- Volume 42 Issue 2
DOI QR Code
Imaging characteristics of diffuse large cell extra nodal non-Hodgkin's lymphoma involving the palate and maxillary sinus: a case report
- Nadendla, Lakshmi Kavitha (Department of Oral and Medicine and Radiology, Kamineni Institute of Dental Sciences) ;
- Meduri, Venkateswarlu (Department of Oral and Medicine and Radiology, Kamineni Institute of Dental Sciences) ;
- Paramkusam, Geetha (Department of Oral and Medicine and Radiology, Kamineni Institute of Dental Sciences)
- Received : 2012.01.09
- Accepted : 2012.03.09
- Published : 2012.06.30
Non-Hodgkin's lymphomas are a group of highly diverse malignancies and have a strong tendency to affect organs and tissues that do not ordinarily contain lymphoid cells. Primary extra nodal lymphoma of the hard palate is rare. Here, we present a case of diffuse large B cell lymphoma in a 60-year-old male patient that manifested as slightly painful ulcerated growth on the edentulous right maxillary alveolar ridge extending onto the palate, closely resembling carcinoma of the alveolar ridge. Computed tomography images showed the involvement of the maxillary sinus and right nasal cavity, along with destruction of hard palate, superiorly extending into the orbit. This case report highlights the importance of imaging to evaluate the exact extent of such large malignant lesions, which is essential for treatment planning.
- Jayakrishnan R, Thomas G, Kumar A, Nair R. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the hard palate. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2008; 12 : 85-7. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-029X.44586
- Dalirsani Z, Mohtasham N. T-cell lymphoma of palate with nose and maxillary sinus involvement: a case report. Iran J Med Sci 2010; 35 : 254-8.
- Ueda F, Suzuki M, Matsui O, Minato H, Furukawa M. MR findings of nine cases of palatal tumor. Magn Reson Med Sci 2005; 4 : 61-7. https://doi.org/10.2463/mrms.4.61
- Teh CS, Chong SY. An unusual presentation of lymphoma of the head and neck region. Med J Malaysia 2011; 66 : 264-5.
- Villa A, Mariani U, Villa F. T-cell lymphoma of the oral cavity: a case report. Aust Dent J 2010; 55 : 203-6. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1834-7819.2010.01212.x
- Vaswani B, Shah M, Shah PM, Parikh BJ, Anand AS, Sharma G. Non hodgkin's lymphoma of tongue - a case report. Indian J Med Paediatr Oncol 2008; 29 : 59-61. https://doi.org/10.4103/0971-5851.51448
- Zagolski O, Dwivedi RC, Subramanian S, Kazi R. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the sino-nasal tract in children. J Cancer Res Ther 2010; 6 : 5-10. https://doi.org/10.4103/0973-1482.63553
- Maheshwari GK, Baboo HA, Shah NM, Patel MH, Shah R. Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the oral tongue. Turk J Cancer 2001; 31 : 121-4.
- Essadi I, Ismaili N, Tazi E, Elmajjaoui S, Saidi A, Ichou M, et al. Primary lymphoma of the head and neck: two case reports and review of the literature. Cases J 2008; 1 : 426. https://doi.org/10.1186/1757-1626-1-426
- Park YM, Cho JH, Cho JY, Huh JS, Ahn JY. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the sphenoid sinus presenting as isolated oculomotor nerve palsy. World J Surg Oncol 2007; 5 : 86. https://doi.org/10.1186/1477-7819-5-86
- Al-Hakeem DA, Fedele S, Carlos R, Porter S. Extra nodal NK/ T-cell lymphoma, nasal type. Oral Oncol 2007; 43 : 4-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.oraloncology.2006.03.011
- Chalastras T, Elefteriadou A, Giotakis J, Soulandikas K, Korres S, Ferekidis E, et al. Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of nasal cavity and paranasal sinuses. A clinicopathological and immunhistochemical study. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2007; 27 : 6-9.