- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Impact of Uncertainty on Resilience in Cancer Patients
암환자의 질병에 대한 불확실성이 극복력에 미치는 영향에 관한 연구
- Cha, Kyung-Suk (Gachon University Gill Hospital) ;
- Kim, Kyung-Hee (Department of Nursing, Chung-Ang University)
- Received : 2012.05.01
- Accepted : 2012.06.07
- Published : 2012.06.30
Purpose: This study was designed to identify the impact of uncertainty degree and uncertainty appraisal on cancer patients resilience. Methods: A sample of 181 patients with cancer was recruited from a hospital in Incheon. Data were collected from May 20 to August 25, 2011. Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics, t-test, ANOVA, Pearson's correlation coefficient and multiple regression with the SPSS/WIN 12.0 program. Results: The resilience for cancer patients showed a significant relationship with uncertainty degree and uncertainty appraisal. The significant factors influencing resilience were uncertainty degree and uncertainty appraisal, they explained 26.5% of the variance. Conclusion: Patients with cancer were adversely affected by uncertaint which led to a negative effect on resilience. The result suggests that intervention programs to reduce the level of uncertainty among patients could improve the resilience of cancer patients.
- The Korea Central Cancer Registry, National Cancer Center. Annual report of cancer statistics in Korea in 2008, Ministry of Health and Welfare 2010.
- Vargens OM, Bertero CM. Living with breast cancer: its effect on the life situation and the close relationship of women in Brazil. Cancer Nurs 2007;30:471-8.
- Kim YJ, Lee KJ. Relationship of social support and meaning of life to suicidal thoughts in cancer patients. J Korean Acad Nurs 2010;40:524-32.
- Cappiello M, Cunningham RS, Knobf MT, Erdos D. Breast cancer survivors: information and support after treatment. Clin Nurs Res 2007;16: 278-93.
- Koo BJ. The development and effect of longotherapy-based resilience promotion program for gynecologic cancer women [dissertation]. Seoul: Korea Univ.;2008.
- Haase JE. The adolescent resilience model as a guide to intervensions. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs 2004;21:289-99.
- Kinsel B. Resilience as adaptation in older women. J Women Aging 2005; 17(3):23-39.
- Sammarco A, Konecny LM. Quality of life, social support, and uncertainty among Latina breast cancer survivors. Oncol Nurs Forum 2008; 35:844-9.
- Yang NY, Kim MJ. Concept analysis of uncertainity related to illness. J Korean Gerontol Nurs 2002;4:187-94.
- Mishel MH, Sorenson DS. Uncertainty and gynecological cancer: a test of the mediating function of mastery and coping. Nurs Res 1991;40:67-171.
- Lee EK, Ryu EJ, Kim KH. Structual equation modeling on adjustment of cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2011; 11:101-7.
- Ahn HJ, Tae YS, Han YI. The relationship between spiritual health and uncertainty in cancer patients having chemotherapy. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2007;7:107-18.
- Lee MS. A study on uncertainty and nursing need of cancer patients according to the phases of illness [dissertation]. Daegu:Kyungpook National Univ.;2005.
- Lee IS. Uncertainty, appraisal and quality of life in patients with breast cancer across treatment phases [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2005.
- Hong SK. Concept development of resilience: focusing on cancer patients. J Korean Acad Soc Nurs Edu 2009;15:109-19.
- Jean YE. Resilience on the therapeutic process of cancer patients who receive chemotherapy [dissertation]. Seoul:Korea Univ.;2008.
- Tegner I, Fox J, Philipp R, Thorne P. Evaluating the use of poetry to improve well-being and emotional resilience in cancer patients. J Poetry Ther 2009;22:121-31.
- Sammarco A. Perceived social support, uncertainty, and quality of life of younger breast cancer survivors. Cancer Nurs 2001;24:212-9.
- Yoo KH. An exploratory study of factors affecting on adaptation to uncertainty in rheumatoid arthritis patients. J Rheumatol Health 2001;8: 230-49.
- Yoo KH. A correlational study on uncertainty, mastery and appraisal of uncertainty in hospitalized children's mothers. J Korean Acad Nurs 2007; 37:594-602.
- Mishel MH. Uncertainty in illness. Image J Nurs Sch 1988;20:225-32.
- Chung CW, Kim MJ, Rhee MH, Do HG. Functional status and psychosocial adjustment in gynecologic cancer patients receiving chemotherapy. Korean J Women Health Nurs 2005;11:58-66.
- Wagnild GM, Young HM. Development and psychometric evaluation of resilience scale. J Nurs Meas 1993;1:165-78.
- Song YS. Determinants of resilience of the physically disabled at home [dissertation]. Busan:Kosin Univ.;2004.
- Cohen C. A power primer. Psychological Bulletin 1992;112:155-9.
- Koo JY. Uncertainty and quality of life in ostomates with colorectal cancer patients [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2008.
- Kim SE. The influence of preoperative uncertainty upon anxiety [dissertation]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.;2006.
- Mishel MH. Perceived uncertainty and stress in illness. Res Nurs Health 1984;7:163-71.
- Lee MJ. Uncertainty, appraisal of uncertainty and health-related quality of life in recovering clients discharged from hospital after CABG [dissertation]. Seoul:Ewha Womans Univ.;2009.
- Han MR. Resilience, social support, spirituality in wives of alcoholics. [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2004.