- Volume 6 Issue 3
DOI QR Code
Effects of adlay, buckwheat, and barley on transit time and the antioxidative system in obesity induced rats
- Kim, Jung-Yun (Department of Food and Nutrition, Bucheon University) ;
- Son, Bo-Kyung (Department of Food and Nutrition, Hanyang University) ;
- Lee, Sang-Sun (Department of Food and Nutrition, Hanyang University)
- Received : 2012.01.12
- Accepted : 2012.05.24
- Published : 2012.06.30
In the present study, we examined whether four grains including adlay (AD), buckwheat (BW), glutinous barley (GB), and white rice (WR) affect the duration of food residence in the gastrointestinal tract and hepatic enzyme activities in rats fed different combinations of the grains. The rats were raised for 4 weeks on a high fat diet based on the American Institute of Nutrition-93 (AIN-93G) diets containing 1% cholesterol and 20% dietary lipids. Forty male rats were divided into four groups and raised for 4 weeks with a diet containing one of the grains. Corresponding to the dietary fiber contents of the experimental grains, gut transit time was shortest in the rats fed GB and increased in the order of BW, AD, and WR. In addition, the accumulated shortest transit time occurred in the GB group. Gut transit time affected weight gain and major organ weight, as it was closely related to the absorption of nutrients. The level of thiobarbituric acid reactive substance (TBARS) in liver was higher in rats fed WR, AD, BW, and GB, indicating that the other grains decreased oxidative stress in vivo more than WR. Glutathione, glutathione peroxidase, and glutathione S-transferase levels in the AD, BW, and GB groups were significantly higher than those in the WR group. In conclusion, reduced colonic transit time has been implicated in reducing the incidence of colon cancer, as evidenced by populations consuming diets rich in fiber. Whole grains such as AD, BW, and GB may contribute to a significant supply of antioxidants to prevent oxidative stress if they are consumed in large amounts.
- Yu YT, Lu TJ, Chiang MT, Chiang W. Physicochemical properties of water-soluble polysaccharide enriched fractions of adlay and their hypolipidemic effect in hamsters. J Food Drug Anal 2005;13:361-7.
- Wu TT, Charles AL, Huang TC. Determination of the contents of the main biochemical compounds of Adlay (Coxi lachrymaljobi). Food Chem 2007;104:1509-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.02.027
- Huang BW, Chiang MT, Yao HT, Chiang W. The effect of adlay oil on plasma lipids, insulin and leptin in rat. Phytomedicine 2005;12:433-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2004.02.010
- Hung PV, Morita N. Distribution of phenolic compounds in the graded flours milled from whole buckwheat grains and their antioxidant capacities. Food Chem 2008;109:325-31. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2007.12.060
- Holasova M, Fiedlerova V, Smrcinova H, Orsak M, Lachman J, Vavreinova S. Buckwheat-the source of antioxidant activity in functional foods. Food Res Int 2002;35:207-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0963-9969(01)00185-5
- Behall KM, Scholfield DJ, Hallfrisch J. Diets containing barley significantly reduce lipids in mildly hypercholesterolemic men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 2004;80:1185-93. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/80.5.1185
- Behall KM, Scholfield DJ, Hallfrisch J. Lipids significantly reduced by diets containing barley in moderately hypercholesterolemic men. J Am Coll Nutr 2004;23:55-62. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2004.10719343
- Granfeldt Y, Liljeberg H, Drews A, Newman R, Bjorck I. Glucose and insulin responses to barley products: influence of food structure and amylose-amylopectin ratio. Am J Clin Nutr 1994;59:1075-82. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/59.5.1075
- Slavin JL, Jacobs D, Marquart L, Wiemer K. The role of whole grains in disease prevention. J Am Diet Assoc 2001;101:780-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0002-8223(01)00194-8
- Fardet A, Rock E, Remesy C. Is the in vitro antioxidant potential of whole-grain cereals and cereal products well reflected in vivo? J Cereal Sci 2008;48:258-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcs.2008.01.002
- Sharathchandra JNN, Kalpana P, Srinivasan K. Digestive enzymes of rat pancreas and small intestine in response to orally administered mint (Mentha Spicata) leaf and garlic (Allium Sativum) oil. Indian J Pharmacol 1995;27:156-60.
- Reeves PG. Components of the AIN-93 diets as improvements in the AIN-76A diet. J Nutr 1997;127:838S-841S. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/127.5.838S
- The Korean Nutrition Society. Food Value: Nutrient Composition Table for Foods. Seoul; 2009.
