- Volume 13 Issue 4
DOI QR Code
Expression and Significance of Microsomal Prostaglandin Synthase-1 (mPGES-1) and Beclin-1 in the Development of Prostate Cancer
- Xu, Lu-Wei (Department of Urology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Qian, Ming (Department of Urology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Jia, Rui-Peng (Department of Urology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Xu, Zheng (Department of Urology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Wu, Jian-Ping (Department of Urology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Li, Wen-Cheng (Department of Urology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Huang, Wen-Bin (Department of Pathology, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University) ;
- Chen, Xing-Guo (Center of Lab, Nanjing First Hospital Affiliated to Nanjing Medical University)
- Published : 2012.04.30
The aim of this study was to investigate the expression and significance of microsomal prostaglandin synthase-1 (mPGES-1) and Beclin-1 in the development of prostate cancer (PCa). Immunohistochemistry was performed on paraffin-embedded sections with rabbit polyclonal against mPGES-1 and Beclin-1 in 40 PCa, 40 benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) and 10 normal prostate specimens for this purpose. Quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qRT-PCR) was applied for mRNA expression of mPGES-1 and Beclin-1, while MTT assays were used to ascertain the best working concentration of the mPGES-1 inhibitor (CAY10526). The effect of CAY10526 treatment on expression of Beclin-1 in DU-145 cells was studied using Western blot analysis. Localization of Beclin-1 and mPGES-1 was in endochylema. Significant differences in expression was noted among PCa, BPH and normal issues (P<0.05). Beclin-1 expression inversely correlated with mPGES-1 expression in PCa tissue (P<0.05). CAY10526 could significantly block mPGES-1 expression and the proliferation of DU-145 cells (P<0.05), while increasing Beclin-1 levels (P<0.05). Overexpression of mPGES-1 could decrease the autophagic PCa cell death. Inhibiting the expression of mPGES-1 may lead to DU-145 cell death and up-regulation of Beclin-1. The results suggest that inhibition of mPGES-1 may have therapeutic potential for PCa in the future.
- Banning A, Florian S, Deubel S, et al (2008). GPx2 counteracts PGE2 production by dampening COX-2 and mPGES-1 expression in human colon cancer cells. Antioxid Redox Signal, 10, 1491-500. https://doi.org/10.1089/ars.2008.2047
- Beales IL, Ogunwobi OO (2010). Microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 inhibition blocks proliferation and enhances apoptosis in oesophageal adenocarcinoma cells without affecting endothelial prostacyclin production. Int J Cancer, 126, 2247-55.
- Bhutia SK, Dash R, Das SK, et al (2010). Mechanism of autophagy to apoptosis switch triggered in prostate cancer cells by antitumor cytokine melanoma differentiationassociated gene 7/interleukin-24. Cancer Res, 70, 3667-76. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-09-3647
- Cheng Y, Qiu F, Ye YC, et al (2009). Autophagy inhibits reactive oxygen species-mediated apoptosis via activating p38- nuclear factor-kappa B survival pathways in oridonin-treated murine fibrosarcoma L929 cells. FEBS J, 276, 1291-306. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1742-4658.2008.06864.x
- Cheng Y, Wang M, Yu Y, et al (2006). Cyclooxygenases, microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1, and cardiovascular function. J Clin Invest, 116, 1391-9. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI27540
- Ciechomska IA, Goemans GC, Skepper JN, Tolkovsky AM (2009). Bcl-2 complexed with Beclin-1 maintains full antiapoptotic function. Oncogene, 28, 2128-41. https://doi.org/10.1038/onc.2009.60
- Chen N, Karantza-Wadsworth V (2009). Role and regulation of autophagy in cancer. Biochim Biophys Acta, 1793, 1516-23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbamcr.2008.12.013
- Gao X, Zacharek A, Salkowski A, et al (1995). Loss of heterozygosity of the BRCA1 and other loci on chromosome 17q in human prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 55, 1002-5.
