- Volume 26 Issue 6
DOI QR Code
Concentration Distribution of Polychlorinated Biphenyls(PCBs) in Urban Watershed
도심하천유역의 PCBs 농도 분포
- Kim, Hyun-Seung (Department of Environmental Engineering, Pukyong National University) ;
- Kim, Il-Kyu (Department of Environmental Engineering, Pukyong National University)
- Received : 2012.08.31
- Accepted : 2012.11.12
- Published : 2012.12.15
In this study, we have examined concentration distribution and patterns of PCBs in waters, sediments and soils in an agricultural area of South Korea to investigate the relationship between PCBs sources and concentration levels. The concentration of PCBs in water samples were ranged from lower values below detection limit to 8.25 ug/L and the concentration of PCBs in sediment samples were ranged from lower values below detection limit to 76.67 ug/Kg. The concentration of PCBs in soil samples were ranged from lower values below detection limit to 23.51 ug/Kg. These contamination levels were far below the guideline values suggested for environmental quality assessment. The homologue patterns in samples varied from sample to sample, but isomer patterns were very similar with each other. PCB-138 and PCB-153 were predominant congeners in the soil and sediment, which were similar to the results obtained from previous studies. With these results, the assessment of potential sources of PCBs contamination in the sediments of the Nakdong river basin was performed. The principal components were extracted by Principal Component Analysis(PCA). As the result of PCA, it could be expected that PCBs in samples of this study were more affected by PCB products than combustion processes and mostly affected by already-known sources. The PCBs in the soil and sediment samples were related with commercial PCB products.
- 주창한 (2008) POPs의 관리현황 및 대책, 환경관리공단
- 최달순 ( 2008) 농업환경 중 잔류성 유기오염물질의 분석평가, Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, pp.63-73.
- 최종우 (2008) 환경 중 잔류성 유기오염물질의 측정 및 분석, Korean Journal of Environmental Agriculture, pp.15-27.
- O. J. K won., J. I. Dong., K. O. Um., J. W. IM., S. J. Jun., (2007), The Characteristics of POPs(Persistant Organic Pollutants) in SWIs(Solid Waste Incinerators), 2007 KSEE Fall Conference, pp.1894-1895
- K. S. Kim., B. J. Song., J. G. Kim., K. K. Kim., (2005), A Study on Pollution Levels and Source of Polychlorinated Biphenyl (PCB) in the Ambient Air of Korea and Japan, Journal of KSEE, 27(2), pp. 170-176
- T. S. Kim., S. K. Shin., J. K. Yoon., J. H. Kim., H. S. Kim., J. A. Lee., (2007), Environmental Science : Analytical method of the polychlorinated biphenyls in soil using GC/ECD and GC/MS, Journal of Analytical Science & Technology, 20(2), pp.91-108
- G. H. Je ong., H. S. Ha., E. H. Lee., J. Y. Moon., (2005), Analysis of Polychlorinated Biphenyls from Pohang and Gangseo, Busan Area, Journal of the Korean Society for Environmental Analysis, 8(3), PP.137-142
- J. S. Jung., (2006), Estimation of the Concentration of Polychlorinated biphenyls(PCBs) in Korea, 2006 KSEE Fall Conference, pp.806-813