- Saito M, Kubo K. Relationship between tissue lipid peroxidation and peroxidizability index after alpha-linolenic, eicosapentaenoic, or docosahexaenoic acid intake in rats. Br J Nutr 2003;89:19-28. https://doi.org/10.1079/BJN2002731
- Sinnhuber RO, Yu TC. 2-Thiobarbituric acid method for the measurement of rancidity in fishery products. II: The quantitative determination of malonaldehyde. Food Technol 1957;12:9-12.
- Bradford MM. A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal Biochem 1976;72:248-54. https://doi.org/10.1016/0003-2697(76)90527-3
- Ragaee S, Abdel-Aal el-SM, Noaman M. Antioxidant activity and nutrient composition of selected cereals for food use. Food Chem 2006;98:32-8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2005.04.039
- Bosaeus I. Fibre effects on intestinal functions (diarrhoea, constipation and irritable bowel syndrome). Clin Nutr Suppl 2004;1:33-8.
- Cummings JH. Constipation, dietary fibre and the control of large bowel function. Postgrad Med J 1984;60:811-9. https://doi.org/10.1136/pgmj.60.709.811
- Lewis SJ, Heaton KW. Roughage revisited: the effect on intestinal function of inert plastic particles of different sizes and shape. Dig Dis Sci 1999;44:744-8. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1026613909403
- Ling WH, Cheng QX, Ma J, Wang T. Red and black rice decrease atherosclerotic plaque formation and increase antioxidant status in rabbits. J Nutr 2001;131:1421-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/131.5.1421
- Ling WH, Wang LL, Ma J. Supplementation of the black rice outer layer fraction to rabbits decreases atherosclerotic plaque formation and increases antioxidant status. J Nutr 2002;132:20-6. https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/132.1.20
- Perez-Jimenez J, Saura-Calixto F. Literature data may underestimate the actual antioxidant capacity of cereals. J Agric Food Chem 2005;53:5036-40. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf050049u
- Liyana-Pathirana CM, Shahidi F. Importance of insoluble-bound phenolics to antioxidant properties of wheat. J Agric Food Chem 2006;54:1256-64. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf052556h
- Baublis AJ, Lu C, Clydesdale FM, Decker EA. Potential of wheat-based breakfast cereals as a source of dietary antioxidants. J Am Coll Nutr 2000;19:308S-311S. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2000.10718965
- Nagah AM, Seal CJ. In vitro procedure to predict apparent antioxidant release from wholegrain foods measured using three different analytical methods. J Sci Food Agric 2005;85:1177-85. https://doi.org/10.1002/jsfa.2106
- Miller HE, Rigelhof F, Marquart L, Prakash A, Kanter M. Antioxidant content of whole grain breakfast cereals, fruits and vegetables. J Am Coll Nutr 2000;19:312S-319S. https://doi.org/10.1080/07315724.2000.10718966
- Kim JY, Do MH, Lee SS. The effects of a mixture of brown and black rice on lipid profiles and antioxidant status in rats. Ann Nutr Metab 2006;50:347-53. https://doi.org/10.1159/000094298
- Wu X, Beecher GR, Holden JM, Haytowitz DB, Gebhardt SE, Prior RL. Lipophilic and hydrophilic antioxidant capacities of common foods in the United States. J Agric Food Chem 2004;52:4026-37. https://doi.org/10.1021/jf049696w
- Read NW. Dietary fibre and bowl transit. In: Vahouny GV, Kritchevsky D, editors. Dietary Fiber-Basic and Clinical Aspects. New York: Plenum Press; 1986. p.81-100.
- New Research Progress of Active Ingredients in Job’s Tears vol.04, pp.03, 2015, https://doi.org/10.12677/HJFNS.2015.43012
- Effect of a barley-vegetable soup on plasma carotenoids and biomarkers of cardiovascular disease vol.57, pp.1, 2015, https://doi.org/10.3164/jcbn.15-11
- on Serum Lipid Profile and Fat Tissue Accumulation in Rats Fed a High-Fat Diet vol.81, pp.7, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1111/1750-3841.13335
- The Effects of Moderate Whole Grain Consumption on Fasting Glucose and Lipids, Gastrointestinal Symptoms, and Microbiota vol.9, pp.2, 2017, https://doi.org/10.3390/nu9020173
- Characteristics of three typical Chinese highland barley varieties: Phenolic compounds and antioxidant activities pp.01458884, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1111/jfbc.12488