- Volume 37 Issue 3
In this study, we developed a simulation program for the prediction of tractive performance of a tractor, by applying a widely used empirical model for tractive performance prediction of single tire, Brixius. The tractive performance prediction program can readily predict and estimate tractive performance according to various soil conditions and different specifications of tractors. The program was developed with the considerations of tractor's specification-related parameters (e.g., weight, tire size, and wheelbase of the tractor), a soil parameter (i.e., cone index which represents the soil strength), and operating conditions of the tractor (e.g., theoretical speed and driving types such as 2WD and 4WD). Also, the program was designed to provide tractive performance prediction results of tractors such as gross traction, motion resistance, net traction, and tractive efficiency, in the form of not only numerical values but also graphical visualization. To evaluate the feasibility of the program, we input three different soil conditions (which have different cone indexes each other) and tractor operating conditions to the program and analyzed the tractive performance from each input condition. From the analysis, it can be concluded that the developed program can be effectively utilized to predict the tractive performance under various soil conditions and driving types of tractors with different specifications.
Driving type;Empirical method;Soil conditions;Tractive performance;Tractor
- Brixius, W. W. 1987. Traction prediction equations for bias ply tires. ASAE paper no. 87-1622.
- Catalan, H., P. Linares and V. Mendez. 2008. Tractor_PT: A traction prediction software for agricultural tractors. Computer and Electronics in Agriculture 60:289-295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2007.07.009
- Dwyer, M. J. 1984. The tractive performance of wheeled vehicles. Journal of Terramechanics 21(1):19-34. https://doi.org/10.1016/0022-4898(84)90005-3
- Freitag, D. R. 1965. A dimensional analysis of the performance of pneumatic tires on soft soils. Technical Report No. 3-688, U.S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station, Corps of Engineers, Vicksburg, MS.
- Lee, D. H., W. Y. Park and K. S. Lee. 2009. A Study on Traction Prediction of Agricultural Tractor by Experimental Method. Journal of the Korean Society for Agricultural Machinery 34(5):297-304 (In Korean).
- Sahu, R. K. and H. Raheman. 2008. A decision support system on matchung and field performance prediction of tractor-implement system. Computer and Electronics in Agriculture 60:76-86. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2007.07.001
- Wismer, R. D. and H. J. Luth. 1972. Off-Road Traction Prediction for Wheeled Vehicles. Transaction of ASAE: 8-14.
- Wong, J. Y. 1989. Terramechanics and Off-Road Vehicles. Amsterdam, Netherlanfs; Elsevier Science.
- Design of Motor-driven Traveling System for High Clearance Working Machinery based on Tractive Performance and Hill Climbing Ability vol.9, pp.3, 2016, https://doi.org/10.17661/jkiiect.2016.9.3.257
- Development of a Real-Time Measurement System for Horizontal Soil Strength vol.40, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2015.40.3.165
- Performance Test of a Real-Time Measurement System for Horizontal Soil Strength in the Field vol.41, pp.4, 2016, https://doi.org/10.5307/JBE.2016.41.4.304