- Volume 12 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Performance Status and Quality Life of Patients with Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation According to Period of Survival
조혈모세포이식 후 생존기간에 따른 수행능력과 삶의 질
- Woo, Hyae-Deok (Yeungnam University Medical Center) ;
- Park, Jeong-Sook (College of Nursing, Keimyung University)
- Received : 2012.05.08
- Accepted : 2012.05.29
- Published : 2012.06.30
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to identify the performance status and quality of life (QOL) of patients after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) according to period of survival. Methods: Participants consists of 83 HSCT patients who were being treated regularly at out-patient clinic in two general hospitals in D city. Data were collected using questionnaires that were modified by Functional Assessment of Cancer Therapy-Bone Marrow Transplabtation (FACT-BMT) scale and Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG). Results: The unrelated HSCT group's survival period was significantly worse than related HSCT group and autologous HSCT group. Performance status of the group with more than 3 years survival was significantly higher than that of the group with less than a year survival. The mean score of total QOL of HSCT patients was 2.69 out of 4. Total QOL was not significantly different among period of survival less than 1 year, 1-3 years, and more than 3 years. But BMT QOL was shown that the group with more than 3 years survival was higher than the groups with less than a year survival. Conclusion: Performance status and BMT QOL of the group with less than 1 year survival was significantly lowered than the groups with more than 3 years survival.
- Kim JA. New therapeutic modalities on hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Korean J Med 2004;78:552-6.
- National Marrow Donor Program. 2010. Trends in allogeneic transplants. Available at: http://marrow.org/Physicians/Unrelated_Search_and_Transplant/Trends_in_Allo_Transplants.aspx [accessed on 9 December 2011].
- Lee JW, Kim CC. The activity of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in Korea. Bone Marrow Transplant 2008;42:92-5.
- Park JG, Park CI, Kim NK. Oncology. Seoul:Ilchokak;2009.
- Zittoun R, Suciu S, Watson M, Solbu G, Muus P, Mandelli F, et al. Quality of life in patients with acute myelogenous leukemia in prolonged first complete remission after bone marrow transplantation (allogeneic or autologous) or chemotherapy: a cross-sectional study of the ORTC-GIMEMA AML 8A trial. Bone Marrow Transplant 1997;20:307-15.
- Han SH. The effect of aerobic exercise program on health status and physical fitness in patients after the stem cell transplantation. Korean J Rehabil Nurs 2001;4:7-19.
- Kim YS. A path analysis model of health-related quality of life in patients with heart failure [dissertation]. Daegu:Kyungpook National Univ.; 2006.
- Sohn SK, Kim KH, Kim SH. Relationship between fatigue and functional status in patients with cancer. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2007;7:3-13.
- Hjermstad MJ, Knobel H, Brinch L, Fayers PM, Loge JH, Holte H, et al. A prospective study of health-related quality of life, fatigue, anxiety and depression 3-5 years after stem cell transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplant 2004;34:257-66.
- Bevans MF, Mitchell SA, Barrett AJ, Bishop M, Childs R, Fowler D, et al. Adjustment, quality of life symptoms (FAQS) in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) survivors: A study protocol. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2001;9:24-32.
- Song BY, Kang HR, Kim KS. Quality of Life in Patients with Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2008;8:40-9.
- Lee SG. An methodology research of the quality of life of the allogenic bone marrow transplantation survivors [dissertation]. Seoul:Seoul National Univ.;2001.
- Kang HR. Family environment, social support and quality of life of patients who had received hematopoietic stem cell transplantation [dissertation]. Seoul:Hanyang Univ.;2004.
- Bush NE, Haberman M, Donaldson G, Sullivan KM. Quality of life 125 adults surviving 6-18 years after bone marrow transplantation. Soc Sci & Med 1995;40:479-90.
- Kopp M, Holzner B, Meraner V, Sperner-Unterweger B, Kemmler G, Nguyen-Van-Tam DP, et al. Quality of life in adult hematopoietic cell transplant patients at least 5yr after treatment. a comparison with healthy controls. Eur J Haematol 2005;74:304-8.
- Song CW, Park JN, Cho SG, Lee JW, Hong YS, Min WS, et al. Results of IVAM chemotherapy in relapsed or refractory non- Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Korean J Med 2001;61:141-50.
- McGill JS, Paul PB. Functional status and hope in elderly people with and without cancer. Oncol Nurs Forum 1993;20:1207-13.
- Ferrans CE, Powers MJ. Psychometric assessment of the quality of life index. Res Nurs Health 1992;15:29-38.
- McQuellon RP, Russell GB, Cella DF, Craven BL, Brady M, Bonomi A, et al. Quality of life measurement in bone marrow transplantation: development of the functional assessment of cancer therapy-bone marrow transplantation (FACT-BMT) scale. Bone Marrow Transplant 1997;19: 357-68.
- National Cancer Information Center. 2010. Malignant lymphoma: Cancer stage. Available at:http://www.cancer.go.kr/ncic/cics_b/03/033/125 3978_5879.html [accessed on 9 December 2011].
- Kim EK. Health promotion behavior, stress and quality of life in gynecologic cancer patients [dissertation]. Daegu:Keimyung Univ.;2009.
- Yu MD. Educational needs and perceived understanding of treatment in patients with cancer [dissertation]. Seoul:Yonsei Univ.;2002.
- Kim EJ. Comparison of quality of life of autologous and allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation recipients. J Korean Oncol Nurs 2008;8:50-60.
- Syrjala KL, Langer SL, Abrams JR, Storer B, Sanders JE, Flowers ME, et al. Recovery and long-term function after hematopoietic cell transplantation for leukemia or lymphoma. JAMA 2004;291:2335-43.
- Messerer D, Engel J, Hasford J, Schaich M, Ehninger G, Sauerland C, et al. Impact of different post-remission strategies on quality of life in patients with acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica 2008;93:826-33.
- Lee SJ, Vogelsang G, Flower ME. Chronic graft-versus-host disease. Bone Marrow Transplant 2003;9:215-33.
- González-Vicent M, Molina B, Andión M, Sevilla J, Ramirez M, Pérez A, et al. Allogeneic hematopoietic transplantation using haploidentical donor vs. unrelated cord blood donor in pediatric patients: a single-center retrospective study. Eur J Haematol 2011;87:46-53.
- Lee SJ, Kim HT, Ho VT, Cutler C, Alyea EP, Soiffer R, et al. Quality of life associated with acute and chronic graft-versus-host disease. Bone Marrow Transplant 2006;38:305-10.
- Fall-Dickson JM, Mitchell SA, Marden S, Ramsay ES, Guadagnini JP, Wu T, et al. Oral symptom intensity, health-related quality of life, and correlative salivary cytokines in adult survivors of hematopoietic stem cell transplantation with oral chronic graft-versus-host disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2010;16:948-56.
- Popat U, de Lima MJ, Saliba RM, Anderlini P, Andersson BS, Alousi AM, et al. Long-term outcome of reduced-intensity allogeneic hematopoietic SCT in patients with AML in CR. Bone Marrow Transplant 2012;47: 212-6.