- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The relationship between the patient's health beliefs and the implementation of functional movement rehabilitation and ability to perform ADL in stroke patients
뇌졸중 환자의 건강신념과 운동기능 재활 이행 및 일상생활동작 행능력과의 상관성
- Mun, Byeong-Mu (Department of Rehabilitation Science, Graduate School, Daegu University) ;
- Lee, Yeon-Seop (Department of Physical Therapy, Cheongam College) ;
- Lee, Byung-Hoon (Group of Industry-Academy Cooperation, Chunnam-Techno University)
- Received : 2012.04.05
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
In this study, we have tried to identify the relationship between the patient's health belief and the implementation of functional movement rehabilitation and ability to perform ADL in stroke patient, and have done this study to use this as evidence in treating stroke patients in clinical trials by providing a basis data of stroke patients' successful rehabilitation program. We targeted stroke patients who were diagnosed with stroke and are hospitalized in D hospital in J City, Jeollabuk-do, South Korea. More over, we distributed a total of 150 questionnaires to patients who understand the purpose of the research and agreed to participate. We were able to collect 132questionnaires at the end. However, 11 had insufficient data so we only analyzed and evaluated 121 of the said questionnaires. We did frequency analysis to understand the general characteristics by using SPSS for Windows(ver.12.0) program and we used Pearson's Correlation Coefficient and regression analysis to know the relationship between the patient's health beliefs and the implementation of rehabilitation and ability to perform ADL in stroke patients. The results of this study shows that patients with higher perceived sensitivity, perceived benefit and perceived severity equates to an implementation of the rehabilitation better, however patients with a lower perceived disability equates an implementation of functional movement rehabilitation better than those with a higher perceived disability.
Stroke;Health belief;Functional movement Rehabilitation;ADL
- Korea Statistics of mortality 2009.
- J. H. Rha, "Stroke Epidemiology 2007 Update," Korean Journal of Stroke, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 1-4, 2008.
- H. J. Bae, "Epidemiology of Stroke: 2006 Update", Korean Journal of Stroke, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 5-10, 2007.
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI), "National Institutes of Health, Morbidity and mortality: 2009 chart book on cardiovascular", lung, and blood diseases, Retrieved May 15, from National Institutes of Health: Available at : http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/ resources/docs/2009_Chart Book.pdf, 2010.
- Ministry for Health, Welfare and Family Affairs , "Major chronic diseases management business guide", 2008.
- H. C. Dijkerman, M. Ietswaart, M. Johnston, R. S. Macwalter, "Does motor imagery training improve hand function in chronic stroke patients", A pilot study. Clin Rehabil. Vol.18, No.5, pp. 538-549. 2004. https://doi.org/10.1191/0269215504cr769oa
- C. A. Trombly, M. V. Radomski, C. Trexel, S. E. Burnet-Smith, "Occupational therapy and achievement of self-identified goals by adults with acquired brain injury: phase II", Am J Occup Ther. Vol.56, No.5, pp. 489-498, 2002. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.56.5.489
- I. M. Rosenstock, "Historical origins of the health belief model. in Becker, M.H. The Health Belief Model and Personal Health Behavior", New Jersey: charles B. Slack, Inc., pp. 1-8, 1974.
- S. N. Walker, K. R. Secrist, N. J. Pender, "The Health promoting Lifestyle profile: Development and Psychometric Characteristics", Nursing Research, Vol.36, pp. 76-81, 1987.
- M. Y. Han, C. W. Chung, "Breast cancer Screening Behaviors in Working Women", Journal of Korean Academy of Womens Health Nursing, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 363-370, 2006.
- B. Y. Chun, S. Kam, Y. J. Lee , S. W. Lee, K. E. Lee, Y. S. Lee, B. K. Kim, "Therapeutic compliance for calcium supplements and Its related factors in rural osteoporotic Women", Kor. J. Rural. Med., Vol.26, pp.111-132, 2001.
