- Volume 6 Issue 3
This study was conducted to identify dietary factors that may affect the occurrence of gastric cancer in Koreans. Preoperative daily nutrition intake and diet quality of patients diagnosed with gastric cancer were evaluated. Collected data were comparatively analyzed by gender. The results were then used to prepare basic materials to aid in the creation of a desirable postoperative nutrition management program. The subjects of this study were 812 patients (562 men and 250 women) who were diagnosed with gastric cancer and admitted for surgery at Soonchunhyang University Hospital between January 2003 and December 2010. Nutrition intake and diet quality were evaluated by the 24-hr recall method, the nutrient adequacy ratio, mean adequacy ratio (MAR), nutrient density (ND), index of nutritional quality (INQ), dietary variety score (DVS), and dietary diversity score (DDS). The rate of skipping meals and eating fast, alcohol consumption, and smoking were significantly higher in males than those in females. The levels of energy, protein, fat, carbohydrate, phosphorous, sodium, potassium, vitamin
Gastric cancer;dietary habit;nutrient intake;diet quality
- Kim M, Kim J, Bae W, Kim S, Lee Y, Na W, Sohn C. Relationship between nutrients intakes, dietary quality, and serum concentrations of inflammatory markers in metabolic syndrome patients. Korean J Community Nutr 2011;16:51-61. https://doi.org/10.5720/kjcn.2011.16.1.51
- Lim HJ, Woo MH, Moon SK, Choue R. Comparative study of diabetes mellitus patients with cerebral infarction or without cerebral infarction -focused on nutrient intakes and dietary quality-. Korean J Nutr 2008;41:621-33.
- Kim BS, Kim YY, Park JH, Kim NI, Choue RW. Effects of medical nutrition therapy on dietary quality, plasma fatty acid composition and immune parameters in atopic dermatitis patients. Korean J Community Nutr 2008;13:80-90.
- Lee JY, An TB, Jeon BS, Kim YY, Choue RW. Nutrients intake and dietary quality of Korean Parkinson's disease patients according to the duration of disease. Korean J Community Nutr 2008;13:582-91.
- Korean Gastric Cancer Association Information Committee. Nationwide Survey of Gastric Cancer in Korea. Seoul; 2009.
- Yang EJ, Kim WY. A study on dietary factors related to the incidence of stomach cancer and colon cancer in Korean. Korean J Nutr 1993;26:603-14.
- Jo DH, Jeong O, Sun JW, Jeong MR, Ryu SY, Park YK. Feasibility study of early oral intake after gastrectomy for gastric carcinoma. J Gastric Cancer 2011;11:101-8. https://doi.org/10.5230/jgc.2011.11.2.101
- Kubo M, Sano T, Fukagawa T, Katai H, Sasako M. Increasing body mass index in Japanese patients with gastric cancer. Gastric Cancer 2005;8:39-41. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10120-004-0304-5
- Yoshikawa K, Shimada M, Kurita N, Iwata T, Nishioka M, Morimoto S, Miyatani T, Komatsu M, Mikami C, Kashihara H. Visceral fat area is superior to body mass index as a predictive factor for risk with laparoscopy-assisted gastrectomy for gastric cancer. Surg Endosc 2011;25:3825-30. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-011-1798-7
- Murphy PM, Blackshaw GR, Paris HJ, Edwards P, Barry JD, Lewis WG. Prospective evaluation of nutritional status related to body mass indices and outcomes after modified D2 gastrectomy for carcinoma. Clin Nutr 2004;23:477-83. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clnu.2003.07.009
- Yoon EY. Dietary risk factors of gastric cancer & nutrition intervention. Korean J Community Nutr 2004;9:353-65.
- Huerta JM, Navarro C, Chirlaque MD, Tormo MJ, Steindorf K, Buckland G, Carneiro F, Johnsen NF, Overvad K, Stegger J, Tjønneland A, Boutron-Ruault MC, Clavel-Chapelon F, Morois S, Boeing H, Kaaks R, Rohrmann S, Vigl M, Lagiou P, Trichopoulos D, Trichopoulou A, Bas Bueno-de-Mesquita H, Monninkhof EM, Numans ME, Peeters PH, Mattiello A, Pala V, Palli D, Tumino R, Vineis P, Agudo A, Ardanaz E, Arriola L, Molina-Montes E, Rodríguez L, Lindkvist B, Manjer J, Stenling R, Lund E, Crowe FL, Key TJ, Khaw KT, Wareham NJ, Jenab M, Norat T, Romaguera D, Riboli E, González CA. Prospective study of physical activity and risk of primary adenocarcinomas of the oesophagus and stomach in the EPIC (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and nutrition) cohort. Cancer Causes Control 2010;21:657-69. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9493-x
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Dietary Reference Intakes for Koreans, 1st revision. Seoul; 2010.
