- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Study on Computer Workstation, Rest and Musculoskeletal Symptoms in High School Students
고등학생들의 컴퓨터 작업환경, 휴식과 근골격계 자각증상에 대한 연구
- Yoon, Tae-Hyung (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Dongseo University) ;
- Cha, Tae-Hyun (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Kyungwoon University) ;
- Hwang, Sang-Hui (Dept. of Occupational Therapy, Catholic Sangji College)
- Received : 2012.04.30
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
This study is the investigation research to look into rest, computer work environment and muscle and bone symptom of high school students in some area. With high school students in K area as the object the questionnaires of self-writing type were distributed and the final 685 copies were collected and material analysis was carried out. In the differences between work posture and environment evaluation score following whether or not of pain existing of the each part of pain, the score of the persons who do not have pain was significantly higher than the score of the persons who have pain. The negative correlation between the part of pain and work environment was in desk(shoulder), chair(neck, shoulder, back, and ankle/foot), monitor(shoulder, back) keyboard (neck, shoulder, and ankle/foot) appeared as the result. Controling monitor and chair environment is help to alleviate neck pain and ankle/foot pain respectively. Therefore, computer work environment and bone and muscle symptom have relations and as the use of computer increases, prevention program which can relieve muscle and bone symptom by improving computer work environment is necessary.
- Korea Communications Commission(KCC). Internet Current Situation. 2010.
- S. J. Shin., S. H. Lee., M. Y. Jung, "The effect of computer work position and workstation on musculoskeletal pain", The Journal of Korean Society of Occupational Therapy, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 83-90, 2004.
- M. H. Yun., Y. G. Lee., H. T. Eoh., S. H. Lim, "Results of survey on the awareness an severity assessment of upper-limb work-related musculoskeletal disorders among female bank tellers in Korea", International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, Vol.27, No.5, pp.347-357, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0169-8141(00)00062-7
- S. Y. Heo, "The effects of hold-relax and active stretching on recoveries of muscle fatigue after computer work", Master's thesis, Catholic University of Pusan, 2006.
- C. J. Lim, "Study on subjective symptoms and occupational characteristics for work-related musculoskeletal disorders in the electronic industry", Master's thesis, Hongik University, 2003.
- Rossignol, A. M., Morse, E. P., Summer, V. M., " Video display terminal use and reported health symptoms among Massachusetts clerical workers", Journal of Occupational Medicine, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 112-118, 1987.
- Admit, R., "Working posture and musculoskeletal problems of video display terminal operators-review and reappraisal", American Industrial Hygiene Association Journal, Vol.44, No.6, pp. 437-446, 1983. https://doi.org/10.1080/15298668391405102
- J. H. Jung, "A study on the effect of forearm supporter and elbow height when using mouse", Master's thesis, Pukyong National University, 2005.
- Deed, E., Harrison, D. C., "Anterior head translation: Biomechanics measurement and treatment", American Journal of Clinical Chiropractic, June, 2002.
- World Health Organization, "Visual display terminal and worker's health", Vol.1, No.4, 1987.
- Y. H. Choi, "A study on work-related musculoskeletal disorders in telephone number information operators", Master's thesis, Dong-Eui University, 2001.
- Y. H. Baek, "Musculoskeletal disorders in operators of visual display terminals", Korean Industrial Health Association, Vol.80, No.1, pp. 42-44, 1994.
- K. Y. Park, K. J. Bak, J. G. Lee, Y. S. Lee, J. H. Roh, "Factors affecting the complaints of subjective symptoms in VDT operators", Korean Journal of Occupational Medicine, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 156-169, 1997.
- C. Y. Park, K. H. Cho, S. H. Lee, "Cervicobrachial disorders of female international telephone operators I. Subjective Symptoms", Korean Journal of Occupational Medicine, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 141-50, 1989.
- S. H. Yim, Y. G. Lee, J. J. Cho, J. I. Son, J. C. S, "Symptoms prevalence of work-related musculoskeletal disorders and related factors among bank workers by visual display terminal use", Korean Journal of Occupational Medicine, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 85-98, 19978.
- K. M. Eom, "Related facors and subjective symptoms of VDT syndrome in high school students who major in computer science", Master's thesis, Konyang University, 2009.
- D. U. Lee, "Impact of personal computer use on musculoskeletal symptoms in middle and high scholl students", Korean Academy of Family Medicine, Vol.23, No.6, pp. 760-768, 2002.
- C. Y. Jin, S. M. Lee, "The effect of computer work on musculoskeletal subjective symptoms and fatigue of the blind", The Korean Journal of Visual Impairment, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 67-80, 2009.
- H. S. Park, "The effect of VDT work on work-related musculoskeletal disorders in the deluxe hotel", Journal of Tourism Studies, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 217-225, 2006.
