- Volume 49 Issue 4
Accelerated Convolution Image Processing by Using Look-Up Table and Overlap Region Buffering Method
Loop-Up Table과 필터 중첩영역 버퍼링 기법을 이용한 컨벌루션 영상처리 고속화
- Kim, Hyun-Woo (School of Electronics Engineering, IT College) ;
- Kim, Min-Young (School of Electronics Engineering, IT College)
- Received : 2011.12.23
- Accepted : 2012.06.26
- Published : 2012.07.25
Convolution filtering methods have been widely applied to various digital signal processing fields for image blurring, sharpening, edge detection, and noise reduction, etc. According to their application purpose, the filter mask size or shape and the mask value are selected in advance, and the designed filter is applied to input image for the convolution processing. In this paper, we proposed an image processing acceleration method for the convolution processing by using two-dimensional Look-up table (LUT) and overlap-region buffering technique. First, based on the fixed convolution mask value, the multiplication operation between 8 or 10 bit pixel values of the input image and the filter mask values is performed a priori, and the results memorized in LUT are referred during the convolution process. Second, based on symmetric structural characteristics of the convolution filters, inherent duplicated operation region is analysed, and the saved operation results in one step before in the predefined memory buffer is recalled and reused in current operation step. Through this buffering, unnecessary repeated filter operation on the same regions is minimized in sequential manner. As the proposed algorithms minimize the computational amount needed for the convolution operation, they work well under the operation environments utilizing embedded systems with limited computational resources or the environments of utilizing general personnel computers. A series of experiments under various situations verifies the effectiveness and usefulness of the proposed methods.
Supported by : 휴먼인지환경사업본부
- R. Chellappa, C. L. Wilson and S. Sirohey, "Human and machine recognition of faces: a survey," Proc. Of IEEE, vol, 83, no. 5, pp. 705-740, May 1995.
- M. H. Yang, D. J. Kriegman and N. Ahuja, "Detecting faces in images: a survey," IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 34-58, January 2002. https://doi.org/10.1109/34.982883
- 정신철, 송병철, "영역별 특성을 고려한 적응적 영상 보간 방법," 전자공학회논문지, 제49권, 제5호, 111-119쪽, 2009년 9월
- 배정민, 이영현, 송태엽, 구본화, 전승선, 고한석, "Edge와 Intensity 기반의 특징을 이용한 얼굴 검출," 대한전자공학회 2009년 하계종합학술대회, 967-968쪽, 2009년 7월
- Boguslaw Cyganek and J. Paul Siebert "An Introduction to 3D Computer Vision techniques and Algorithms," Wiley, pp. 95-127, March 2008.
- J. Canny, "A Computational Approach to Edge Detection," IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 8, no. 6, pp. 679-698, Nov. 1986.
- C. Gatta, A.Rizzi and D. Marini, "Local linear LUT method for spatial colour-correction algorithm speed-up," IEE Proc.-Vision, Image and Signal Processing, vol. 153, no. 3, pp. 357-363, June 2006. https://doi.org/10.1049/ip-vis:20050279
- 최우영, 박래홍, "네 방향 마스크를 가진 Sobel 연산자의 고속처리 방법," 전자공학회논문지, 제23권, 제6호, 957-960쪽, 1986년 11월