- Volume 23 Issue 1
Comparison of Comprehensive Health Status and Health-related Quality of Life between Institutionalized Older Adults and Community Dwelling Older Adults
시설 노인과 재가 노인의 다면적 건강상태와 건강관련 삶의 질 비교
- Hyun, Hye-Jin (Department of Nursing, Kangwon National University) ;
- Chang, Ae-Kyung (College of Nursing, University of Illinois) ;
- Yu, Su-Jeong (Department of Nursing, Sangji University) ;
- Park, Yeon-Hwan (College of Nursing & The Research Institute of Nursing Science)
- Received : 2011.11.22
- Accepted : 2012.03.05
- Published : 2012.03.31
Purpose: The aim of this study was to compare the factors of health-related quality of life in older adults according to the type of residency. Methods: A cross-sectional comparative study was conducted. The subjects were 114 institutionalized older adults and 99 community dwelling older adults. Data were collected through face-to-face interviews by nurses using structured questionnaires composed of SF-36 (ver.2) and CGA-SF. Results: The institutionalized older adults had more health problems and experienced lower quality of life compared to community dwelling older adults. Factors influencing health-related quality of life for institutionalized older adults were social support, educational level, and ADL, which explained about 25.7% of the total variance, while thoseof community dwelling older adults were IADL, experiencing fall, and weight loss, which had explanatory power of 31.8%. Conclusion: These results indicate that differentiated nursing strategies according to the type of residency are required to promote health-related quality of life for older adults.
Supported by : 상지대학교
- Bowling, A., Banister, D., Sutton, S., Evans, O., & Windsor, J. (2002). A multidimensional model of the quality of life in older age. Aging & Mental Health, 6 , 355-371. https://doi.org/10.1080/1360786021000006983
- Chang, J. M. (2007). A study on relations between falls, degree of ADL and quality of life in elderly people living at home. Korean Academy of Social Welfare Support, 3 (2), 27-42.
- Cho, E. J., Par, S. J., Lee, J. E., Lee, J. S., Kim, M. Y., & Yoon, J. Y. (2007). Results of 'short-form comprehensive geriatric assessment' application to elderly outpatients. Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 11 , 1-8.
- Chung, S. Y.,, Kwon, I. S., Cho, B. L., Yoon, J. L., Rho, Y. G., Lee, E. J., et al.,(2006). Reliability and validity of Korean brief comprehensive geriatric assessment. Journal of Korean Geriatrics Society, 10 (2), 67-76.
- Cohen, H. J., Feussner, J. R., Weinberger, M., Carnes, M., Hamdy, R. C., Hsieh, F., et al. (2002). A controlled trial of inpatient and outpatient geriatric evaluation and management. New England Journal of Medicine, 346 , 905-912. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa010285
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Degenholtz, H. B., Rosen, J., Castle, N., Mittal, V., & Liu, D. (2008). The association between changes in health status and nursing home resident quality of life. The Gerontologist, 48 , 584-592. https://doi.org/10.1093/geront/48.5.584
- Dobek, J., White, K., & Gunter, K. (2007). The effect of a novel ADL-based training program on performance of activities of daily living and physical fitness. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 15 , 13-25.
- Drageset, J., Natvig, G. K., Eide, G. E., Bondevik, M., Nortvedt, M. W., & Nygaard, H. A. (2009). Health-related quality oflife among old residents of nursing homes in Norway. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 15 , 455-466. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-172X.2009.01794.x
- Drageset, J., Natvig, G. K., Eide, G. E., Clipp, E. C., Bondevik, M., Nortvedt, M. W., et al. (2008). Differences in healthrelated quality of life between older nursing home residents without cognitive impairment and the general population of Norway. Journal of clinical nursing, 17 , 1227- 1236. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02132.x
- Hellstrolm, Y., Andersson, M., & Hallberg, I. R. (2004). Quality of life among older people in Sweden receiving help from informal and/or formal helpers at home or in special accommodation. Health and Social Care in the Community, 12 , 504-516. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2524.2004.00519.x
- Jeon, M. Y., Jeong, H. C., & Choe, M. A. (2001). A study on the elderly patients hospitalized by the fracture from the fall. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 31 , 443-453.
