- Volume 39 Issue 1
DOI QR Code
Analysis on the relationship between Hanwoo brands' growth and marketing margin
한우브랜드의 성장과 유통마진의 관계 분석
- Koo, Bon-Chul (Dept. of Food & Resource Economics, Graduate School, Yeungnam University) ;
- Park, Jae-Hong (Dept. of Food & Resource Economics, Yeungnam University)
- Received : 2011.12.26
- Accepted : 2012.03.23
- Published : 2012.03.31
Hanwoo, Korean cattle, is traditionally an important livestock to farmers and also important meat to consumers. Recently, to make more efficient production system and provide cheaper and high-quality hanwoo meat, the scale-up via brand is emphasized. However, the price of hanwoo is getting higher and the price increase is considered to occur due to marketing margins in the distribution process. In this study, factors affecting the hanwoo marketing margin are analyzed using 2004-2009 monthly data. In the Cochrane-Orcutt estimation of marketing margin, hanwoo production, other domestic production and import, income, output index, market share of major retailers, and market share of hanwoo brands shows statistical significance in the result. The results shows basic factors of the marketing margins to hanwoo and gives some implications to the management system of hanwoo brand like a sophisticated market segmentation and a differentiated promotion.
- Ahn PR, Ro CY, Kim DH. 2005. An analysis of consumer`s satisfaction for environmentally friendly agricultural products in Gwangju. Korean Journal of Food Marketing Economics. 22(4): 109-122. [in Korean]
- Choe SC, Han SI, Sin HS. 2003. Strategic cooperative coordination in Hanwoo brand market. Korean Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy 30(4): 617-639. [in Korean]
- Huh GH. 1985. Systemization of survey method on marketing margin of agro-fishery products. Journal of Rural Development 8(4): 113-121. [in Korean]
- Jeon CG. 1985. Study on changes of marketing margins and marketing channel of main fresh produce. Journal of Rural Development 17(1): 57-69. [in Korean]
- Jeong KS, Lee SK. 2011. The cause of changes in beef marketing margin. Korean Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy. 38(1): 1-13. [in Korean]
- Jong PC, Kim H. 1994. Analysis of marketing margins and characteristics of organic products. Korean Journal of Food Marketing Economics 11(1): 1-18. [in Korean]
- Jung EK. 2010. Studies on development way and present state of actual conditions for improvement of brand value in Hoengseong Hanwoo. M.S. thesis, Sangji Univ., Wonju, Korea. [in Korean]
- KAPE (Korea Institute for Animal Products Quality Evaluation). 2011. Assessed in http://www.ekape.or.kr. [in Korean]
- KREI (Korea Rural Economic Institute). 2010. Agricultural Outlook. [in Korean]
- Kwon OO, Kim SW. 2005. Plan for brand settling and consumers' reflection on brand beef. Korean Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy 32(1): 100-120. [in Korean]
- Lee JH. 2010. A study on business strategy of the hanwoo brand. Ph.D. dissertation, Hankyung National Univ., Anseong, Korea. [in Korean]
- Lee SK. 2010. Analysis of factors affecting livestock products marketing margin. M.S. thesis, Konkuk Univ., Seoul, Korea. [in Korean]
- Marsh JM, Brester GW. 1999. Technological change in US beef and pork sectors: Impacts on farm-wholesale marketing margins and livestock prices. Trade Research Center Research Discussion Papers 29242. Montana State University.
- Park JK. 1988. A study on meat marketing margins and risk aversion of suppliers in Korea. Korean Journal of Agricultural Economics 28: 69-81. [in Korean]
- Park HW, Kim JB. 2004. A study on the brand identity of agricultural and marine product. Korean Journal of Communication Design 17: 175-186. [in Korean]
- Rhee SY, Cheon DW, Park JW. 1996. An economic study on Korean native cattle marketing and stage price Formation. Korean Journal of Agricultural Management and Policy 23(2): 109-121. [in Korean]
- Sun JA. 2010. The effect of brand type of agricultural products and brand image and consumer response. Ph.D. dissertation, Honam Univ., Gwangju, Korea. [in Korean]
- Tomek WG, Robinson KL. 2003. Agricultural Product Prices. 4th eds. Cornell University Press.
- Wohlgenant MK. 2001. Marketing Margins: Empirical Analysis. In Handbook of Agricultural Economics. Edited by Gardner BL, Rausser GC. pp. 933-970. Elsevier.