- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Leadership of Team Leaders and the Organizational Commitment of the Followers in an Employment Service Agencies
고용서비스 기관에서의 팀장의 리더십과 구성원의 조직몰입에 관한 연구
- Lee, Man-Ki (The Korea Employment Information Service)
- 이만기 (한국고용정보원)
- Received : 2012.06.11
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
The roles of public and private employment service agencies have been considered crucially important due to the increasing interest of employment services and policies since the Korean Currency Crisis. Eventually, the roles of a manager and a follower of employment service agencies have been of greater importance. In this study, several means concerning the improvement in organizational performances are suggested by studying the leadership's influence of a team leader in employment service agency over the organizational commitment of the followers. In addition to this, influential factors exerted to the organizational performances in an employment service agency have been analysed by the justice awareness between the two groups - team leaders and followers. The analytic results have shown that the transactional leadership has nothing to do with the organizational commitment whereas the transformational leadership has the positive influence over the organizational commitment. However, the leadership of a leader surely influences both distributional and procedural justice. With these facts, it has been proven that these justice have also influenced on the organizational committment. Throughout the process, it has been identified that the distributional justice has more impact on the organizational commitment rather than on the procedural justice.
Transformational leadership;Transactional leadership;Organizational commitment;Distributional justice;Procedural justice
- Adams, J. S., "Toward Understanding of Inequity," Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, pp.422-436, 1963.
- Alexander, S. and Ruderman, M., "The Role of Procedural and Distributive Justice in Organizational Behavior". Social Justice Research, 1. pp.177-198, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01048015
- Baik, J. C. & Jeong, Y. K., "The Influence of Leadership Patterns on Organizing Immersion of Workers in the Hotel Business", the first edition 7th volume, pp.41-55, Tourist Administration Academy, 2003.
- Bass, B. M., "From Transactional to Transformational Leadership: Learning to Share the Vision," Organizational Dynamics, Autumn, pp.19-31, 1989.
- Bycio, p., Hackett, R. D., & Allen, J. S., "Further Assessment of Bass's(1985) Conceptualization of Transactional and Transformational Leadership", Journal of Applied Psychology, 80(4), pp.468-478, 1995. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.80.4.468
- Chang, S. T., "Impact of Managers' Leadership on the Organizational Commitment and Turnover Intention in Hotel Restaurants", The Study of Tourist Information, 17th edition, The Korean Tourist Information Academy, pp.1-20, 2004.
- Chang, S. I., "A Study On the Effect of Transformational Leadership and Transactional Leadership on the Organizational Commitment by Structural Equation Modeling", The Study of Development of Human Resources, the second edition 16th volume, pp.213-229, The Korean Human Resources Development Academy, 2009.
- Cook, J. and Wall, T., "New Work Attitude Measures of Trust, Organizational Commitment and Personal Need non-fulfillment", Journal of Occupational Psychology, 53, pp.39-52, 1980. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1980.tb00005.x
- Folger, R., & Konovsky, M. A., "Effects of Procedural and Distributive Justice on Reactions to Pay Raise Decisions", Academy of Management Journal, 32, pp.115-130, 1989. https://doi.org/10.2307/256422
- Gaertner, K. & Nollen, S. D., "Career Experience, Perceptions of Employment Practices, and Psychological Commitment to the Organization", Human Relations, 42(11), pp.975-991, 1989. https://doi.org/10.1177/001872678904201102
- Greenberg, J., "Organizational Justice: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow", Journal of Management, 16, pp.399-432, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1177/014920639001600208
- Hater, J.J and B.M. Bass, "Superiors Evaluations and Subordinates Perceptions of Transformational and Transactional Leadership", Journal of Applied Psychology, 73(41), pp.695-702, 1988. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.73.4.695
- Jung, B. G. & Lee, S. S., "The Intermediate Effects of Trust in Relationship between Organizational Justice and Organizational Effectiveness", the collection of management dissertations, 15th volume, pp.209-224, The Institute for Management and Economics, Chungnam Univ, 1999.
- Kang, J. C. & Choi, W. S., "The Effect of Hotel Manager's Leadership on the Member's Organizational Commitment", Tourism Research, 23, pp.1-31, Korean Tourist Industry Academy, 2006.
- Konovsky, M. A., & Pugh, S.D., "Citizenship Behavior and Social Exchange", Academy of Management Journal, 73, pp.656-669, 1994.
- Korsgaard, M. A. and Roberson, L., "Precedural Justice in Performance Evaluation", Journal of Management, 21, pp.657-699, 1995.
- Kwock, Y. S., "The Effects of Middle Manager's Transformational and Transactional Leadership Styles on the Affective, Continuous, and Normative Organizational Commitments", Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Studies, 8(3). pp.119-132, The Academy of Korea Hospitality & Tourism, 2006.
- Kim, M. U. & Lee, H. J., "Organizational Justice: Its Evaluative Rules, and their Relationships with perceived Fairness, Job Satisfaction, Organizational Commitment, Job Involvement, and Pay Satisfaction", The Korean Journal of Social and Personality Psychology, the second edition of 6th volume, pp.11-28, Korean psychology academy, 1992.
