- Volume 49 Issue 4
Performance Improvement of Genetic Algorithms through Fusion of Queen-bee Evolution into the Rank-based Control of Mutation Probability
등급기준 돌연변이 확률조절에 여왕벌진화의 융합을 통한 유전자알고리즘의 성능 향상
- Jung, Sung-Hoon (Hansung University)
- 정성훈 (한성대학교)
- Received : 2012.02.29
- Accepted : 2012.06.21
- Published : 2012.07.25
This paper proposes a fusion method of the queen-bee evolution into the rank-based control of mutation probability for improving the performances of genetic algorithms. The rank-based control of mutation probability which showed some performance improvements than the original method was a method that prevented individuals of genetic algorithms from falling into local optimum areas and also made it possible for the individuals to get out of the local optimum areas if they fell into there. This method, however, showed not good performances at the optimization problems that had a global optimum located in a small area regardless of the number of local optimum areas. We think that this is because the method is insufficient in the convergence into the global optimum, so propose a fusion method of the queen-bee evolution into this method in this paper. The queen-bee evolution inspired by reproduction process of queen-bee is a method that can strengthen the convergency of genetic algorithms. From the extensive experiments with four function optimization problems in order to measure the performances of proposed method we could find that the performances of proposed method was considerably good at the optimization problems whose global optimum is located in a small area as we expected. Our method, however, showed not good performances at the problems whose global optima were distributed in broad ranges and even showed bad performances at the problems whose global optima were located far away. These results indicate that our method can be effectively used at the problems whose global optimum is located in a small area.
Supported by : 한성대학교
- D. Goldberg, "Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimization and Machine Learning," Addison- Wesley, 1989.
- M. Srinivas and L. M. Patnaik, "Genetic Algorithms: A Survey," IEEE Computer Magazine, pp. 17-26, June 1994.
- H. Szczerbicka and M. Becker, "Genetic Algorithms: A Tool for Modelling, Simulation, and Optimization of Complex Systems," Cybernetics and Systems: An International Journal, vol. 29, pp. 639-659, Aug. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1080/019697298125461
- R. Yang and I. Douglas, "Simple Genetic Algorithm with Local Tuning: Efficient Global Optimizing Technique," Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, vol. 98, pp. 449-465, Aug. 1998. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1022697719738
- J. Andre, P. Siarry, and T. Dognon, "An improvement of the standard genetic algorithm fighting premature convergence in continuous optimization," Advances in engineering software, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 49-60, 2001. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0965-9978(00)00070-3
- C. Xudong, Q. Jingen, N. Guangzheng, Y. Shiyou, and Z. Mingliu, "An Improved Genetic Algorithm for Global Optimization of Electromagnetic Problems," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 37, pp. 3579-3583, Sept. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.952666
- J. A. Vasconcelos, J. A. Ramirez, R. H. C. Takahashi, and R. R. Saldanha, "Improvements in Genetic Algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, vol. 37, pp. 3414-3417, Sept. 2001. https://doi.org/10.1109/20.952626
- S. H. Jung, "Queen-bee evolution for genetic algorithms," Electronics Letters, vol. 39, no. 6, pp. 575-576, Mar. 2003. https://doi.org/10.1049/el:20030383
- E. Alba and B. Dorronsoro, "The exploration/ exploitation tradeoff in dynamic cellular genetic algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 9, pp. 126-142, Apr. 2005. https://doi.org/10.1109/TEVC.2005.843751
- V. K. Koumousis and C. Katsaras, "A saw-tooth genetic algorithm combining the effects of variable population size and reinitialization to enhance performance," IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 10, pp. 19-28, Feb. 2006.
- A. E. Eiben, Z. Michalewicz, m. Schoenauer, and J. E. Smith "Parameter Control in Evolutionary Algorithms," Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol. 54, pp. 19-46, 2007.
- Silja Meyer-Nieberg and Hans-Georg Beyer, "Self-Adaptation in Evolutionary Algorithms," Studies in Computational Intelligence, vol. 54, pp. 47-75, 2007.
- S. H. Jung, "Rank-based Control of Mutation Probability for Genetic Algorithms," International Journal of Fuzzy Logic and Intelligent Systems, vol. 10, no. 2, pp. 146-151, May 2010. https://doi.org/10.5391/IJFIS.2010.10.2.146
- C. W. Ho, K. H. Lee, and K. S. Leung, "A Genetic Algorithm Based on Mutation and Crossover with Adaptive Probabilities," in Proceedings of the 1999 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, vol. 1, pp. 768-775, 1999.
- M. Srinivas and L. M. Patnaik, "Adaptive Probabilities of Crossover and Mutation in Genetic Algorithms," IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, vol. 24, no. 4, pp. 656-667, Apr. 1994. https://doi.org/10.1109/21.286385