- Volume 13 Issue 7
DOI QR Code
Study on the Compact MR fluid Brake for the Training and Sporting Equipment for Leg Rehabilitation
하지 재활운동치료 기구에 적용하기 위한 소형 MR 유체 브레이크에 관한 연구
- Park, Woo-Cheul (Dept. of Vehicle Eng. Kangwon National University) ;
- Lee, Hyun-Chang (Dept. of Vehicle Eng. Kangwon National University) ;
- Kim, Il-Gyoum (ChomDan Mechanical Co. Ltd., R&D Center)
- Received : 2012.02.13
- Accepted : 2012.07.12
- Published : 2012.07.31
In this study, the training and sporting equipment for leg rehabilitation featuring the MR fluids is proposed. The compact MR fluid brake is designed and manufactured to apply to the rehabilitation training and sporting mechanism. The resistance characteristic of the MR fluid brake is controllable by varying the magnetic field around the fluid. Under consideration of spatial limitation, design parameters which are related with the magnetic strength are determined to maximize to a torque using finite element method. The FE analysis is performed using a commercial code, ANSYS Workbench. The proposed brake device is manufactured, and its field-dependant torque is experimentally evaluated. When the electric current is supplied, the torque of the MR fluid brake is increased and the response is very fast. Depending on the strength of the current supply, torques of the MR fluid brake also increase similar to Bingham property of MR fluid.
Magneto-rheological Fluid;magnetic field;Torque;yield stress;Rehabilitation;Leg;Bingham property
- I. H. Jung, T. Kim, "Study on Value Establishment and Local Welfare Policy Under the South Korea's Low-Fertility and Aging Population Structure", J. of the Korean Urban Management Association, Vol. 23, No. 3, pp.3-27, 2010.
- Korean Statistical Information Service, "estimated future population", http://kosis.kr, 2005.1.
- K. Kim, C. H. Yu, K. J. Hong, T. K. Kwon, C. U. Hong, N. G. Kim. "Study on the Gait Analysis of the Aged with Lower Limbs Orthotics", Engineering Research, Vol. 36, pp.67-76, 2005.
- Carlson, J. D., Catanzarite, D. M. and St. Clair, K. A., "Commercial Magneto -rheological Fluid Devices", Proceedings of 5th International Conference on ER Fluids, MR suspension and Associated Technology, pp.20-28, 1996.
- Goncalves, F. D., Jeong-Hoi Koo, Ahmadian, M., "A Review of the State of the Art in Magneto -rheological Fluid Technologies-Part I: MR fluid and MR fluid models.", Shock &Vibration Digest, Vol. 38, No. 3, pp.203-219, 2006. https://doi.org/10.1177/0583102406065099
- H. J. Song, D. Woo, S. B. Choi, "Dynamic Characteristic Analysis of MR Impact Damper for Vehicle System", Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 7, pp.754-761, 2006. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2006.16.7.754
- Dong-Young Lee, J. W. Sohn, Seung-Bok Choi, "A New Type of Active Engine Mount System Featuring MR Fluid and Piezostack", Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 19, No. 6, pp.583- 590, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVN.2009.19.6.583
- Eun-Seok Kim, Seung-Bok Choi, "Control Performance Evaluation of MR Fan Clutch for Automotive: Experimental Investigation", Transactions of the Korean Society for Noise and Vibration Engineering, Vol. 20, No. 1, pp.51-57, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5050/KSNVE.2010.20.1.051
- patent, "Health Machine Using Magnetorheological Fluid", 100793394, 2008.
- Young Wan Jin, "Lower Limbs Muscle Comparative Research for Verification Effect of Rehabilitation Training Program of Total Hip Arthroplasty", Journal of Life Science, Vol. 20, No. 4, pp.543- 548, 2010. https://doi.org/10.5352/JLS.2010.20.4.543
- Load Corporation, Load technical data, http://www.lord.com/Products-and-Solutions/Magneto-Rh eological-(MR).
- W. C. Park, H. C. Lee, "Study on design of the magnetic pole used in the dashpot type MR fluid mount", Journal of the Korea Academia-Industrial Cooperation Society, Vol. 10, No. 3, pp.482 -487, 2009. https://doi.org/10.5762/KAIS.2009.10.3.482