- Hanaka H, Pawelzik SC, Johnsen JI, et al (2009). Microsomal prostaglandin E synthase 1 determines tumor growth in vivo of prostate and lung cancer cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 106, 18757-62. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0910218106
- Hellerstedt BA, Pienta KJ (2002). The current state of hormonal therapy for prostate cancer. CA Cancer J Clin, 52, 154-79. https://doi.org/10.3322/canjclin.52.3.154
- Jakobsson PJ, Thoren S, Morgenstern R, Samuelsson B (1999). Identification of human prostaglandin E synthase:a microsomal, glutathione-dependent, inducible enzyme, constituting a potential novel drug target. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 96, 7220-5. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.96.13.7220
- Jain S, Chakraborty G, Raja R, Kale S, Kundu GC (2008). Prostaglandin E2 regulates tumor angiogenesis in prostate cancer. Cancer Res, 68, 7750-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-6689
- Jia RP, Xu LW, Su Q, et al (2008). Cyclooxygenase-2 expression is dependent upon epidermal growth factor receptor expression or activation in androgen independent prostate cancer. Asian J Androl, 10, 758-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1745-7262.2008.00423.x
- Kawata R, Hyo S, Araki M, Takenaka H (2010). Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 and microsomal prostagalandin E synthase-1 in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Auris Nasus Larynx, 37, 482-7. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anl.2009.11.009
- Lalier L, Cartron PF, Pedelaborde F, et al (2007). Increase in PGE2 biosynthesis induces a Bax dependent apoptosis correlated to patients' survival in glioblastoma multiforme. Oncogene, 26, 4999-5009. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.onc.1210303
- Lau KM, LaSpina M, Long J, Ho SM (2000). Expression of estrogen receptor (ER)-alpha and ER-beta in normal and malignant prostatic epithelial cells: regulation by methylation and involvement in growth regulation. Cancer Res, 60, 3175-82.
- Lee LM, Pan CC, Cheng CJ, Chi CW, Liu TY (2001). Expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in prostate adenocarcinoma and benign prostatic hyperplasia. Anticancer Res, 21, 1291-4.
- Liang XH, Kleeman LK, Jiang HH, et al (1998). Protection against fatal Sindbis virus encephalitis by beclin, a novel Bcl-2-interacting protein. J Virol, 72, 8586-96.
- Lian J, Karnak D, Xu L (2010). The Bcl-2-Beclin 1 interaction in (-)-gossypol-induced autophagy versus apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. Autophagy, 6, 1201-3. https://doi.org/10.4161/auto.6.8.13549
- Lian J, Wu X, He F, et al (2011). A natural BH3 mimetic induces autophagy in apoptosis-resistant prostate cancer via modulating Bcl-2-Beclin1 interaction at endoplasmic reticulum. Cell Death Differ, 18, 60-71. https://doi.org/10.1038/cdd.2010.74
- Liu B, Cheng Y, Zhang B, Bian HJ, Bao JK (2009). Polygonatum cyrtonema lectin induces apoptosis and autophagy in human melanoma A375 cells through a mitochondria-mediated ROS-p38-p53 pathway. Cancer Lett, 275, 54-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.canlet.2008.09.042
- Madaan S, Abel PD, Chaudhary KS, et al (2000). Cytoplasmic induction and over-expression of cyclooxygenase-2 in human prostate cancer: implications for prevention and treatment. BJU Int, 86, 736-41.
- Miracco C, Cosci E, Oliveri et al (2007). Protein and mRNA expression of autophagy gene Beclin 1 in human brain tumours. Int J Oncol, 30, 429-36.
- Myung SJ, Kim IH (2008). Role of prostaglandins in colon cancer. Korean J Gastroenterol, 51, 274-9.