- J. Nexoe, J. Kragstrup, J. & Sogaard, "Decision on influenza vaccination among the elderly: A Questionnaire study based on the Health Belief Model and the Multidimensional Locus of Control theory", Scandinavian Journal of Primary Health Care, Vol.17, pp. 105-110, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1080/028134399750002737
- Y. W. Lee, H. S. Kim, E. Y.Cho, "The Influencing factors on health behavior of patients with coronary artery disease", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.32, No.1, pp. 40-49, 2002. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2002.32.1.40
- Y. H. Byun, K. S. Choi, "A Study On Health Beliefs And Range Of Motion Exercise Of Impaired Physical Mobility Patients In Lower Extremity", The Chung-Ang Journal of Nursing, Vol.6, pp. 55-60, 2002.
- S. S. Park, J. H. Sun, "A Study on the Perception and needs of Prevention Program for musculoskeletal disease of office Workers Based on the health belief model", Korean Journal of Occupational Health Nursing, Vol.15, No.1, pp. 50-57, 2006.
- J. H. Park, Y. C. Kwon, "Standardization of Korean Version of the Mini-Mental State Examination(MMSE-K) for use in the elderly. Part II. Diagnostic Validity", Journal of the Korean Neuropsychiatric Association, Vol.28, pp. 587-603, 1989.
- M. F. Folstein, S. E. Folstein, P. R. McHugh, "Mini Mental State: a practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician", Journal of Psychiatric Research, Vol.12, pp. 189-198, 1975. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-3956(75)90026-6
- S. Shah, V. Frank, C. Betty, "Improving the sensitivity of the Barthel Index for stroke rehabilitation", Journal of clinical Epidemiology, Vol.42, pp. 703-709, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1016/0895-4356(89)90065-6
- J. S. Park, C. J. Park, Y. S. Kwon, "The Effect of health education on the performance of health promoting behavior in college students", Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, Vol.26, pp. 359-371, 1996.
- D. U. Jette, R. L. Warren, C. Wirtalla, "Rehabilitation on skilled using facilities: Effect of nursing staff level and therapy intensity on outcome", Am J Phys Med rehabil, Vol.83, pp. 704-712, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.PHM.0000137312.06545.D0
- C. C. Chen, A. W. Heineman, C. V. Granger, "Function gain and therapy intensity during subacute rehabilitation: A Study of 20 Facilities", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.83, pp. 1514-1523, 2002. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2002.35107
- M. V. Johnston, K. D. Wood, R. Fiedler, "Characteristics of effective and efficient rehabilitation programs", Arch Phys Med Rehabil, Vol.84, pp. 410-418, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1053/apmr.2003.50009
- G. Kwakkel, R. Van Peppen, R. C. Wagenaar, S. W. Dauphinee, C. Richards, A. Ashburn, K. Miller, N. Lincoln, C. Partridge, I. Wellwood, "Effects of augmented exercise therapy time after stroke. A meta-analysis", Stroke, Vol.35, pp. 2529-2536, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000143153.76460.7d
- L. A. Vearrier, J. Langan, A. Shumway-Cook, M. Woollacott, "An intensive massed practice approach to retraining balance post-stroke", Gait posture, Vol.22, pp. 154-163, 2005. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2004.09.001
- J. G. Choi, Y. J. Kim, M. S. Jin, Y. J. Lee, J. H. Kim, E. H. Lee, J. G. Jung, "Effects of combined exercise on ambulation and balance in stroke patients", Exercise science : official journal of the Korea Exercise Science Academy, Vol.17, pp. 259-268, 2008.
- A. Pollock, G. Baer, P. Langhorne, V. Pomeroy, "Physiotherapy treatment approaches for the recovery of postural control and lower limb function following stroke: a systematic review", Clin Rehabil, Vol.21, pp. 395-410, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1177/0269215507073438
- E. N. Lee, "The effect of the health belief and efficacy expectation promoting program on osteoporosis preventive health behavior in women with rheumatoid arthritis", Journal of muscle and joint health, Vol.5, pp. 174-190, 1998.
- S. O. Kim, "The Effect of Specialized Education on compliance with Health Beliefs and Health Behavior for preventive of Viral Hepatitis" A collection of learned papers College of Nursing, Suncheon, Vol.14, pp. 37-67, 1990.
- The Impacts of Cognitive Function, Disease Severity, and Disability on Ability to Perform Activities of Daily Living after Stroke vol.16, pp.2, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7587/kjrehn.2013.90