- Volume 23 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Examining the Knowledge Structure in the Communication Field: Author Cocitation Analysis for the Editorial Board of the Journal of Communication, 2008 and 2011
Journal of Communication의 편집위원회에 대한 저자동시인용분석을 이용한 언론학 분야의 지적구조와 사회적 배경 분석: 2008년과 2011년 비교
- Kim, Hyun-Jung (Department of Communication, State University of New York at Buffalo)
- Received : 2012.05.18
- Accepted : 2012.06.14
- Published : 2012.06.30
This study examines the social network of scholars in the field of communication by using author cocitation data. A matrix containing the number of cocited documents between pairs of authors is created for social network analysis of scholars who are on the editorial board of Journal of Communication, and the networked map of the scholars is used to visualize the knowledge structure of the field by identifying groups of authors who are more central than others. In addition, the study compares the previous analysis performed in 2008 and the current analysis on the editorial board of the journal, which increased from 146 to 254 scholars in numbers. Author cocitation data was collected using Social Science Citation Index (SSCI) through the Web of Science database, and UCInet was used to create and visualize the author cocitation network and to analyze the correlation between the cocitation network and the factors that may have affected the structure of the cocitation network.
Author Cocitation Analysis;Social Network Analysis;Journal of Communication;Intellectual Structure;Network Map of Authors
- 김영준, 김채환. 2007. "국내언론학의 지적구조매핑 (mapping)에 관한 연구: 1989-2006년 저자 동시인용분석." 커뮤니케이션학연구, 15(3): 155-183.
- 김용학, 김영진, 김영석. 2008. "한국 언론학 분야 지식 생산과 확산의 구조." 한국언론학보, 52(1): 117-140.
- 김희전, 조현양. 2010. "저자동시인용분석과 저자서지 결합분석에 의한 지적구조분석: 사회복지학 분야를 중심으로." 정보관리학회지, 27(3): 283-306.
- 유종덕, 최은주. 2011. "저자프로파일링분석과 저자동시인용분석의 유용성 비교검증." 정보관리학회지, 28(1): 123-144.
- 전범수, 한상권. 2007. "한국 언론학 연구의 지식생산 연결망구조." 한국언론학보, 51(6): 197-215.
- Baccini, Alberto and Lucio Barabesi. 2011. "Seats at the table: The network of the editorial boards in information and library science." Journal of Informatics, 5(3): 382-391.
- Barnett, G.A. 2001. "A longitudinal analysis of the international telecommunication network, 1978-1996." American Behavioral Scientist, 44: 1638-1655. https://doi.org/10.1177/0002764201044010007
- Barnett, G.A. and Y. Choi. 1995. "Physical distance and language as determinants of the international telecommunications network." International Political Science Review, 16: 249-265. https://doi.org/10.1177/019251219501600305
- Barnett, G.A. and J. A. Danowski. 1992. "The structure of communication: A network analysis of the International Communication Association." Human Communication Research, 19(2): 264-285.
- Barnett, G.A. and E. L. Fink. 2008. "Impact of the Internet and scholar age distribution on academic citation age." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 59(4): 526-534. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.20706
- Barnett, G. A. and H.W. Park. 2005. "The structure of international Internet hyperlinks and bilateral bandwidth." Annales des te'le'communications, 60(9-10): 1110-1127.
- Barnett, G.A. and J.G.T. Salisbury. 1996. "Communication and globalization: A longitudinal analysis of the international telecommunication network." Journal of World System Research, 2(16): 1-17. https://doi.org/10.5195/JWSR.1996.78
- Barnett, G.A., J.G.T. Salisbury, C. Kim, and A. Langhorne. 1999. "Globalization and international communication: An examination of monetary, telecommunications, and trade networks." Journal of International Communication, 6(2): 7-49.
- Borgatti, S.P. 2005. "Centrality and network flow." Social Networks, 27: 55-71. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2004.11.008
- Brown, J.S. and P. Duguid. 1998. "Organizing knowledge." California Management Review, 40(1): 90-111. https://doi.org/10.2307/41165945
- Burgess, Thomas F. and Nicola E. Shaw. 2010. "Editorial board membership of management and business journals: A social network analysis study of the Financial Times 40." British Journal of Management, 21(3): 627-648. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8551.2010.00701.x
- Chang, T. and Z. Tai. 2005. "Mass communication research and the invisible college revisited: The changing landscape and emerging fronts in journalism-related studies." Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, 82(3): 672-694. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769900508200312
- Crane, D. 1972. Invisible Colleges: Diffusion of Knowledge in Scientific Communities. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Cronin, B. 1984. The Citation Process: The Role and Significance of Citations in Scientific Communication. London: Taylor Graham.