- Kim, E. H., & Kim, Y. K. (2010). Factors related to the health related quality of life among institutionalized elders. Korean Society of Adult Nursing, 22 , 281-290.
- Kim, E. H., & Lee, J. W. (2009). Factors influencing healthrelated quality of life in elderly who visited a senior center: With activity of daily living, quality of sleep and depression. Journal of the Korean Gerontological Society, 29 , 425-440.
- Kim, H., Bae, N., Kwon, I., & Cho, Y. (2010). Relationship between status of physical and mental fuction and quality of life among the elderly people admitted from long term care insurance. Journal of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, 43, 319-329. https://doi.org/10.3961/jpmph.2010.43.4.319
- Kim, M. R. (2006). The study of comparing the factors of affecting on the quality of life for young-old women and old-old women. Korean Journal of Social Welfare, 58 , 197-222.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2008). 2007 National health survey: The 4th Korea national health and nutrition examination survey. Seoul: Author.
- Korea Lags in Quality of Life. (2011, August 22). Retrieved October 31, 2011, from http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/ www/news/biz/2011/08/123_93198.html
- Lin, C. C., Li, C. I., Chang, C. K., Liu, C. S., Lin, C. H., Meng, N. H., et al. (2011). Reduced health-related quality of life in elders with frailty: A cross-sectional study of communitydwelling elders in Taiwan. PLoS ONE, 6 (7 ), 1-7.
- Lopez, D., McCaul, K. A., Hankey, G. J., Norman, P. E., Almeida, O. P., Dobson, A. J., et al. (2011). Falls, injuries from falls, health related quality of life and mortality in older adults with vision and hearing impairment-is there a gender difference? Maturitas, 69 , 359-364. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.maturitas.2011.05.006
- Ministry of Health and Welfare. (2009). 2008 Survey of the elderly: National elderly living conditions and welfare needs. Retrived October 31, 2011, http://www.mw.go.kr/front/ jb/sjb030301ls.jsp
- Nam, H., Son, M., Kweon, S., Kim, S., Park, H., Lee, C., et al. (2000). Chronic disease and health-related quality of life in an urban elders. Journal of the Korean Geriatrics Society, 4 (3), 172-190.
- Oh, Y. H. (2005). Relationship between objective health status and self-perceived health of Korean older persons. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hanyang University, Seoul.
- Shin, K. R., Byeon, Y. S., Kang, Y., & Oak, J. (2008). A study on physical symptom, activity of daily living, and healthrelated quality of life (HRQoL) in the community-dwelling older adults. Journal of Korean Academy of Nursing, 38, 437-444. https://doi.org/10.4040/jkan.2008.38.3.437
- Sitoh, Y., Lau, T., Zochling, J., Schwarz, J., Chen, J., March, L., et al. (2005). Determinants of health-related quality of life in institutionalised older persons in northern Sydney. Internal Medicine Journal, 35 , 131-134. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1445-5994.2004.00742.x
- Sohn, S. Y. (2009). Factors related to the health related quality of life in elderly women. Korean Journal of Women Health Nursing, 15, 99-107. https://doi.org/10.4069/kjwhn.2009.15.2.99
- Ware, J. J., & Sherbourne, C. (1992). The MOS 36-item shortform health survey (SF-36). I. Conceptual framework and item selection. Medical Care, 30 , 473-483. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005650-199206000-00002
- Yümin, E. T., Simsek, T. T., Sertel, M., Öztürk, A., & Yümin, M. (2011). The effect of functional mobility and balance on health-related quality of life (HRQoL) among elderly people living at home and those living in nursing home. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 52 , 180-184. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.archger.2010.10.027