- Korea Health Industry Development Institute. National Food & Nutrition Statics: Based on 2008 Korean National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Cheongwon; 2010.
- Bravi F, Scotti L, Bosetti C, Bertuccio P, Negri E, La Vecchia C. Dietary fiber and stomach cancer risk: a case-control study from Italy. Cancer Causes Control 2009;20:847-53. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10552-009-9309-z
- Kang I, Kim YS, Kim C. Mineral deficiency in patients who have undergone gastrectomy. Nutrition 2007;23:318-22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nut.2006.05.016
- Hu J, La Vecchia C, de Groh M, Negri E, Morrison H, Mery L; Canadian Cancer Registries Epidemiology Research Group. Dietary cholesterol intake and cancer. Ann Oncol 2012;23:491-500. https://doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr155
- Azadbakht L, Mirmiran P, Azizi F. Dietary diversity score is favorably associated with the metabolic syndrome in Tehranian adults. Int J Obes (Lond) 2005;29:1361-7. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0803029
- Jung KW, Park S, Kong HJ, Won YJ, Boo YK, Shin HR, Park EC, Lee JS. Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007. J Korean Med Sci 2010;25:1113-21. https://doi.org/10.3346/jkms.2010.25.8.1113
- Forman D, Burley VJ. Gastric cancer: global pattern of the disease and an overview of environmental risk factors. Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 2006;20:633-49. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bpg.2006.04.008
- Shin CM, Kim N, Yang HJ, Cho SI, Lee HS, Kim JS, Jung HC, Song IS. Stomach cancer risk in gastric cancer relatives: interaction between Helicobacter pylori infection and family history of gastric cancer for the risk of stomach cancer. J Clin Gastroenterol 2010;44:e34-9. https://doi.org/10.1097/MCG.0b013e3181a159c4
- Steevens J, Schouten LJ, Goldbohm RA, van den Brandt PA. Alcohol consumption, cigarette smoking and risk of subtypes of oesophageal and gastric cancer: a prospective cohort study. Gut 2010;59:39-48. https://doi.org/10.1136/gut.2009.191080
- Liu C, Russell RM. Nutrition and gastric cancer risk: an update. Nutr Rev 2008;66:237-49. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1753-4887.2008.00029.x
- Navarro Silvera SA, Mayne ST, Risch HA, Gammon MD, Vaughan T, Chow WH, Dubin JA, Dubrow R, Schoenberg J, Stanford JL, West AB, Rotterdam H, Blot WJ. Principal component analysis of dietary and lifestyle patterns in relation to risk of subtypes of esophageal and gastric cancer. Ann Epidemiol 2011;21:543-50. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2010.11.019
- Peleteiro B, Lopes C, Figueiredo C, Lunet N. Salt intake and gastric cancer risk according to Helicobacter pylori infection, smoking, tumour site and histological type. Br J Cancer 2011;104:198-207. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.bjc.6605993
- Suh SW, Koo BK, Choi YH, Lee HS. The nutritional intakes of the stomach cancer patients in the Daegu and Gyeongbuk areas, Korea. Korean J Community Nutr 2003;8:202-19.
- Youm PY, Kim SH. A case-control study on dietary and other factors related to stomach cancer incidence. Korean J Nutr 1998;31:62-71.
- Kim J, Park S, Nam BH. Gastric cancer and salt preference: a population-based cohort study in Korea. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;91:1289-93. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2009.28732
- Pham TM, Fujino Y, Kikuchi S, Tamakoshi A, Matsuda S, Yoshimura T. Dietary patterns and risk of stomach cancer mortality: the Japan collaborative cohort study. Ann Epidemiol 2010;20:356-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annepidem.2010.02.002
- Kim J, Kang M, Lee JS, Inoue M, Sasazuki S, Tsugane S. Fermented and non-fermented soy food consumption and gastric cancer in Japanese and Korean populations: a meta-analysis of observational studies. Cancer Sci 2011;102:231-44. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2010.01770.x
- The effect of dietary intake changes on nutritional status in acute leukaemia patients after first induction chemotherapy vol.24, pp.4, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1111/ecc.12262
- Diet quality among Iranian adolescents needs improvement vol.18, pp.04, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1017/S1368980014000767
- Comparison of Calcium Intake Status by Region and Socioeconomic Status in Korea: The 2011-2013 Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey vol.22, pp.3, 2015, https://doi.org/10.11005/jbm.2015.22.3.119
- Usability of a smartphone food picture app for assisting 24-hour dietary recall: a pilot study vol.9, pp.2, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4162/nrp.2015.9.2.207
- The Association Between Index of Nutritional Quality (INQ) and Glioma and Evaluation of Nutrient Intakes of These Patients: A Case-Control Study vol.70, pp.2, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1080/01635581.2018.1412469
Supported by : Soonchunhyang University