- Freeman, L.C. 1978/1979. "Centrality in social networks: Conceptual clarification." Social Networks, 1: 215-239.
- Freudenthal, G. 1984. "The role of shared knowledge in science: The failure of the constructivist programme in the sociology of science." Social Studies of Science, 14: 285-295. https://doi.org/10.1177/030631284014002010
- Fuchs, S. 1993. "A sociological theory of scientific change." Social Forces, 71(4, June): 933-953. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/71.4.933
- Garfield, E. 1965. "Can citation indexing be automated?" In Stevens M.E., V.E. Giuliano, and L.B. Heilprin (Eds.), Statistical Association Methods for Mechanized Documentation: Symposium Proceedings, 189-192, Washington, DC: National Bureau of Statistics.
- Garfield, E. 2004. "The unintended and unanticipated consequences of Robert K. Merton." Social Studies of Science, 34(6, December): 845-853. https://doi.org/10.1177/0306312704042087
- Granovetter, M.S. 1973. "The strength of weak ties." American Journal of Sociology, 78(6, May): 1360-1380. https://doi.org/10.1086/225469
- Griffith, B.C. 1989. "Understanding science: Studies of communication and information." Communication Research, 16(5): 600-614. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365089016005003
- Griffith, B.C. and N. C. Mullins. 1972. "Coherent social groups in scientific change." Science, New Series, 177(4053, September): 959-964.
- Haythornthwaite, C. 2002. "Strong, weak, and latent ties and the impact of new media." Information Society, 18(5): 385-401. https://doi.org/10.1080/01972240290108195
- Hess, D.J. 1997. Science Studies: An Advanced Introduction. New York and London: New York University Press.
- Kalish, Y. and G. Robins. 2006. "Psychological predispositions and network structure: The relationship between individual predispositions, structural holes and network closure." Social Networks, 28: 56-84. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socnet.2005.04.004
- Koku, E., N. Nazer, and B. Wellman. 2001. "Netting scholars." American Behavioral Scientist, 44(10, June): 1752-1774. https://doi.org/10.1177/00027640121958023
- Kuhn, T.S. 1962. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions, International Encyclopedia of Unified Science. Vol.2, No.2. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press.
- Kuhn, T.S. 1996. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions (3rd ed.). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
- Lee, S. 2008. Understanding the Nature of Citation: An Examination of Structure in Citation Analysis and itsApplication to Communication in the Information Age. Ph.D. Diss., State University of New York at Buffalo.
- Lievrouw, L.A. 1989. "The invisible college reconsidered: Bibliometrics and the development scientific communication theory." Communication Research, 16(5, October): 615-628. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365089016005004
- Malin, Bradley and Kathleen Carley. 2007. "A longitudinal social network analysis of the editorial boards of medical informatics and bioinformatics journals." Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, 14(3): 340-348. https://doi.org/10.1197/jamia.M2228
- Marion, L.S. 2002. "A tri-citation analysis exploring the citation image of Kurt Lewin." Proceedings of the ASIST Annual Meeting, 39: 3-13.
- Marion, L.S., E. Garfield, L.L. Hargens, L.A. Lievrouw, H.D. White, and C.S. Wilson. 2003. "Social network analysis and citation network analysis: Complementary approaches to the study of scientific communication." Proceedings of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 40(1): 486-487.
- McCain, K.W. 1986. "Cocited author mapping as a valid representation of intellectual structure." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 37(3): 111-122. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-4571(198605)37:3<111::AID-ASI2>3.0.CO;2-D
- McCain, K.W. 1989. "Mapping authors in intellectual space: Population genetics in the 1980s." Communication Research, 16(5, October): 667-681. https://doi.org/10.1177/009365089016005007
- McCain, K.W. 2009. "Using tricitation to dissect the citation image: Conrad Hal Waddington and the rise of evolutionary developmental biology." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 60(7): 1301-1319. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.21064
- Merton, R.K. 1942. "Science and technology in a democratic order." Journal of Legal and Political Sociology, 1: 115-126.