- E. C. Lee, H. C. Kim, D. Y. Jung, D. H. Kim, J. H. Leem, S. G. Park, "Association between job-stress and VDT work, and musculoskeletal symptoms of neck and shoulder among white-collar workers", Korean Journal of Occupational Medicine, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 187-195, 2007.
- A. S. Park, I. S. Kwon, Y. C. Cho, "Fatigue symptoms and its related factors among general hospital nurses", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial cooperation Society, Vol.10, No.8, pp. 2164-2172, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.8.2164
- S. J. Lee, J. D. Kang, "Fatigue and related factors in college students", Journal of Korean Society Hygienic Sciences, Vol.5, No.2, pp. 1010-110, 1999.
- S. N. Yang, "A study on state of computer use and VDT subjective symptoms among the middle and high school students", Master's thesis, Hansung University, 2003.
- DoD Ergonomics Working Group. "Creating the ideal computer workstation: A step-by-step guide", 2000.
- Korea Occupational Safety and Health Agency. "The Guideline of survey about risk factor relating to musculoskeletal disorders"(Translated by Sangchul Roh). Incheon. pp. 10-11, 2003.
- Kourinka, I., Jonsson, B., Kilbom, A., "Standardised Nordic questionnaires for the analysis of musculoskeletal systems", Applied Ergomics, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 233-237, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-6870(87)90010-X
- S. D. Lee, K. S. Kim, "A study of the relationship between the subjective symptoms of VDT syndrome and occupational factors in VDT operators", The Journal of Korean Acupuncture and Moxibustion Society, Vol.18, No.6, pp. 70-83, 2001.
- K. H. Park, M. C. Kang, I. S. Oh, G. U. Kim, "KIAS: the Korean internet addictions scale and a survey on the internet addictions in Korea", Information and Communications Magazine, Vol.26, No.12, pp. 292-304, 2001.
- Hagberg, M., "ABC of work related disorders. Neck and arm disorders", British Medical Journal, Vol.313, No.7054, pp. 419-422. 1996. https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.313.7054.419
- Luopajarvi, T., Kuorinka, I., Virolainen, M., Holmberg, M., "Prevalence of tenosynovitis and other injuries of the upper extremities in repetitive work", Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment and Health, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 48-55, 1979. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.2675
- Punnett, L., Robins, J. M., Wegman, D. H., Keyserling, W. M., "Soft tissue disorders in the upper limbs of female garment workers", Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment and Health, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 417-425, 1985. https://doi.org/10.5271/sjweh.2205
- Y. H. Jung, "Use of computers by teenagers and the effect on subjective symptoms of VDT syndroms", Master's thesis, Seoul University, 2002.
- H. Lee, "A new case of fatal pulmonary thromboembolism associated with prolonged sitting at computer in Korea", Yonsei Medical Journal, Vol.45, No.2, pp. 349-351, 2004. https://doi.org/10.3349/ymj.2004.45.2.349
- Misawa, T., Yosino, K., Shigeta, S., "An experimental study on the duration of a single spell of work on VDT(visual display terminal) performance", Japanese Journal of Industrial Health, Vol.26, No.4, pp. 296-302, 1984.
- Niche Software Ltd., "WorkPace Computer Use Analysis Report", pp. 7, 2004.
- J. P. Lee, "The study on the effects of short break time for the prevention of MSDs on the VDT Work", Master's thesis, Dong-Eui University, 2008.
- J. C. An, "The effect of rest and transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation on hand pain during visual display terminal work", Master's thesis, Dankook University, 2010.
- Saito, S., Miyao, M., Kondo, T., Sakakibara, H., Toyoshima, H., "Ergonomic evaluation of working posture of VDT operation using personal computer with flat panel display", Industrial Health, Vol.35, No.2, pp. 264-270, 1997. https://doi.org/10.2486/indhealth.35.264
- Neumann, D. A., Kinesiology of the musculoskeletal system. Mosby, 2002.
- J. I. Son, S. J. Song, J. C. Song, H. B. Park, "A study on the relationship between subjective symptoms and psychological symptoms on some VDT workers", Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Vol.28, No.2, pp. 433-449, 1995.
- D. Q. Kim, S. H. Cho, T. R. Han, H. J. Kwon, M. N. Ha, N. J. Paik, "The effect of VDT work on work-related musculoskeletal disorder", Korean Journal of Occupational Environmental Medicine, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 524-533, 1998.
- Y. K. Lee, H. S. Park, D. S. Kim, "Ergonomic analysis of office chairs and desks against ministry of labor notification and korean standards", Journal of Korean Society Occupational Environmental Hygiene, Vol.19, No.1, pp. 16-24, 2009.
- Bergqvist, U. O., "Video display terminals and health: A technical and medical appraisal of the state of the database", Scandinavian Journal of Work Environment and Health, Vol.10, No.2, pp. 87, 1984.
- D. K. Yoon, "A study for the changes of workload at varying positions of computer monitor and mouse in computer work", Master's thesis, Incheon University, 2002.