- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
The Effects of Factors of Partnership between Suppliers and Buyers toward on Collaboration and Supply Chain Performance
공급사-구매사간 파트너십 요인이 협업과 공급사슬 성과에 미치는 영향
- Jung, Chul-Ho (Department of Business Administration, Mokwon University)
- 정철호 (목원대학교 경영학과)
- Received : 2012.03.21
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
This study aims to empirically analyze the structural effects of partnership characteristics between buyers and suppliers on the performance in supply chains. To this end, an in-depth literature review was performed in advance and four partnership characteristics involving information sharing, participativeness, interdependence, solidarity were identified, and a research model was validated by incorporating collaboration, trust, satisfaction. To analyze data collected from 124 companies, structural equation modeling was employed to test hypotheses proposed in this study and the findings are shown as follow. First, the partnership between buyers and suppliers was confirmed to have a positive effect on collaboration, trust and satisfaction. Second, both of trust and satisfaction were found to positively influence collaboration. Third, our findings also validated that collaboration and trust between buyers and suppliers had significant influences on supply chain performance, however, we found no evidence of a statistically significant relationship between satisfaction and performance. Based on these findings, discussions on the implications of this study and suggestions for further research were given finally.
Partnership;Collaboration;Trust;Satisfaction;Supply Chain Performance
- A. Matopoulos, M. Vlachopoulou, V. Manthou, and B. Manos, "A Conceptual Framework for Supply Chain Collaboration: Empirical Evidence from the Agri-food Industry", Supply Chain Management: An International Journal, Vol.12, No.3, pp. 177-186, 2007. https://doi.org/10.1108/13598540710742491
- C. Jung, J. Jung, D. Shin, and S. Kim, "Development of New Collaborative Key Performance Indicators in Manufacturing Collaboration Based on the SCOR Model", The Journal of Society for e-Business Studies, Vol.15, No.1, 2010, pp. 157-171.
- C. Kim and C. Seo, "The Mediation Effect of Collaboration on Supply Chain Performance: Mobile Networks Industry in Korea", The Journal of MIS Research, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 1-27, 2006.
- C. Suh, Y. Kim, and D. Chu, "The Effect on the Performance of Partner Relationship Factors in Logistics", Korean Journal of Business Administration, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 771-789, 2007.
- D.A. Johnston, D.M. McCutcheon, F.I. Stuart, and H. Kenwood, "Effects of Supplier Trust on Performance of Cooperative Supplier Relationships", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 23-38, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jom.2003.12.001
- D.M. Lambert, M.C. Cooper, and J.D. Pagh, "Supply Chain Management: Implementation Issues and Research Opportunities", International Journal of Logistics Management, Vol.9, No.2, 1998, pp. 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1108/09574099810805807
- E. Anderson and J.A. Narus, "A Model of Distributor Firm and Manufacturer Firm Working Partnerships", Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.1, 1990, pp. 42-58. https://doi.org/10.2307/1252172
- E. Garbarino and M.S. Johnson, "The Different Roles of Satisfaction, Trust and Commitment in Customer Relationships", Journal of Marketing, Vol.63, No.2, 1999, pp. 70-87. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251946
- G. Kim, Structural Equation Model Analysis, Hannarae, 2007.
- H.L. Lee and S. Hwang, E-business and Supply Chain Integration, Stanford Global Supply Chain Management Forum, November, 2001.
- H. Shin, "Supply Management Orientation and Supplier/Buyer Performance", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.18, No.3, 2000, pp. 317-334. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(99)00031-5
- H. Sun, P. Zhang, and X.S. Xiao, "A Research Model of Relationship Quality in E-Commerce: Connecting IS Factors with Marketing Profitability", Proceedings of the 13th Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2007, pp. 1-16.
- H. Yoon, "A Study on Problem and Improvement Plans through on the Korean Big Discount Companies SCM Practical Use", Distribution Information Review, Vol.4, No.1, 2001, pp. 73-92.
- J. Heikkila, "From Supply to Demand Chain Management: Efficiency and Customer Satisfaction", Journal of Operations Management, Vol.20, No.6, 2002, pp. 747-767. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0272-6963(02)00038-4
- J.C. Handerson, "Plugging into Strategic Partnerships: The Critical IS Connection", Sloan Management Review, Vol.30, No.3, 1990, pp. 7-18.
- J. Lee and Y. Kim, "Effect of Partnership Quality on IS Outsourcing Success: Conceptual Framework and Empirical Validation", Journal of MIS, Vol.15, No.4, 1999, pp. 29-62.
- J. Mohr and R. Spekman, "Characteristics of Partnership Success: Partnership Attributes, Communication Behavior, and Conflict Resolution Techniques", Strategic Management Journal, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 135-152, 1994. https://doi.org/10.1002/smj.4250150205
- J. Rhee, G. Ryu, and Y. Ha, "Satisfactions with Partnerships between Textile Manufacturers and Textile Preparation Companies", The Asian Pacific Journal of Small Business, Vol.23, No.3, pp. 259-284, 2001.
- J.T. Mentzer, J.H. Foggin, and S.L. Golicic, "Collaboration: The Enablers, Impediments, and Benefits", Supply Chain Management Review, pp. 52-58, 2000.
- L.A. Crosby, K.R. Evans, and D. Cowles, "Relationship Quality in Services Selling: An Interpersonal Influence Perspective", Journal of Marketing, Vol.54, No.3, 1990, pp. 68-81. https://doi.org/10.2307/1251817
- M. Anoop, "Revisiting Multinational Firms' Tolerance for Joint Ventures: A Trust based Approach", Journal of International Business Studies, Vol.25, 1995, pp. 117-137.
- N. Kumar, L.K. Scheer, and J. Steenkamp, "The Effects of Perceived Interdependence on Dealer Attitudes", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.32, No.3, pp. 348-356, 1996.
- P.C. Brewer and T.S. Speh, "Using the Balanced Scorecard to Measure Supply Chain Performance", Journal of Business Logistics, Vol.21, No.1, pp. 75-94, 2000.
- R. Morgan and S. Hunt, "The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing", Journal of Marketing, Vol.58, No.7, pp. 20-38, 1994.
- S. Alter, Information Systems, Prentice Hall, 4th Ed., 2002.
- S. Choi and J. Choi, "The Study on the Effect of Interfirm Collaboration on Logistics Performance in Supply Chain -Focusing on the Steel Pipe Industry-", Management Information Systems Review, Vol.30, No.4, pp. 229-251, 2011. https://doi.org/10.29214/damis.2011.30.4.010
- S. Jang and Y. Choi, "Influence of Relationship Factors on Collaborative IT Activities and Firm Performance", A Journal of the Korean OR and MS Society, Vol.23, No.2, pp. 1-16, 2006.
- S. Kang, T. Moon, and Y. Chung, "An Empirical Study on the Determinants of Supply Chain Management Systems Success from Vendor's Perspective", Asia Pacific Journal of Information Systems, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 139-166, 2010.
- S.M. Jap, "Pie-Expention Efforts: Collaboration Processes in Buyer-Supplier Relationships", Journal of Marketing Research, Vol.36, No.4, pp. 461-475, 1999. https://doi.org/10.2307/3152000