- Murakami M, Naraba H, Tanioka T, et al (2000). Regulation of prostaglandin E2 biosynthesis by inducible membraneassociated prostaglandin E2 synthase that acts in concert with cyclooxygenase-2. J Biol Chem, 275, 32783-92. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M003505200
- Nakanishi M, Montrose DC, Clark P, et al (2008). Genetic deletion of mPGES-1 suppresses intestinal tumorigenesis. Cancer Res, 68, 3251-9. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-07-6100
- Nakanishi M, Gokhale V, Meuillet EJ, Rosenberg DW (2010). mPGES-1 as a target for cancer suppression:A comprehensive invited review "Phospholipase A2 and lipid mediators". Biochimie, 92, 660-4. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biochi.2010.02.006
- Pattingre S, Levine B (2006). Bcl-2 inhibition of autophagy:a new route to cancer? Cancer Res, 66, 2885-8. https://doi.org/10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-4412
- Pecchi E, Dallaporta M, Jean A, Thirion S, Troadec JD (2008). mPGES-1 knock-out mice are resistant to cancer-induced anorexia despite the absence of central mPGES-1 upregulation in wild-type anorexic mice. J Neuroimmunol, 199, 104-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneuroim.2008.05.012
- Qu X, Yu J, Bhagat G, et al (2003). Promotion of tumorigenesis by heterozygous disruption of the beclin 1 autophagy gene. J Clin Invest, 112, 1809-20. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI20039
- Rask K, Zhu Y, Wang W, Hedin L, Sundfeldt K (2006). Ovarian epithelial cancer:a role for PGE2-synthesis and signalling in malignant transformation and progression. Mol Cancer, 5, 62.
- Samuelsson B, Morgenstern R, Jakobsson PJ (2007). Membrane prostaglandin E synthase-1, a novel therapeutic target. Pharmacol Rev, 59, 207-24. https://doi.org/10.1124/pr.59.3.1
- Smith MR, Manola J, Kaufman DS, et al (2006). Celecoxib versus placebo for men with prostate cancer and a rising serum prostate-specific antigen after radical prostatectomy and/or radiation therapy. J Clin Oncol, 24, 2723-8. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2005.03.7804
- Srivastava JK, Pandey M, Gupta S (2009). Chamomile, a novel and selective COX-2 inhibitor with anti-inflammatory activity. Life Sci, 85, 663-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lfs.2009.09.007
- Takasu S, Tsukamoto T, Cao XY, et al (2008). Roles of cyclooxygenase-2 and microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 expression and beta-catenin activation in gastric carcinogenesis in N-methyl-N-nitrosourea-treated K19- C2mE transgenic mice. Cancer Sci, 99, 2356-64. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2008.00983.x
- Wang M, Zukas AM, Hui Y, et al (2006). Deletion of microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 augments prostacyclin and retards atherogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 103, 14507-12. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0606586103
- Wingo PA, Cardinez CJ, Landis SH, et al (2003). Long-term trends in cancer mortality in the United States, 1930-1998. Cancer, 97, 3133-275. https://doi.org/10.1002/cncr.11380
- Wu D, Mennerich D, Arndt K, et al (2009). Comparison of microsomal prostaglandin E synthase-1 deletion and COX-2 inhibition in acute cardiac ischemia in mice. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat, 90, 21-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prostaglandins.2009.06.006
- Prognostic Value of T Cell Immunoglobulin Mucin-3 in Prostate Cancer vol.14, pp.6, 2013, https://doi.org/10.7314/APJCP.2013.14.6.3897
- PGE2 signaling and its biosynthesis-related enzymes in cholangiocarcinoma progression vol.35, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1007/s13277-014-2021-y
- Autophagy: Detection, regulation and its role in cancer and therapy response vol.90, pp.8, 2014, https://doi.org/10.3109/09553002.2014.907932
- mPGES-1 in prostate cancer controls stemness and amplifies epidermal growth factor receptor-driven oncogenicity vol.22, pp.4, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1530/ERC-15-0277
- Chemoresistance is associated with Beclin-1 and PTEN expression in epithelial ovarian cancers pp.1792-1082, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3892/ol.2015.2950