- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
VHI, V-RQOL, and vocal characteristics of teacher and singer
교사 및 성악가의 VHI, V-RQOL, 음향학적 특성 비교
- Hong, Ju-Hye (Department of Speech & Langugage Pathology, Luther University) ;
- Hwang, Young-Jin (Department of Speech & Langugage Pathology, Luther University)
- Received : 2012.04.30
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
The purpose of this study was to investigate VHI, V-RQOL, and vocal characteristics of a teacher and singer. 56 subjects were participated in this study (20 subjects are a teacher with vocal nodule, 20 subjects are a singer with vocal nodule, and 16 subjects are normal speakers). All subjects completed the VHI, V-RQOL, and vocal characteristics were measured using CSL 4500(Kay Pentax. USA). 21 subjects completed the VHI, V-RQOL, and vocal evaluation using CSL 4500 twice to assess test-retest reliability. A statistical analysis was performed using the Statistical Package for Social Sciences 18.0 (SPSS Inc, Chicago, IL). The VHI and V-RQOL showed that the teacher and singer group were significantly higher than those of the control group in functional, physical and emotional aspects(p<0.05). the acoustic analysis using CSL 4500 showed the teacher and singer group were significantly higher than those of the the control group in fundamental frequency related variables, fundamental perturbation related variables, amplitude perturbation related variables, noise related variable, and tremor related variables(p<0.05). Conclusionally, the teacher and singer group recognized their voice problems as a serious physico-functional aspects.
Professtional user;VHI;V-RQOL;Acoustic analysis;MDVP
- J. M. Wingate, W. S. Brown, R. Shrivastav, P. Davenport, & C. M. Sapienza, "Treatment Outcomes for Professional Voice Users". Journal of voice, Vol. 21, pp. 433-449, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2006.01.001
- N. Roy, & D. M. Bless, "Personality Traits and Psychological Factors in Voice Pathology: A Foundation for Future Research". Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Vol. 43, pp. 737-748, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1044/jslhr.4303.737
- J. M. Kim, H. W. Park, S. W. Lee, H. S. Park, S. Y. Kim, S. J. Yoo, S. Y. Nam, Voice analysis of chronic & daily voice burdern in professionals, The Journal of the Korean society of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, Vol. 12(1), pp. 17-21, 2001.
- Y. K. Song, S. M. Jin, H. S. Shim, K. H. Kwon, K. C. Lee, Y. B. Lee, The effect of voice disorders on quality of life in the Korean, The Journal of the Korean society of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, Vol.11(1) pp. 51-63, 2000.
- S. M. Jin, S. O. Park, J. W. Lee, K. C. Lee, Y. B, Lee, The Journal of the Korean society of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, Vol.9(1), pp53-58, 1998.
- K. A. Kim, Voice analysis before and after swallowing a raw egg in professional voice users, Graduate school of Public Health Kosin University; Pusan, 2007.
- S. Sapir, J. Atias, & A. Shahar, "Symptoms of vocal attrition in woman army instructors and new recruits". Laryngoscope, vol, 100, pp. 991-994, 1990.
- A. R. Lee, A study of the application of the Korean singing voice handicap index for vocalists, The graduate school, Ewha Womans University, 2008.
- J. O. Kim, H. S. Choi, Comparison of clinician's perceptual evaluations and patients'subjective evaluations of voice disorders, Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, Vol. 14(2), pp. 223-235, 2009.
- J. O. Kim, S. E. Lim, S. Y. Park, S. H. Choi, J. N. Choi, H. S. Choi, Validity and Reliability of Korean-Version of Voice Handicap Index and Voice-Related Quality of Life, Speech Science, Vol. 14(3), pp.111-125.
- R. L. Zraick, B. Y. Risner, L. Smith-Olinde B. A. Gregg, F. L. Johnson & E. K. McWeeny, "Patient Versus Partner Perception of Voice Handicap". Journal of voice, Vol. 21, pp 485-494. 2007. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2006.06.006
- D. Y. Choi, S. M. Choi, G. C. Lim, S. Y. Nam, Usefulness of voice handicap index in patients with hoarseness, Korean Journal of Otorhinolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery, Vol. 45, pp. 706-710, 2002.