- Merton, R.K. 1996. "Multiple discoveries in science." In P. Sztompka (Ed.). On Social Structure and Science, 305-317. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press.
- Monge, P.R. and N.S. Contractor. 2003. Theories of Communication Networks. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press.
- Moody, J. 2004. "The structure of a social science collaboration network: Disciplinary cohesion from 1963 to 1999." American Sociological Review, 69(April): 213-238. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240406900204
- Moody, J. and D.R. White. 2003. "Structural cohesion and embeddedness: A hierarchical concept of social groups." American Sociological Review, 68(February): 103-127. https://doi.org/10.2307/3088904
- Paisley, W. 1972. "The role of invisible colleges in scientific information transfer." Educational Researcher, 1(4, April): 5-8+19.
- Park, H.W. and Loet Leydesdorff. 2009. "Knowledge linkage structures in communication studies using citation analysis among communication journals." Scientometrics, 81(1): 157-175. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11192-009-2119-y
- Popper, K. 1959. The Logic of Scientific Discovery. New York: Basic Books, Inc.
- Popper, K. 1965. Conjectures and Refutations: The Growth of Scientific Knowledge. New York: Basic Books, Inc.
- Price, D.J. de Solla. 1961. Science since Babylon. New Haven: Yale University Press.
- Price, D.J. de Solla. 1963. Little Science, Big Science. New York: Columbia University Press.
- Price, D.J. de Solla and D. Beaver. 1966. "Collaboration in an invisible college." American Psychologist, 21(11): 1011-1018. https://doi.org/10.1037/h0024051
- Rice, R.E., C.L. Borgman., and B. Reeves. 1988. "Citation networks of communication journals, 1977-1985: Cliques and positions, citations made and citations received." Human Communication Research, 15(2): 256-283. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1468-2958.1988.tb00184.x
- Rosen, D. 2009. "Productivity and performance in academic networks: Applications of liaison communication to Simmelian ties, structural holes, and degree centrality." Connections, 29(2): 32-43.
- Small, H. 1973. "Co-citation in the scientific literature: A new measure of the relationship between two documents." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 24(4): 265-269. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.4630240406
- Small, H. 1977. "A co-citation model of a scientific specialty: A longitudinal study of collagen research." Social Studies of Science, Theme Issue: Citation Studies of Scientific Specialties, 7(2): 139-166.
- Tankard, J.W. Jr., T. Chang, and K. Tsang. 1984. "Citation networks as indicators of journalism research activity." Journalism Quarterly, 61(Spring): 89-96. https://doi.org/10.1177/107769908406100112
- Tsuzuki, K. 2005. "Some conceptual problems of social capital: Tie, strength of tie and trust." Sociological Theory and Methods, 20(1): 81-95.
- Wasserman, S. and K. Faust. 1994. Social Network Analysis: Methods and Applications. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- White, H.D. 1981. "Cocited author retrieval online: An experiment with the social indicators literature." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 32(1): 16-21. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.4630320103
- White, H.D. 2003. "Author cocitation analysis and Pearson's r." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 54(13): 1250-1259. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.10325
- White, H.D. 2004. "Citation analysis and discourse analysis revisited." Applied Linguistics, 25(1): 89-116. https://doi.org/10.1093/applin/25.1.89
- White, H.D. and B.C. Griffith. 1981. "Author cocitation: A literature measure of intellectual structure." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 32(3): 163-171. https://doi.org/10.1002/asi.4630320302
- White, H.D. and K.W. McCain. 1989. "Bibliometrics." Annual Review of Information Science and Technology, 24: 119-186.
- White, H.D. and K.W. McCain. 1998. "Visualizing a discipline: An author co-citation analysis of information science, 1972-1995." Journal of the American Society for Information Science, 49(4): 327-355.
- White, H.D., B. Wellman, and N. Nazer. 2003. "Does citation reflect social structure?: Longitudinal evidence from the "Globenet" interdisciplinary research group." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Tehcnology, 55(2): 111-126.
- Yakubovich, V. 2005. "Weak ties, information, and influence: How workers find jobs in a local Russian labor market." American Sociological Review, 70(3): 408-421. https://doi.org/10.1177/000312240507000303
- Zuccala, A. 2004. "Modeling the invisible college." Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 57(2): 152-168.