- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Characteristics of Highschool Students about Choosing a University
고교생들의 대학진학선택에 대한 특성
- Roh, Hyo-Lyun (Department of Occupational Therapy, Kangwon National University)
- 노효련 (강원대학교 작업치료학과)
- Received : 2012.04.24
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
The objective of this paper is to understand the characteristics of highschool students in selecting a career. The subject included 750 students from, who became a university student in 2011. The most of number of students answered that they applied to 3 to 4 universities and they decided their major and university on their last year of high school. Many placed weight on the major rather than the school. Among types of selecting career, family-type received the most voted. In selecting a major, the most answered that they consider their aptitude and then career opportunity. Most students said they were equipped with information and knowledge about the major they applied for beforehand. In selecting a university, many mainly applied for the ones with the highest chance of getting accepted. Many said they learned of the university from their high school/teacher or through the internet. A very few answered that they learned of the university through media such as TV/radio and newspaper. Therefore, appropriate information should be provided to the ones who have the greatest influence on students in selecting a career, family. Also, universities need to develop a promotion strategy that utilizes high schools as well as the internet and smartsphones.
Major;Selecting career;University student
- Hahn KD, "Subjects interests and self-achievement in high schools and the choice do Economics, Business majors in colleges", The Korean Journal of Economic Education, Vol. 15, No 1, pp. 75-87, 2008.
- Lim E. "Differences among Groups Classified Based on Social Supporters in Choosing College Majors", The Journal of Vocational Education Research, Vol. 27, No. 3, pp. 63-84, 2008.
- National Statistical Office, University entrance rate. http://kostat.go.kr
- Jeju university, Actual condition survey on freshman of the year 2008, Jeju university, 2008.
- Son CG. & Kim YT. "The career decision-making styles and self-concepts characteristics of university students", Journal of student guidance, Vol. 26, pp. 21-42, 2005.
- Cho WS, "Correlation between major satisfaction and academic achievement in accordance with majorinterest correspondence of the university students", Daejin University master's thesis, 2009.
- Lee GH, & Kwon JM, "The Relationship Between College Students' Selecting Majors and Their Achievement in College Life", Kung hee university journal of research education problem, Vol. 2, pp. 95-112, 1996.
- Lim MH, "A Study on the Awareness of Dental Hygiene Freshmen of Major and Occupation", Journal of Dental Hygiene Science Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 277-284, 2006.
- Jeong, WM & Lee, JS, "Study on the Criteria for Selection and Life of College by Among Department of Occupational Therapy Students' in the University and College" KSOT Vol. 9, No. 1, 2001 55-68.
- Kim. SM, "A study on the admission procedure to the physical education-related courses in the university" Korea national university of education. 2003.
- Kang KY, A study on the living status 2006, Chongshin university, 2007.
- Jung YK & Lim E, "Parents perption and expectation on aptitude test" The Journal of Carrer Education Research, Vol. 16, No. 1, pp. 123-135, 2003.
- Jung SW, Jung HN, Kim NJ, "The characteristics of 2007 duksung women's university freshmen". Rearsh of students life, Vol. 23, pp. 1-34. 2007.
- Ahn YJ. "Characteristics of university matriculates and its spatial attraction" Journal of the economic geographical society of korea, Vol. 7, No 3, pp. 481-501, 2004.
- Kim HE, "A study on the living status and consciousness of freshmen on year 2009". Study on the living of student on Yong In University, Vol.17. pp. 113-165, 2010.