- S. A. Lee, H. J. Choi, B. Kim, H. J. Lee, J. G. Lee, E. C. Nam, Vocie handicap index and vocal characteristics of teachers, Journal of Otorhinolaryngology -Head and Neck Surgery, Vol.55, pp. 101-106, 2012. https://doi.org/10.3342/kjorl-hns.2012.55.2.101
- J. U. Kim, S. E. Lim, S. Y. Park, S. H. Choi, J. N. Choi, H. S. Choi, "Version of Voice Handicap Index and Voice-related quality of life of the validity and reliability." Speech sciences, Vol. 14, pp. 111-125, 2007.
- C. A. Rosen, & T. Murry, "Voice handicap index in singers". Journal of voice, Vol. 14, pp.370-377, 2000. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(00)80082-X
- D. Norman, N. D. Hogikyan, & G. Sethuraman, "Validation of an instrument to measure voice-related quality of life (VRQOL)". Journal of voice, Vol. 13. pp. 557-569, 1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0892-1997(99)80010-1
- L. Mathieson, Greene & Mathieson's, The Voice and Its Disorders (6th edition), London: Whurr, 2001.
- J. B. Marks, A Comparative study of voice problems among teachers and civil service workers. Minneapolis : University of Minnesota, 1985.
- V. Lejska, Occupational voice disorders in teacher. Pracovini Lekarstvi, 19(3), 110-121. 1967.
- S. G. Wang, M. J. Baek, B. G. Yang, C. W. Jo, H. M. Park, S. B. Kweon, T. S. Kim, H. S. Hong, Acoustic parameters for the early detection and differential diagnosis of pathologic voice, Journal of Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 42권, pp.1561-1567, 1999.
- V. Wolfe, J. Fitch, R. Cornell, "Acoustic prediction of severity in commonly occurring voice problems". Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, Vol. 38, pp.273-279, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1044/jshr.3802.273
- K. Omori, D. H. Slavit, C. Matos, H. Kojima, A. Kacher, & S. M. Blaugrund, "Vocal fold atrophy: Quantitative glottic measurement and vocal function". Annals of Otology, Rhinology and in Laryngology, Vol.106, pp.554-551, 1997.
- M. Hirano, S. Hidi, & T. Yoshida, "Aocustic analysis of pathological voice some results of clinical application". Acta Oto-laryngologica, Vol. 105, pp.432-43. 1988. https://doi.org/10.3109/00016488809119497
- Y. K. Song, H. S. Shim, Treatment efficacy of group vocal hygiene education for middle school teachers: Acoustic analysis of voice and self-evaluation of vocal fatique before and after the education, Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, Vol. 4, pp.15-36, 1999.
- J. N. Choi, H. H. Kim, C. M. Nam, H. S. Choi, Characteristics of glottal area waveform and phonation in patients with unilateral vocal fold palsy or sulcus vocalis, Korean Journal of Communication Disorders, Vol. 12(3), pp. 487-503, 2007.
- S. M. Jin, Objective measures of voice production in telephone operatiors, The Journal of the Korean society of Logopedics and Phoniatrics, Vol.8(1), pp124-129, 1997.
- K. M. Wheeler, S. P. Collins, C. M. Sapienza, the relationship between VHI scores and specific acoustic measures of mildly disordered voice production, Journal of Voice, 20(2), pp.308-317, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvoice.2005.03.006
- The Characteristics of Voice Handicap Index and Vocal Misuse and Overuse in Female Elementary Teachers vol.5, pp.4, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13064/KSSS.2013.5.4.053
- Voice hygiene habits and the characteristics of Korean Voice-Related Quality of Life (K-VRQOL) among classical singers vol.10, pp.3, 2018, https://doi.org/10.13064/KSSS.2018.10.3.049