- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
A Study on the Predictive Factors of Sexual Function in Women with Gynecologic Cancer
부인암 여성의 성기능 예측요인
- Park, Jeong-Sook (College of Nursing, Keimyung University) ;
- Jang, Soon-Yang (Department of Nursing, College of Health, Kyungwoon University)
- Received : 2012.05.08
- Accepted : 2012.06.08
- Published : 2012.06.30
Purpose: This study was to identify predictors of sexual function in gynecologic cancer patients. Methods: The participants were 154 patients treated at a university medical center in A city, Korea. The data collection was performed through a structured questionnaire from July to December, 2010. The instruments used in this study were Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI) perceived health status scale, Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status, body image, and depression. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, Mann-Whitney test, Kruskal-Wallis test and stepwise multiple regression with the SPSS 18.0. Results: The mean score of perceived health status was 8.42 and sexual function was 8.42. The lowest score among sexual function was lubrication. The scores of sexual function was significantly different by age, job, marital status, period after diagnosis of cancer and diagnosis. There were significant correlations between sexual function, perceived health status, ECOG performance, body image and depression. In multiple regression analysis, predictors were identified as ECOG performance, age, diagnosis and period after diagnosis of cancer (Adj.
- National Cancer Information Center. Cancer Fact and Figures. Available at: http://www.cancer.go.kr/ncic/cics_g/cics_g02/cics_g027/1649 336_6065.html [accessed on 10 June 2012].
- Lee HP. Recent Clinical Review: Annual report of gynecologic cancer registry program in Korea:1991-2004. Korean J Obstet Gynecol 2008; 51:1411-20.
- Bergmark K, Avall-Lundqvist E, Dickman PW, Henningsohn L, Steineck G. Vaginal changes and sexuality in women with a history of cervical cancer. N Engl J Med 1999;340:1383-9.
- Kim JW, Chung HH, Kang SB. Issues related to long-term gynecological cancer survivors. Korean J Obstet Gynecol 2006;49:997-1006.
- Jensen PT, Groenvold M, Klee MC, Thranov I, Peterson MA, Machin D. Longitudinal study of sexual function and vaginal changes after radiotherapy for cervical cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2003;56:937-49.
- Park MS. The relationship of the perceived health status with somatic symptoms, family related stress, spousal support and sexual satisfaction in the middle aged women. J Korean Acad Psychiatr Ment Health Nurs 2002;11:33-42.
- Carmack Taylor CL, Basen-Engquist K, Shinn EH, Bodurka DC. Predictors of sexual functioning in ovarian cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 2004; 22:881-9.
- Kim SN. A structural model for quality of life in women having hysterectomies. J Korean Acad Nurs 1999;29:161-73.
- Chang SB. An analytic study on influencing factors for sexual satisfaction in women who have had a hysterectomy [dissertation]. Seoul: Ewha Womans Univ.;1989.
- Chun NA. Structural equation modeling on sexual function in women with gynecologic cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2008;38:639-49.
- Lawston MP, Moss M, Fulcomer M, Kleban MH. A research and service oriented multilevel assessment instrument. J Gerontol 1982;37:91-9.
- Kim HJ, Park YS. Determinants of health promoting behavior in the elderly. J Korean Fund Nurs 1997;4:283-300.
- Park JS, Oh YJ. An analysis of cancer symptoms, perceived health status, and given nursing services for community dwelling cancer patients who are registered in a public health center. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2010;10: 48-58.
- Gwak MD, Suh SY. The assessment tools in palliative medicine. Korean J Hosp Palliat Care 2009;12:177-93.
- Jeong GH. Body image and depression in post-hystrectomy patients [dissertation]. Seoul: Ewha Womans Univ.;1988.
- Derogatis LR, Cleary PA. Factorial invariance across gender for the primary symptom dimensions of the SCL-90-R. Brit J Clin Psychol 1977; 16:347-56.
- Kim JH, Kim KI. The standardization study of symptom Checklist-90-Revision in Korea III. Mental Health Res 1984;2:279-311.
- Rosen R, Brown C, Heiman J, Leibllum S, Meston C, Shabsigh R, et al. The female sexual function index (FSFI): a multidimensional self-report instrument for the assessment of female sexual function. J Sex Marital Ther 2000;26:191-208.
- Kim HY, Park KS, Jung SJ, Lee JY, Ryu SB. Development of the Korean-version of Female Sexual Function Index (FSFI). Kor J Androl 2002;20: 50-6.
- Chun N, Park YS. Sexual functioning in women with gynecologic cancer. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2006;12:308-15.
- Lee BY, Jo HS, Kwon MS. Survey on quality of life, mental health and subjective health status of community dwelling cancer patients. J Korean Public Health Nurs 2010;24:49-60.
- Park YS, Han KJ, Hah YS, Song MS, Kim SJ, Chung CW, et al. Effects of telephone counseling on health and service satisfaction after discharge in gynecologic cancer women. Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2008;14:294-304.
- Kim YH, Lee JH. Relationships between side effects, depression and quality of sleep in gynecological caner patients undergoing chemotherapy. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2010;16:276-87.
- Lee EM. A Study of medical service utilization in patient with depression undergoing mastectomy and hysterectomy [dissertation]. Seoul: Korea Univ.;2009.
- Wiegel H, Meston C, Rosen R. The female sexual function index (FSFI): cross-validation and development of clinical cutoff scores. J Sex Marital Ther 2005;31:1-20.
- Kim SH, Jun EY, Lee WH. The factors influencing depression in patients with breast cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2006;6:133-42.
- Chun NM. Predictors of sexual desire, arousal, lubrication, orgasm, satisfaction, and pain in women with gynecologic cancer. J Korean Acad Nurs 2010;40:24-32.
- Kim HY, So HS, Chae MJ. Sexual function of breast cancer survivors and healthy women: a comparative study. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2009; 9:60-6.
- Greimel ER, Freidl W. Functioning in daily living and psychological well-being of female cancer patients. J Psychosom Obstet Gynaecol 2000;21: 25-30.
- Stewart DE, Wong F, Duff S, Melancon CH, Cheung AM. What dosen't kill you makes you stronger: an ovarian cancer survivor survey. J Gynecol Oncol 2001;83:537-42.