- Volume 27 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
The Flame Retardant and Mechanical Properties of Wood Flour-High Density Polyethylene Composites
목분-HDPE 복합체의 난연성 및 기계적 성질
- Shin, Baeg-Woo (Naro Space Center, Korea Aerospace Research Institute) ;
- Bang, Dae-Suk (Department of Polymer Science and Engineering,, Kumoh National Institute of Technology) ;
- Song, Young-Ho (Department of Fire & Safety Management, Hyechon University) ;
- Chung, Kook-Sam (Department of Safety Engineering, Chungbuk National University)
- Received : 2011.11.25
- Accepted : 2012.02.07
- Published : 2012.02.29
Wood-plastic composites represents a growing class of materials used by the residential construction industry and furniture industry. In this study, the effect of flame retardants on the flammability and mechanical properties of wood flour-high density polyethylene(HDPE) composites were studied. we were manufactured wood flour-HDPE composites by modular intermeshing co-rotating twin screw extruder with L/D ratio of 42. The flame retardant properties were used limiting oxygen index(LOI) and mechanical properties were measured by universal testing machine(UTM). The Morphological analysis of composites were analyzed by Scanning electron microscope(SEM). It was found that Ammonium polyphosphate can effectively reduce the flammability of the wood flour-HDPE composites. Marginal reduction in the mechanical properties of the composites was found with addition of flame retardants. SEM images showed that the coupling agent improved wood flour-HDPE interfacial bonding.
Supported by : 충북대학교
- Clemons, C. "Wood-Plastic Composites in the United States : The Interfacing of Two Industries.", Forest Products Journal Vol. 52, No. 6, pp. 10-18, 2002.
- Prichard, G. "Two Technologies Merge : Wood Plastic Composites", Plastics Additives and Compounding Vol. 6, pp. 18-21, 2004.
- Hi-youl Kim, Sangshin Park, Tae-young Che, Ju-won Park, Tae-u yu, and Won Yang, "A Study on the Characteristics of the pyrolysis for the PE, PP, PVC, RPF by using TGA", Annual Fall Meeting of the Korean Society for New & Renewable Energy, pp. 637-641, 2007.
- S.K. Shin, and T. S. Hwang, "A Study on the Effect of Coupling Agents on the Mechanical Properties of WPC", Korean Journal of Materials Research, Vol. 8, No. 12, 1998.
- T. J. Keener, R. K. Stuart, and T. K. Brown, "Maleated Coupling Agents for Natural Fibre Composites", Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, Vol. 35, Issue 3, pp. 357-362, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2003.09.014
- N. M. Stark, and M. Matuana, "Ultraviolet Weathering of Photostabilized Wood-Flour Filled High-Density Polyethylene Composites", Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol. 90, pp. 2609-2617, 2003. https://doi.org/10.1002/app.12886
- Won-Keun Son, and Taek-Sung Hwang, "The Flame Retardance and Mechanical Properties of Wood Powder-filled PP Composites", J. of Korean Ind. & Eng. Chemistry, Vol. 10. No. 1, pp. 46-50, 1999.
- N. M. Stark, R. H. White, S. A. Mueller, and T. A. Osswald, "Evaluation of Various Fire Retardants for Use in Wood Flour-polyethylene", Polymer Degradation and Stability 95, pp. 1903-1910, 2010. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.polymdegradstab.2010.04.014
- M. Sain, S. H. Park, F. Suhara, and S. Law, "Flame retardant and mechanical properties of natural fibre-PP composites containing magnesium hydroxide", Polymer Degradation and Stability 83, pp. 363-367, 2004. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0141-3910(03)00280-5
- ASTM D 638, "Standard test method for tensile properties of plastics", 2010.
- C. J. Hilado, "Flammability Handbook for Plastics", Technomic, pp. 38-47, 1982.
- Jin Kuk Kim, and Kaushik Pal, "Recent Advances in the Processing of Wood-Plastic Composites", Engineering Materials, pp. 78-79, 2010.
- Anatole A. Klyosov, "Wood-Plastic Composites", WILEY-INTERSCIENCE, pp. 461-470, 2007.