- Volume 37 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
PRELIMINARY ESTIMATION OF ACTIVATED CORROSION PRODUCTS IN THE COOLANT SYSTEM OF FUSION DEMO REACTOR
- Noh, Si-Wan (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Jai-Ki (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Shin, Chang-Ho (ITRS, Hanyang University) ;
- Kwon, Tae-Je (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Kim, Jong-Kyung (Department of Nuclear Engineering, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Young-Seok (National Fusion Research Institute)
- Received : 2012.03.30
- Accepted : 2012.04.14
- Published : 2012.06.30
The second phase of the national program for fusion energy development in Korea starts from 2012 for design and construction of the fusion DEMO reactor. Radiological assessment for the fusion reactor is one of the key tasks to assure its licensability and the starting point of the assessment is determination of the source terms. As the first effort, the activities of the coolant due to activated corrosion product (ACP) were estimated. Data and experiences from fission reactors were used, in part, in the calculations of the ACP concentrations because of lack of operating experience for fusion reactors. The MCNPX code was used to determine neutron spectra and intensities at the coolant locations and the FISPACT code was used to estimate the ACP activities in the coolant of the fusion DEMO reactor. The calculated specific activities of the most nuclides in the fusion DEMO reactor coolant were 2-15 times lower than those in the PWR coolant, but the specific activities of
- Kim HJ, Kim HC, Lee CS, Kwon M, Lee GS. Strategic plans for the fusion DEMO program of Korea. Fusion Sci. Technol. 2011;60(2):433-440. https://doi.org/10.13182/FST60-433
- Pelowitz DB. MCNPX 2.6.0 user's manual. LA-CP-07-1473. 2008.
- Forrest RA. FISPACT-2007: User manual. UKAEA FUS 534. 2007.
- Hazelton RF. Characteristics of fuel CRUD and its impact on storage, handling, and shipment of spent fuel. PNL-6273. 1987.
- Korea Hydro & Nuclear Power (KHNP) Co., LTD. Final safety analysis report for Younggwang Unit 5 & 6. 2000.
- Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, LTD. Design control document for the US-APWR, Chapter 12: Radiation Protection. MUAP-DC012. 2011.
- Polunovskiy E. D-T neutron emission rate for standard neutron source for ITER nuclear analysis with MCNP code. Tech. Rep. INAR-005, ITER. 2008.
- Cheon MS, Seon CR, Lee HG, Bertalot L, Forrest RA. Operational radioactivity evaluation of TIER diagnostic neutron activation system. IEEE T. Plasma Sci. 2010;38(3):274-277. https://doi.org/10.1109/TPS.2009.2036917
- Loughlin MJ, Nathan RP. Estimates of dose rates during the dismantling of JET. Radiat. Prot. Dosim. 2005;115(1-4): 486-490. https://doi.org/10.1093/rpd/nci054
- Pampin R, Karditsas PJ. Fusion power plant performance analysis using the HERCULES code. Fusion Eng. Des. 2006;81(8-14): 1231-1237. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fusengdes.2005.09.054
- Korean Ministry of Science and Technology. Development of the radiation field measurement and dose assessment technology at NPPs. iTRS/TR-2005-01. 2005.
- A Study on the Site Plot Plan and Building Schematics of a Fusion DEMO Plant vol.64, pp.3, 2013, https://doi.org/10.13182/FST13-A19138