orthop Assoc, 41(2), pp.236-267, 2006.
- S. W. Suh, S. H. Lee, C. Y. Hur, J. C. Yoo, C. S. Kang, J. H. Wang, "Idiopathic Scoliosis in Korean Middle School Students: Prevalence Study", J Korean Orthop Assoc, 36(1), pp.33-37, 2001.
- J. E. Lonstein, "Scoliosis: Surgical versus nonsurgical treatment", Clin Orthop Relat Res, 443, pp.248-259, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.blo.0000198725.54891.73
- D. M. Ford, K. M. Bagnall, K. D. McFadden, B. J. Greenhill, V. J. Raso, "Paraspinal muscle imbalance in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis", Spine, 9(4), pp.373-376, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198405000-00008
- D. M. Ford, K. M. Bagnall, C. A. Clements, K. D. McFadden, "Muscle spindles in the paraspinal musculature of patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis", Spine, 13, pp.461-465, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198805000-00004
- T. V. Dao, H. Labelle, R. Le Blanc, "Intra-observer variability of measurement of posture with three-dimensional digitization", Ann Chir, 51(8), pp.848-853, 1997.
- M. Yekukiel, G. C. Robin, M. D. Frcs, R. Yaron, "Proprioceptive function in children with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis", Spine. 6(6). pp.560-566, 1981. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-198111000-00006
- P. Q. Chen, J. L. Wing, Y. H. Tsuang, T. L. Liao, P. L. Huang, Y. S. Hang, "The postural stability control and gait pattern of idiopathic scoliosis adolescent", Clin Biomech, 1, pp.52-58, 1998.
- X. Guo, W. W. Chau, C. W. Y. Hui-Chan, C. S. K. Cheung, W. W. N. Tsang, J. C. Y. Cheng, "Balance control in adolescents with idiopathic scoliosis and disturbed somatosensory function", Spine, 31(14), pp.437-440, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.brs.0000222048.47010.bf
- M. L. Nault, P. Allard, S. Hinse, O. Caron, H. Lavelle, H. Sudeghi, "Relations between standing stability and body posture parameters in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis", Spine, 27(17), pp.1911-1917, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1097/00007632-200209010-00018
- S. S. Shine, C. H. Song, "The Effect of Lumbar Stabilization Exercise on the Static Balance of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis", J Kor Spotrs Med, 25(2), pp.165-173, 2007.
- C. A. Richardson, G. A. Jull, P. W. Hodges, J. A. Hides, "Therapeutic exercise for spinal segmental stabilization in low back pain", Churchill Livingston, 145－164, 1999.
- C. A. Richardson, "Therapeutic exercise for lumbopelvic stabilization", 2ed, London, Churchill Livingston, 2004.
- L. I. Oddsson, "Control of voluntary trunk movements in man: Mechanisms for postural equilibrium during standing", Acta Physiol Scand Suppl, 595, pp.1-60, 1990.
- J. D.Willson, C. P. Dougherty, M. L. Ireland, I. M. Davis, "Core stability and its relationship to lower extremity function and injury", Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, 13(5), pp.316-325, 2005. https://doi.org/10.5435/00124635-200509000-00005
- S. Y. Kim, J. H. Kwon, "Lumbar stabilization exercises using the sling system" Korean J Orthop Manu Ther, 7(2), pp.23-39, 2001.
- V. Akuthota, S. F. Nadler, "Core strengthening", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 85(3), pp.86-92, 2004.
- W. T. Kong, Y. U. Jeong, S. S. Bae, "The Effects of Sacroiliac Joint Mobilization and Lumbopelvic Stabilizing Exercises on the Equilibrium Ability", J Kor Soc Phys Ther, 17(3), pp.285－295, 2005.
- S. E. Lee, "The effect of lumbar stabilization exercise on balance in older adults", Master Degree, Dea-gu university, 2006.
- F. P. Carpes, F. B. Reinehr, C. B. Mota, "Effects of a program for trunk strength and stability on pain, low back and pelvis kinematics, and body balance, A pilot study", Journal of Bodywork and Movement Therapies, doi: 10.1016 /j.jbmt.2007.05. 001, 2007.
- S. C. Webber, D. J. Kriellaars, "The effects of stabilization instructionon on lumbar acceleration", Clin Biomech, 19(8), pp.777-783, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2004.05.014
- S. R. Wiener-Vacher, K. Mazda, "Asymmetric otolith vestibulo-ocularresponses in children with idiopathic scoliosis", J Pediatr, 132(6), pp.1028-1032, 1998. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0022-3476(98)70403-2
- E. Carmeli, B. C. Shmuel, L. Meir, "Five clinical tests to assess balance following ball exercise and treadmill training in adult persons with intellectual disability", J Gerontol Med Sci, 58, pp.767-772, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1093/gerona/58.8.M767
- H. C. Diner, J. Dichgans, B. Guschlbaurer, H. Mau, "The significance of proprioception on postural stabilization as assessed by ischemia", Brain Res, 296, pp.103-109, 1998.
- P. A. Goldie, O. M. Evans, T. M. Bach, "Force platform measures for evaluating postural control: Reliability and validity", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, 70, pp.510-517, 1992.
- D. S. Nichols, T. M. Glem, K. J. Hutchinson, "Changes in the mean center of balance during balance testing in young adults", Phys Ther, 75(8), pp.699-706, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1093/ptj/75.8.699
- P. K. Richardson, S. W. Atvoater, T. K. Crowe, J. C. Deitz, "Performance of preschoolers on the pediatric clinical test of sensory interaction for balance", Am Occup Ther, 46(9), pp.793-799, 1992. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.46.9.793
- M. Magnusson, H. Enborn, R. Johansson, I. Pyykko, "Significance of pressor input from the human feet in anterior－posterior postural control. The effect of hypothermia on vibration－induced bodysway", Acta Otolary ngol, 110(34), pp.2-88, 1990.
- W. M. Paulus, A. Stramble, T. Brandt, "Visual stabilization of posture: Physiological stimulus characteristics and clinical aspects", Brain, 107, pp.1143-1163, 1984. https://doi.org/10.1093/brain/107.4.1143
- S. S. Shine, Y. K. Woo, "Characteristics of static balance in the patients with adolescent idiopathic scoliosis", J PTK, 13(4), pp.47-55, 2006.