- Kim, M. S. & Park, Y. B., "A Study on the relationship between Transformational Leadership and Job Involvement according to Nurses Personal Characteristics", Journal of Korea Community Health Nursing Academic Society, the second volume 15th collection, pp.249-261, 2001.
- Kim, H. J., "The Effects of the Transformational․ Transactional Leadership on the Organizational Commitment: A Comparison of Public and Private Sector Employees", The Journal of Korean Administration, the second edition of 35th volume, pp.197-216, Korean Administration Academy, 2001.
- Lee, S. K., "Impact of Transactional Leadership on Organizational Commitment", The Tourist Study, the third edition 21th volume, pp.1-17, The Korean Tourist Management Academy, 2006.
- McAllister, D. J., "Affect-and Cognition-Based Trust as Foundations for Interpersonal Cooperation in Organizations", Academy of Management Journal, 38(1), pp.24-59, 1995. https://doi.org/10.2307/256727
- McFarlin, D. B. and P. D. Sweeney, "Distributive and Procedural Justice as Predictors of Satisfaction with Personal and Organizational Outcomes", Academy of Management Journal, 35, pp.626-637, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/256489
- Meyer, J. P. & Allen, N. J., "The Measurement and Antecedents of Affective, Continuance and Normative Commitment to the Organization", Journal of Occupational Psychology, 63, pp.1-18, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.2044-8325.1990.tb00506.x
- Moorman, R. H., "Relationship between Organizational Justice and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors: Do justice Perceptions Influence Employee Citizenship", Journal of Applied Psychology, 76(6), pp.845-855, 1991. https://doi.org/10.1037/0021-9010.76.6.845
- Niehoff, B. P. & Moorman, R. H., "Justice as a Mediator of the Relationship between Methods of Monitoring and Organizational Citizenship Behavior", Academy of Management Journal, Vol. 36, pp.527-556, 1993. https://doi.org/10.2307/256591
- Pawar, B. S. & Eastman, K. K., "The Nature and Implications of Contextual Influences on Transformational Leadership: A Conceptual Examination", Academy of Management Review, 22(1): pp.80-109, 1997.
- Podsakoff, P.M., MacKenzie, S.B., Moorman, R.H., and Fetter, R., "Transformational Leader Behaviors and Their Effects on Followers' Trust in Leader, Satisfaction, and Organizational Citizenship Behaviors", Leadership Quarterly, 1(2), pp.107-142, 1990. https://doi.org/10.1016/1048-9843(90)90009-7
- Tsui, A. S., Egan, T. D. & O'Reilly III, C. A., "Being different: Relational demography and organizational attachment", Administr: RelaScience Quarterly, Ithaca: 37(4), p.549, 1992. https://doi.org/10.2307/2393472
- Yang, H. R., "Effects of Managers' Transformational and Transactional Leadership on the Secretaries' Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment", The Collection of Treatises of Secretary Study, the first edition 11th volume, pp.77-99, Korean Secretary Academy, 2002.
- Bass, B. M., Leadership and Performance Beyond Expectations, NY: Free Press, 1985.
- Bies, R. J. & Moag, J. S., Interactional Justice : Communication Criteria of justice, In R. J. Lewick, B. H. Sheppard & M. H. Bazerman (eds.), Research in Negotiations in Organizations, 1, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, pp.33-55, 1986.
- Cho, K. H., A Study on the Impact of Justice, Organizational Commitment, Job Satisfaction and Organizational Effectiveness, Doctoral dissertation, graduate of Hoseo Univ, 2000.
- Etzioni, A., A Comparative Analysis of Complex Organizations, New York: The Free Press. A Division of Macmillan Co. Inc. pp.8-11, 1975.
- Kang, S. K., Relationship between Employee's Perceived Leadership Styles and Organization Commitment : Focused on Transformational and Transactional Leadership, Doctoral dissertation, graduate of Paichai Business School, 2002.
- Kim, G. S., A Model Analysis of Structural Equation, Hannarae, 2008.
- Lee, B. W., The Effect of Performance, Promotion and Relational Characteristics to the Attitude of Members in the Military Organization(Around the organizational commitment, job satisfaction, result receptivity), Master's thesis, the graduate school of Yonsei Univ, 1998.
- Leventhal, G., "What Should Be Done with Equity Theory?", In Gergen, K, Greenberg, M., & Willis, R.(ed.), Social Exchange : Advances in Theory and Research, Plenum Press, New York, pp.27-55, 1980.
- Locke, E. A., "The Nature and Causes of Job Satisfaction", In M, D, Dunnette(ed), Handbook of Industrial and Organizational Psychology, Chicago: Rand McNally, pp. 1330-1307, 1976.
- Mowday, R.T., Porter, L.W. and Steers, R.M., Employee-Organization Linkages: The Psychology of Commitment, Absenteeism and Turnover, New York: Academic Press, 1982.
- Pyo, Y. T., A Study on The Relationship Between Leadership style, Organizational Commitment, Cohesiveness, and Turnover Intention, Doctoral dissertation, graduate of Kyonggi Univ, 1998.
- Sheppard B. & Lewicki R., "Toward General Principles of Managerial justice", Social Justice Research, 1, pp.161-176, 1987. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF01048014